Nasarius Snails eating Turbo Snail

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Messages
43
Reaction score
5
Location
Philippines
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to feed the fish in the morning, then I saw three of my nasarius eating one turbo snails, the turbo snail didn't seem to be dying since I saw it last night moving in the glass, maybe it fell off and couldn't get up again? Is this a normal behaviour for nasarius?

IMG_20211020_072738.jpg
 
Unfortunately it is, and they are carnivores. I have the same issue with my 3rd and 4th gen Trochus snails. Each snail serves a purpose, and I will never say this one is bad for that reason. They are only doing what they were meant to do, clean up the tank. I will likely give away my Nassarius to another reefer as they are good at cleaning up left over food and such, but, I want to keep some other snails that I can't allow to be consumed because they fell over.
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately it is, and they are carnivores. I have the same issue with my 3rd and 4th gen Trochus snails. Each snail serves a purpose, and I will never say this one is bad for that reason. They are only doing what they were meant to do, clean up the tank. I will likely give away my Nassarius to another reefer as they are good at cleaning up left over food and such, but, I want to keep some other snails that I can't allow to be consumed because they fell over.
Nassarius aren’t super predators. I have several species that can’t right themselves in there with mine and generally I catch the ones that have fallen before they’re able to eat them. Spiny nerite snails, cerith snails, and margharita snails all coexist fine with my nassarius.
 
Nassarius aren’t super predators. I have several species that can’t right themselves in there with mine and generally I catch the ones that have fallen before they’re able to eat them. Spiny nerite snails, cerith snails, and margharita snails all coexist fine with my nassarius.
I agree, they are not out to only go after snails, but they are super opportunistic.
 
Last edited:
All is fair in aquatic Love and War. Lol! :)
 
Those could be whelk
The ones in the picture aren’t. Whelks have a tattoed trunk and a trap door that closes when they retreat into their shell that you can see on the end of their bodies when they are moving. Whelks also have a sort of different shell style. Or at least mud whelks do. Hard to explain without having one in person for me to take a picture of.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new