Nate's SCA 50g build

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uranium Bounce Shroom. They are more lime green. I got a big one in a trade, then it split when I put it in my tank.
I'm going to have to search for some. Those are gorgeous! I wish there were more local hobbyists in my area, or at least a reef club for trades and stuff. At least MACNA will be in my city next year, but that's next year lol When I can get a steadier income I'll most likely begin collecting bounces like that.

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to search for some. Those are gorgeous! I wish there were more local hobbyists in my area, or at least a reef club for trades and stuff. At least MACNA will be in my city next year, but that's next year lol When I can get a steadier income I'll most likely begin collecting bounces like that.
Hopefully the shows will pick back up next year. And jobs too.
I was just in the right place at the right time kinda thing for that shroom. Idk if I would buy one from a LFS, as they are a bit expensive. I think the Uranium version is one of the cheaper kinds.

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral update- Tank is moving along slowly. I had RTN in my Red Planet frag, but I've been adding more SPS since then. Keep on keeping on, as they say! I have a JF Fruity Pebbles Monti, JF Freak Hair Pavona, a big rock of SonicTheHedgehog Galexia, Rainbow Pocilliopora, RR Prometheus Acro, Rainbow Millie, and 3 $10 nubs that I'm not sure what they will be. In the past 2-3 weeks, I haven't seen any of the stringy mucus stuff, so that's a plus.
Fish update- I added and African Flameback Angelfish, who has been a model citizen and not picking on any corals. And about 2 weeks later, I lost another Midas Blenny. I'm not sure what is going on. This one was itchy and would swim down and rub against the sand. Then eventually seemed to lose weight and one day was in the rocks dead. My wife now calls this tank, the tank of death. I still have the Flame Hawk, Clownfish, and Flameback Angel.

Her's a pic of my Flameback Angel. Smh. And picked up a torch last week.

20201028_220748-02.jpeg
20201030_204903-01.jpeg

FTS

20201028_220250-01.jpeg

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Maxspect Jump led light so far?
I like it. Minus the initial headaches ( which I didn't mentioned in my build thread, but I did here... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/maxspect-jump-led-165.739660/post-8161041 ), I think it's a great light. It gives great coverage on my 24" x 24" cube. The schedule is easy to customize, set, and share. And you can't beat the price. If you are considering it, then I would recommend Marine Depot Black Friday Sale, since it's 10% off right now. I've attached a link below.

Maxspect JUMP LED - 65W Reef Light (MJ-L165)

ZenReef81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Minus the initial headaches ( which I didn't mentioned in my build thread, but I did here... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/maxspect-jump-led-165.739660/post-8161041 ), I think it's a great light. It gives great coverage on my 24" x 24" cube. The schedule is easy to customize, set, and share. And you can't beat the price. If you are considering it, then I would recommend Marine Depot Black Friday Sale, since it's 10% off right now. I've attached a link below.

Maxspect JUMP LED - 65W Reef Light (MJ-L165)
Thanks for the information and the link!

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for the month of November... Man, this tank is something else!
Unfortunately lost the flameback angel. IDK what happened, was eating and then stopped. So I'm left with a clown and the flamehawk, the two that have been in there the longest. I've decided to stop adding any new fish until things settle down.
Started dosing Reef Pro Complete AB, started with a schedule of 3 x 1ml of each daily (3ml total/day). Then each week I increased it 3 x 1ml (6ml total then 9ml total). Well my Cal elevated a little, but my Alk shot up to 10.2 from 8.0. So decided to cut it back this week to 7ml total/day for a few days, and now I'm at 5ml total/day. I also did a water change and now my Alk is in the low 9s. My mistake was not checking it more often. Live and learn!
The white stringy mucus stuff is back. This time it doesn't seem to want to go away. It reminds me of Vermatid Snails and how they feed, but this comes from the rocks or a frag plug. I've tried two doses of Dr. Tim's Waste-Away Sludge Busting Bacteria, but idk if that's doing anything.
Corals... I added a JF Burning Banana and a Holy Grail Micromussa. Wow, the colors on the HGM! I'll try to snap a picture this weekend. Also, a local reefer gave me some small SPS pieces of RR Pink Caddy, Tubbs Stellata, and a name I can't remember. They are small and free, so we'll see what happens. I've started to see some encrusting on the other corals in the tank, so that's good. I lost my aleveapora this past week and I think a rock flower anemone is missing. I can only assume it was from the high Alk. Hopefully none of the acros will bleach or anything happen to the HGM. Fingers crossed (as always with this tank)!!!

