Naso Tang Question

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a lot of conflicting information about Naso tangs…some are saying that they’ve put a Naso tang in a 90g and originally I didn’t even consider the Naso because I have a 125g but there are so many saying they’re putting them in a 90g and some online platforms saying 120g is minimum whereas other platforms are saying 180 and even some are saying 300? Thoughts??

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, thinking the 18" - 24" width is a factor here.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8ft tank+ recommended for Nasos.
+1 to this, they get huge and can be highly active. The height and width both play into this as well depending on the species. If it’s a Naso unicornis then you’ll want Atleast a 3’ width with 24” height. This is to play for the fish’s max size, turning room and the height at max size, not just length.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think small juvenile naso tangs can do well in a smaller (90-125)gal BUT my thoughts are you need a good re-homing or upgrade plan for when it outgrows the tank. I see gigantic tangs (Multipe) in really small quarters at about every LFS and they live there permanently

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 6 years. It did fine in a 150 gallon but is now in a 180. I've read that they get huge but mine is maybe 8 inches after that time. I know some people say fish get stunted but internal organs continue to grow and causes death but mine sure seems healthy to me. She is fat and swims all over and makes it very difficult to photograph corals because she loves having her picture taken. From today
20221017_155405.jpg

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a reefer 625xxl which is 5 ft. long about 170 gallons. I got him as a very small juvenile maybe 2 inches. In 6 months he's already over 4 inches and quite chunky. I knew when I got him he would be rehomed in a year or so. As long as you're ok with doing that and you have a place for him I say go for it. Mine has been a fun fish and I'll probably get another juvi when this one has to be rehomed.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 6 years. It did fine in a 150 gallon but is now in a 180. I've read that they get huge but mine is maybe 8 inches after that time. I know some people say fish get stunted but internal organs continue to grow and causes death but mine sure seems healthy to me. She is fat and swims all over and makes it very difficult to photograph corals because she loves having her picture taken. From today
20221017_155405.jpg
OMG mine too! It knows the camera and is in every shot! I think because it’s just really social and likes attention and probably knows who supplies the goodies as well. We don’t have an automatic feeder

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG mine too! It knows the camera and is in every shot! I think because it’s just really social and likes attention and probably knows who supplies the goodies as well. We don’t have an automatic feeder
Same, I hand feed all of my animals. They learn who the food God is. My Naso is probably the most social fish I have. I can pet it and sometimes have to chase it away when Im working in the tank tho she always comes right back and unlike many fish she doesn't bite. One of my favorites that will be sorely missed when gone.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back