Naso Tang tank size requirements

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking these up on Live aquaria and min tank size says 180 gallons. However most have told me they need a bigger tank, 300+. The tank is a Visio 210, 6 x 2 x 30" deep. What is your experience keeping a naso tang, what other tangs did you have it with, what tank size?

Appreciate all the advice!
IMG_8855.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking these up on Live aquaria and min tank size says 180 gallons. However most have told me they need a bigger tank, 300+. The tank is a Visio 210, 6 x 2 x 30" deep. What is your experience keeping a naso tang, what other tangs did you have it with, what tank size?

Appreciate all the advice!
IMG_8855.jpeg
I wrote an article on swimming space for fish:

Jay

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 6' tank is the very bare minimum, but in the long run, this is a fish which really ought to have a 10' tank. This is a 16" pelagic fish, basically a small vegetarian tuna. It swims like a tuna, looks like a tuna, and acts like a tuna. Personally, I wouldn't put it in there. You could get away with it, and the fish would probably live out its lifespan barring accident/illness, there are enough in 6' tanks to prove that. I'd stick to a smaller species, though.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 25 years ago, my friend kept a naso in 6 ft (180 or 210) tank. We both agreed it needed a bigger tank.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently rehomed my blonde Naso. Got him when he was about 2.5 inches. In just over 2 years he was probably 6-7 inches and very plump and streamers were growing. He wasn't stressing or anything but I knew he needed to go to a bigger tank. That was in my 5 ft. tank 170 gallons. I don't see an issue but you will have to rehome it at some point. If you're willing and able to do that then go for it.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently rehomed my blonde Naso. Got him when he was about 2.5 inches. In just over 2 years he was probably 6-7 inches and very plump and streamers were growing. He wasn't stressing or anything but I knew he needed to go to a bigger tank. That was in my 5 ft. tank 170 gallons. I don't see an issue but you will have to rehome it at some point. If you're willing and able to do that then go for it.
TBH this is kind of the plan, start small and rehome before it gets too large or... and hear me out... upgrade the tank xD.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That’s plenty big for a small starter. But when it his the 6-7” range in 2ish years and starts having streamers that’s when they are gorgeous. And that’s when you’ll need to find it a new home. Problem is goodluck finding a much bigger tank anyways.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which species?

Exactly - some Naso get huge. I'm assuming that the OP has a Naso elegans or literatus. Those reach about 11" in captivity. I ran the numbers through the formula in my article and got a ratio of tank size to adult fish length of 8.8. The cut off is 8.0 So, based on that, this fish *could* live its life in that sized aquarium, but just barely. Also, the formula only accounts for one fish at a time.....

Jay

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Naso and purple have been with me over 6 years in a 180 6x2x2ft. Also in the tank are a convict 2.5 years, blue hippo 4.5 years and a yellow a little over 1year. I have zero aggression and they all just cruise the tank. Mine don't pace the tank like I have seen some fish do. I did have a vlamingii that paced a bit but I lost it to velvet.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Naso and purple have been with me over 6 years in a 180 6x2x2ft. Also in the tank are a convict 2.5 years, blue hippo 4.5 years and a yellow a little over 1year. I have zero aggression and they all just cruise the tank. Mine don't pace the tank like I have seen some fish do. I did have a vlamingii that paced a bit but I lost it to velvet.
Awesome! Can I see the tank in its current glory? I am curious how you setup your live rock. What species of Naso was it?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Can I see the tank in its current glory? I am curious how you setup your live rock. What species of Naso was it?
Naso lituratus I believe. No streamers so I assume female but not positive that is a way to sex them. A couple shots from a moment ago
20231215_113556.jpg

20231215_113818.jpg

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded tanks last year from a 65 gallon to a 180 (6x2x2). With the main reason of being able to get my dream fish, a blonde nasso.
Once I got the tank and started doing research I pretty much talked myself out of it.. but fast forward to yesterday and I came home with a blonde nasso. My LFS has had it for 2 months and he swore to me he’d take it back the second I ever feel my tank is too small. I hope that will be a very long time, the guy(?) is in quarantine now and currently about 6”.
Based on research, I do expect it to outgrow my tank but we will see. I have 4 gyres and lots of flow.
IMG_0879.jpeg

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded tanks last year from a 65 gallon to a 180 (6x2x2). With the main reason of being able to get my dream fish, a blonde nasso.
Once I got the tank and started doing research I pretty much talked myself out of it.. but fast forward to yesterday and I came home with a blonde nasso. My LFS has had it for 2 months and he swore to me he’d take it back the second I ever feel my tank is too small. I hope that will be a very long time, the guy(?) is in quarantine now and currently about 6”.
Based on research, I do expect it to outgrow my tank but we will see. I have 4 gyres and lots of flow.
IMG_0879.jpeg
Can you explain why the flow may help? Just trying to get all the info I can about adding tangs

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain why the flow may help? Just trying to get all the info I can about adding tangs
My thought is they are swimming fish. I personally feel like it can’t hurt if they are constantly “swimming “. The tank is mixed reef but heavy towards acros.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically a fish treadmill?
Yeah I guess so :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I currently have a few other loved fish and this will be the last addition aside from chromis and anthias in the future. The last big fish. Other big ones are a med sized purple tang and a big foxface along with smaller bristletooth and hippo.

I’m hoping for the best but fully prepared to rehome something if necessary with a couple places that could provide it.

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess so :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I currently have a few other loved fish and this will be the last addition aside from chromis and anthias in the future. The last big fish. Other big ones are a med sized purple tang and a big foxface along with smaller bristletooth and hippo.

I’m hoping for the best but fully prepared to rehome something if necessary with a couple places that could provide it.
Good luck

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back