Naso dying

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish went through 3 weeks of cupramine, 2 rounds of prazi, and food soaked in metro for 2 weeks before going into the display. I took the naso out of qt two days ago and yesterday I noticed what looked to be flukes on my gem tang so I treated the whole display with prazi. Right after that the naso freaked out and stayed in a corner. This morning I noticed a white spot on it and it was upside down still breathing.
My main concern is whether or not I should take all my fish out as a precaution. No other fish show any symptoms of illness and this seems to be an isolated case.
This is a 180 gal mixed reef tank with a 40b sump.
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 9.8ppm
Phosphate - 0.04ppm
pH - 8.13
specific gravity - 1.025

342C0D45-CFF8-4AED-85A0-53AA91EE3985.jpeg

Last edited:

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish went through 3 weeks of cupramine, 2 rounds of prazi, and food soaked in metro for 2 weeks before going into the display. I took the naso out of qt two days ago and yesterday I noticed what looked to be flukes on my gem rang so I treated the whole display with prazi. Right after that the naso freaked out and stayed in a corner. This morning I noticed a white spot on it and it was upside down still breathing.
My main concern is whether or not I should take all my fish out as a precaution. No other fish show any symptoms of illness and this seems to be an isolated case.

This is one fish I've never had success with. Gave up after the second. Hopefully an expert can help.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
p
All my fish went through 3 weeks of cupramine, 2 rounds of prazi, and food soaked in metro for 2 weeks before going into the display. I took the naso out of qt two days ago and yesterday I noticed what looked to be flukes on my gem rang so I treated the whole display with prazi. Right after that the naso freaked out and stayed in a corner. This morning I noticed a white spot on it and it was upside down still breathing.

params?

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had any luck with Naso's lately so am interested to see the responses. One of my top 3 favorite fish and I think I've lost 3 now and am putting it on pause. Same scenario as yourself, QT'd for 30 days and was perfectly fine. Added him to display and he was acting very similarly within a few days. No issues with any other fish and I have several tangs in a 300g tank. I love these fish but won't get any more until I figure out why they aren't doing well.

OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had any luck with Naso's lately so am interested to see the responses. One of my top 3 favorite fish and I think I've lost 3 now and am putting it on pause. Same scenario as yourself, QT'd for 30 days and was perfectly fine. Added him to display and he was acting very similarly within a few days. No issues with any other fish and I have several tangs in a 300g tank. I love these fish but won't get any more until I figure out why they aren't doing well.
This is my first rodeo but I had no idea these fish were finicky like that

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a blonde naso in HS and it was a very easy fish. Where did you source it from?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The regular site
The regular site is owned by Petsmart (or maybe resold by now) and a completely different pool of fish. It's not the same quality. I would only buy from the divers den although I've heard it's been going downhill as well especially with shipping practices. Could be the naso was improperly handled and collected and no fault of your own. I'd argue they're pretty hardy fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not likely parameter issues but rather fish is moribund in which it may or not make it in this state
I can assume it stopped eating a few days ago and was listless.
you can increase aeration via air stone but in my honest opinion won’t make a difference.
Sorry to see it in this condition but Naso is often hit or miss
Diet plays a huge role with them as does water quality.

OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely parameter issues but rather fish is moribund in which it may or not make it in this state
I can assume it stopped eating a few days ago and was listless.
you can increase aeration via air stone but in my honest opinion won’t make a difference.
Sorry to see it in this condition but Naso is often hit or miss
Diet plays a huge role with them as does water quality.
Should I be concerned about the other fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No- seems confined.
do monitor ammonia-nitrate-ph- temperature to assure they’re not elevated
if the fish already went through a few rounds of prasi, would it have reacted that strong to it? maybe the prazi killed some poisonous worm or something and that already stressed fish got messed up by it. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Vreef007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, sorry to hear about the Naso. I think the issue hear is not your parameters. I think the issue is all the treatments and stress which led to a compromised immune system. Most of these fish are already nuked with medications and stress when they arrive in the states in these wholesale facilities. They are underfed and over medicated in less than ideal conditions. We then buy them and continue with the harmful medications as if we were all trained as veterinarians.. There are a few people on Reef2Reef who talk about the other approach which involves generous feeding with highly nutritious natural foods and providing suitable conditions for our fish to minimize stress. Bottom-line, stress kills. That being said, I have had the following tangs for years:

- Blue/Hippo
- Yellow
- Convict
- Tomini
- Sailfin
- Powder Blue
- Naso

All are fat, happy and exhibit vibrant colors. My secret? I acclimate them via drip for an hour and toss them straight into my display (180 gallon system or my 300 gallon system). I then feed them FishFrenzy 3-5x a day for the first few weeks in addition to Nori and a whole clam every few days. I have not lost a single Tang by doing this and most of them were purchased looking less than ideal. I'm not saying parasites or ich don't exist in my systems. What I am saying is that my fish show no signs of disease or parasites and appear to be immune due to there diet and low stress environment. Now for this to work you will need an excellent skimmer and nutrient export via water changes. I hope this helps going forward. And again, sorry to hear about your experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back