Naso Tang - what size tank is yours in?

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you with a Naso tang, what size tank are you keeping it in and if with other Tang’s which kind? I’m set on a group of 3 or 4 tangs, I want a Kole, a Convict, and either a Blue Hippo or Purple. My wife wants a Naso, or will settle for a Powder Brown. This will be for our 210 reef tank, with a 100 gal basement sump. Other planned inhabitants are a lightening maroon clown, fox face Lo, and one wrasse. Any advice appreciated.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My naso is in my 240 and he is very large and my tank is not big enough. It’ doesn’t matter now, after about owning him for a year and a half he passed but was almost 7 inches or a little over.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
660g

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own one myself but wouldn't put one in less than an 8ft tank. But that said why not switch out the naso for something else like an Achilles?
Lol, love the idea if an achilles. Just a little concerned about their aggressiveness. Have you had experience with Achilles Tangs?

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 210 I have Achilles, powder blue, purple, dej sailfin, yellow tangs. My only advice is QT everything. Also copper any new fish that I can. Powders and Achilles both are ich magnets. I have had my Achilles for 4 or 5 years now. Here is a video of feeding time

Attachments

• VID_20201104_081251358.mp4
    74.5 MB

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What naso are you asking about? I assume Lituratus, since that is the most common, but naso is a genus/group of fishes. N. Vlamingi, for example, needs a lot more space than N. Lituratus. You can probably get away with a lituratus in a 6' 180, but eventually it will outgrow the tank.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What naso are you asking about? I assume Lituratus, since that is the most common, but naso is a genus/group of fishes. N. Vlamingi, for example, needs a lot more space than N. Lituratus. You can probably get away with a lituratus in a 6' 180, but eventually it will outgrow the tank.
Yeah, blonde naso. My wife loves that fish. Would a Blue Hippo tang be ok in my 210? My general feeling is to avoid the larger tangs if I’m keeping multiples, but I would really like a Blue.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, love the idea if an achilles. Just a little concerned about their aggressiveness. Have you had experience with Achilles Tangs?
I have 11 tangs in my 300g. Blonde Naso, Achilles, Fowleri, Convict, White Tail Bristletooth, Blue Hippo, Purple, Powder Blue and 3 Lavendar Tangs. From my experience, the Powder Blue and Achilles are extreme bullies. Not as bad as Sohal and Clown Tangs, but right behind them. My powder Blue was bullying my blue hippo who was twice its size. Once I added my Achilles they went at it for an hour or so...eventually the Achilles claimed the throne. My Achilles won't really mess with my much larger Blonde Naso though. But any other tang would get chased now and then. I got my Achilles at juvenile stage too...before there was any teardrop. Now he's developed a nice medium sized teardrop in less than a year and his growth outpaced the powder blue. Love my Achilles.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 104 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back