nassarius or welk?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shibaken3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I think my whelk has a tiny little snail cover trap door where my nass did not?

Edit: found a photo online of the door

763CF139-777E-4DA7-8642-3A5EF329FD68.jpeg
Those are predatory, and not Nassarius spp.

A shortcut way to identify them is when the snail is retracted into the shell and you are looking down from the top of the shell, the front of the shell should be round, not tapered to a point (like your snails are).

edit I hope you don't mind I copied your pictures @Tamberav @WheatToast

nassarius vs whelk.png
 
Last edited:
Those are predatory, and not Nassarius spp.

A shortcut way to identify them is when the snail is retracted into the shell and you are looking down from the top of the shell, the front of the shell should be round, not tapered to a point (like your snails are).

sorry I wasn’t clear I don’t think. I know they are not nass :) was trying to show a pic of an actual whelk.

Thank you for the explanation of the shell. That is the info I was looking for!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new