Nassarius?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HYPERMELANISTIC NASSARIUS SNAIL.jpg

Picked this guy up along with a few more nassarius to supplement my existing population. It's different than the rest or pictures I've seen before. Either it's a hypermelanistic variant or something else. Not burring itself.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for one idk if they can burrow in rocks, thats some thick substrate. It isnt a "super tongan" so its not huge, but looks normal, body is white too. IDK what you mean by it being more colored, thats just the way its shell looks.
Those stray rocks. Reborn coral skeletons. The other 13 have no issue burying themselves. This guy on the other hand prefers to stay up top. Might dig in a little. Although at times can’t find them and either all fish in, under crevices or perhaps behind the rocks.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes mine are up looking for food on rocks and glass
I feed them Hikari algae wafers and Massivore Delite and oddly they all either eat or don’t eat. Therefore now I just feed them when they are seen out cruising for food at night. Seems they either go off feed for a few days or perhaps munching on detritus. Funnies is that if I lift rocks up I often find them hanging in groups like that zombie scene from I Am Legend.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them Hikari algae wafers and Massivore Delite and oddly they all either eat or don’t eat. Therefore now I just feed them when they are seen out cruising for food at night. Seems they either go off feed for a few days or perhaps munching on detritus. Funnies is that if I lift rocks up I often find them hanging in groups like that zombie scene from I Am Legend.
They want meaty food

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarious vibrex ? I think its spelt

Edit: I have 2 kinds of nassariups snail and seems the more black one is vibe and one's that look like yours are tonga
Which kind of variant I cant help
Found second tonga nassarious snail and more olive colour shell like yours,I have nearly pure white variant.
But saying that,yours could have algae on it from not burying under sand during daylight hours.

Dont they say nass snails buty and whelks dont ( even though nass snail a kind of whelk ) but maybe yours weaker amd cant bury in such big substrate

Alot of buts hey ^_^
Screenshot_20220129-181401_Google.jpg Screenshot_20220129-181656_Google.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarious vibrex ? I think its spelt

Edit: I have 2 kinds of nassariups snail and seems the more black one is vibe and one's that look like yours are tonga
Which kind of variant I cant help
Found second tonga nassarious snail and more olive colour shell like yours,I have nearly pure white variant.
But saying that,yours could have algae on it from not burying under sand during daylight hours.

Dont they say nass snails buty and whelks dont ( even though nass snail a kind of whelk ) but maybe yours weaker amd cant bury in such big substrate

Alot of buts hey ^_^
Screenshot_20220129-181401_Google.jpg Screenshot_20220129-181656_Google.jpg
My concern is that it’s a whelk but it but never seen one of those. Don’t think it has any algae on the shell. Seems to perhaps be lacking some melanism such as the light colored one you posted.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way " apparently " is to look under it and if snail can completely put itself in and use its trap door thing to close itself in then it's a whelk .
If cannot like still a gap between flesh and shell then a nass snail
But let me try find someone else's explanation as will be better than mine no doubt lol
My concern is that it’s a whelk but it but never seen one of those. Don’t think it has any algae on the shell. Seems to perhaps be lacking some melanism such as the light colored one you posted.

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do not not eat algae, they eat detritus and other scraps. also they likely are mostly "super tongan" besides the smaller one

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do not not eat algae, they eat detritus and other scraps. also they likely are mostly "super tongan" besides the smaller one
Never said they eat algae. If you go back and read all my posts on this thread you'll see I mentioned they are there strictly for detritus and fish death. Perhaps my mentioning they eat wafers but that's what they do. Algae wafers are intended for my margaritas who seem to ignore them. My new urchin on the other hand seeks them out along with the Hikari Massivore Delite which is a meaty food and enjoyed by the nassarius.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never said they eat algae. If you go back and read all my posts on this thread you'll see I mentioned they are there strictly for detritus and fish death. Perhaps my mentioning they eat wafers but that's what they do. Algae wafers are intended for my margaritas who seem to ignore them. My new urchin on the other hand seeks them out along with the Hikari Massivore Delite which is a meaty food and enjoyed by the nassarius.
sorry, in a few threads and it gets confusing. Anyways, if you have urchins you could get an urchin hat, it helps stop urchins from picking stuff up as much and looks amazing

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, in a few threads and it gets confusing. Anyways, if you have urchins you could get an urchin hat, it helps stop urchins from picking stuff up as much and looks amazing
This guys picks everything up then sheds it. I'll skip the hat. LOL

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sea-urchins-top-hat.jpeg

Trying to spread it out so that its fully covered I think, but hats are amazing either way
Good thing I wasn't drinking my red bull. Would have spit it all over my monitor. LOL

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back