Naso tang a picky eater?

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just got my first baby naso tang. I’ve been feeding many different things to get him excited but nothing has worked so far. I’ve tired green nori, nori with garlic, PE mysis, hakari mysis, and new life spectrum pellets (small). He eats but it’s typically just a bite here and there. I see him grazing on the rocks. My other fish are not aggressive towards him and there is plenty of food. What do you feed your naso tang?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep trying with the frozen food. Baby tangs haven't really started eating much algae. Did you quarantine? Internal parasites often result in a lack of impetus to eat, but this could be fixed with a little PraziPro. I would recommend giving it a few more days with your other fish. If it still does not eat by then, I would consider medicating/observing in a separate tank. Best of luck!

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that worked for me a while back was brine shrimp enriched with spirulina or however its spelt. Bought it at petco in the frozen foods.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to pick up some brine shrimp tomorrow my LFS has live should I try that or go with the enriched frozen? He eat but not a lot like I’ll feed mysis and he will go after like one or two but that’s about it same with pellets.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above he might be ill.
Naso tangs aren’t really picky eaters once you get a healthy one. But they are very poor shippers. So newly arrived ones can need some tlc. Most important thing with new fish is to get them to start eating.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had him for about a week he eats but not much. No signs of external parasites swims like normal. Maybe it is something external...

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above he might be ill.
Naso tangs aren’t really picky eaters once you get a healthy one. But they are very poor shippers. So newly arrived ones can need some tlc. Most important thing with new fish is to get them to start eating.
sorry little sidetrack for the thread what is tlc? time love and care?

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you purchased him, did you ask the person purchased from what he was eating? It doesn't look like you have tried flake food. My suggestion would be to try Spirullina flake food.

When you say small, just how small is the Naso tang? When I purchased my blonde naso, she was maybe 3.5" and didn't have much color. He had sit in the the LFS for a month or more. At one point, mine went on a hunger strike and stopped eating everything even seaweed. But he will eat anything from my fingers when given the chance.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you purchased him, did you ask the person purchased from what he was eating? It doesn't look like you have tried flake food. My suggestion would be to try Spirullina flake food.

When you say small, just how small is the Naso tang? When I purchased my blonde naso, she was maybe 3.5" and didn't have much color. He had sit in the the LFS for a month or more. At one point, mine went on a hunger strike and stopped eating everything even seaweed. But he will eat anything from my fingers when given the chance.

He’s small right now maybe 2.5 inches not much color. I’m going by the pet store soon to get some frozen brine I’ll buy some of those flakes as well. He picks at the rocks all day and I see him eat but just not much:/ I bought him online so I couldn’t really see him in person but I’ve had him for a little over a week. Seems to like my flow and isn’t showing any signs of disease but he does get nervous whenever I stick my hand in the tank or use my magnetic scrapper. When he gets nervous he changes color/pattern but after a little it goes back to normal. I’ll update after I try the brine and flake food today.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one reason why I don’t like to buy fish online. I do understand some people don’t have as many opinions locally as we do in New York. I literally can drive 30-45 and get to 10 good lfs The first Naso I bought lasted 3 weeks. He was picking at rocks like your bought wasn’t swimming with confidence. I bought him anyway. He didn’t make it. The next one I bought I watched at local fish store. Went there 2 different times on a week. Saw him swimming. Saw him eating. Just saw him swimming with a confidence about him. That one I now have for 3 years. Eating almost everything I put in the tank. I will say out of my 10 different range I have. The naso is by far the least agressuve Tang I have in my tank. I have never seen it start a fight. Sometimes my much bigger hippo will try to start with it but it just goes about its business like nothing happened.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso L. is a trickier fish to keep than most people realize. They can be quite challenging to get eating, and are prone to hunger strikes. I’m an experience fish keeper and have had more trouble with them than almost any other tang. Just keep trying different foods and perhaps one will succeed. One of mine, for example, really went for red seaweed.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso L. is a trickier fish to keep than most people realize. They can be quite challenging to get eating, and are prone to hunger strikes. I’m an experience fish keeper and have had more trouble with them than almost any other tang. Just keep trying different foods and perhaps one will succeed. One of mine, for example, really went for red seaweed.

What brand what it? I’ll give anything a try at at this point.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not red .... purple. The stuff that two little fishies sells.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look good for the blonde naso unfortunately. Very skinny still not eating and is hardly swimming. I’ve tried many different foods and feeding multiple times a day and there is no aggression toward the fish or external parasites. It could have had something internally. This fish was not eating since I received it which is unfortunate. I bought this one from saltwaterfish.com and it’s still well within the 15 day warranty hopefully it’s not to hard to file a claim. All the other fish that came in the order are doing fine and my other fish seem to be fine as well. I’m sure by tomorrow morning it will be dead :c

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso L. is a trickier fish to keep than most people realize. They can be quite challenging to get eating, and are prone to hunger strikes.

I couldn't agree more, mine was the same way. Never had a fish do that before, couldn't believe that something that would swim around would go on hunger strikes, but my Blonde Naso sure did. Now he is a garbage disposal and poop factory, broadcasting all my Acro's. LOL

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look good for the blonde naso unfortunately. Very skinny still not eating and is hardly swimming. I’ve tried many different foods and feeding multiple times a day and there is no aggression toward the fish or external parasites. It could have had something internally. This fish was not eating since I received it which is unfortunate. I bought this one from saltwaterfish.com and it’s still well within the 15 day warranty hopefully it’s not to hard to file a claim. All the other fish that came in the order are doing fine and my other fish seem to be fine as well. I’m sure by tomorrow morning it will be dead :c

Sorry to hear that your Naso still was not eating. Do you have any update on how it is doing?

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that your Naso still was not eating. Do you have any update on how it is doing?
Yes the fish died the next morning saltwaterfish.com gave me a store credit for what I paid for the fish but I don’t think I’ll get another one after that experience. I believe the shipping process is very hard on that particular fish. I tried many different foods and was feeding multiple times a day. Nothing I could do at the end of the day. He was super skinny after not eating for almost 2 weeks. Never had a fish do this before and there was no aggression towards it and he wasn’t showing any signs of parasites. Next time I pick this fish up I’ll get it from the LFS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back