Nassarius Snail

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many nassarius snails can I put in a 34 gallon aquarium?
I'd go no more than 10 - especially if it's a new tank! It also depends on the rest of your CUC. It's better to add more down the road should you need to.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read 1 to 2 snails per gallon but personally I would start with 15 or so in a 34g. Do you have a sand bed and how long has the tank been running. Reason I ask is because nassarius snails don't eat algae and require a mature sand bed or will need supplemental feedings to keep from starving. If you see them on the glass it ussualy means there isn't enough food for them.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm different, I'm satisfied with 3 or 4 in my tanks. I don't like too snails too much

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm different, I'm satisfied with 3 or 4 in my tanks. I don't like too snails too much
You got to do what's right for you mate :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I would much rather start small and add a little down the line as required. I did what many new reefers do when they start and just bought a 'CUC pack' without thinking too much about what- and how many.

10 in a 34 gallon is probably too much in my opinion as well- I went with "no more than 10" as a general rule of thumb.

I have a 135 gallon tank running; I couldn't really tell you though how many snails, crabs, conches etc. I actually have. The tank looks good, everything seems to thrive and nutrients are in control so it is probably the right number :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I had sand in my tanks I used to buy nassarius off ebay 100 at a time but the tanks were 150g and 180g at the time with 3-4 inch sand beds. For me they aren't a snail I would even bother putting in a new tank.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends do you have a pistol shrimp? Mine constantly eats the snails. Find their shells out out front of his hole as he shovels it out.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back