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December update...
It's hard not to add any fish when you only have two fish. So during Christmas, I got another Midas Blenny, the third one now, his name is Curious George. And I got a red firefish, Marshmallow. My LFS will quarantine the fish in copper for two weeks for me, so that's nice. So far they seem to be model citizens. For these two fish, I also used Blue Life Safety Stop to "quarantine" the fish. They didn't have any issues with the two 45 min baths. After placing the Midas into the tank, I then noticed white poo. It would poop long white strings continuously, about the size of it's body. I got some API General Cure and Seachem Focus, then mixed it with some food, and fed all the fish the medicated food twice a day. After about 5 days, the Midas Blenny now has regular poop. Looking at fish poo, my favorite.
I also added a few new corals to the tank. A gold frogspawn and a teal frogspawn. The gold is huge and was only $75. The green wasn't looking too good, but it was too cheap, so worth a shot. It perked up a little, but now I think it's a gonner, but I did notice some teeny tiny baby heads starting. I'll leave it in to see what happens with it. Also I added a wild acro, it's a good size and kinda a green-aqua color. And some rainbow acans. Moved my gold hammer to a low flow area, it was getting blasted and was retracting. It was right next to my green hammer, which seems to like the flow.
The light had some more issues. This time with the app. I borrowed a par meter to check some things. I went to open the app, and none of my previous settings were there. While trying to load one, the app crashed, and then wouldn't do anything at all. After a week or so talking with Maxspect, they determined it was an error with the Android 11 software and they eventually emailed me a new app update. Now the app works back to usual and I had to give back the par meter before I got to use it.
I also finally added a RODI system and set that up. I also got a Flipper Deep Sea Viewer. I think my hawkfish likes it too much.

Attachments

• 20201231_204701.jpg
    20201231_204701.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of pics from yesterday's water change. The tank is looking really nice lately. The bloom that I get sometimes has went away and the water is super clear.
I need to figure out how to take better coral pics. Not really happy with the quality of these when zooming in.

20210110_124319.jpg 20210110_124244.jpg 20210110_124152.jpg 20210110_124208.jpg 20210110_124008.jpg 20210110_123941.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of pics from yesterday's water change. The tank is looking really nice lately. The bloom that I get sometimes has went away and the water is super clear.
I need to figure out how to take better coral pics. Not really happy with the quality of these when zooming in.

20210110_124319.jpg 20210110_124244.jpg 20210110_124152.jpg 20210110_124208.jpg 20210110_124008.jpg 20210110_123941.jpg
The tank is looking wonderful man!

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking wonderful man!
Thanks! This rockwork looks cool, but it's difficult to place things correctly. Either too much light or too much flow! And the highest lighting is down the center of the tank where I have no rocks! What was I thinking! Lol.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good mate. I just place stuff where I think they will look good and then keep my fingers crossed in hope that they get enough flow and light!

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Survived the winter storm last week... Sunday the house heater quit working... Monday morning we had snow, the power went out and water pressure was minimal. Tuesday turned off the main water to the house and went to stay at elsewhere. Power came back on 56 hours later and got the heater working again on Saturday. What an adventure.

Monday morning cranked up the generator (Rainier R2200i - 1800w running) on my two tanks (2-3 heaters and a wavemaker). Gas in the tank lasted about 10-11hrs with that load, just enough to fill it up at 10pm and refill it at 8am. Felt silly telling people that I have a generator for my fish tanks, but we gotta do what we do to survive.

Mostly everything survived. My fish are still swimming and corals look good. I may have lost an acan and my tubbs stellata, but not sure yet.

20210218_170410.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local online vendor, Unlimited Color Corals, had a valentines day live sale on Feb 13th. I bought some corals and picked them up Sunday before the storm. IDK what I was thinking, but they all survived (so far).

Moved my Sonic The Hedgehog Galaxea to my 20g to make room.

Also added a sand sifting starfish recently.

About a week before, I moved my barnacle blenny from my 20g to this tank.

Been adding zoas to the zoa rock.

CC Cloudberries Chalice
Screenshot_2021-02-24 34P2110391_1024x1024 2x jpg (WEBP Image, 1711 × 1283 pixels) — Scaled (4...png

UCC Tiger Eye Lithophyllon
Screenshot_2021-02-24 82P2110340_1024x1024 2x jpg (WEBP Image, 1711 × 1283 pixels) — Scaled (4...png

UCC Starburst Micro Goni
Screenshot_2021-02-24 1P2110354_1024x1024 2x jpg (WEBP Image, 1711 × 1283 pixels) — Scaled (42%).png

UCC Meteor Shower Cyphastrea
Screenshot_2021-02-24 P2110309_1024x1024 2x jpg (WEBP Image, 1711 × 1283 pixels) — Scaled (42%).png

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Survived the winter storm last week... Sunday the house heater quit working... Monday morning we had snow, the power went out and water pressure was minimal. Tuesday turned off the main water to the house and went to stay at elsewhere. Power came back on 56 hours later and got the heater working again on Saturday. What an adventure.

Monday morning cranked up the generator (Rainier R2200i - 1800w running) on my two tanks (2-3 heaters and a wavemaker). Gas in the tank lasted about 10-11hrs with that load, just enough to fill it up at 10pm and refill it at 8am. Felt silly telling people that I have a generator for my fish tanks, but we gotta do what we do to survive.

Mostly everything survived. My fish are still swimming and corals look good. I may have lost an acan and my tubbs stellata, but not sure yet.

20210218_170410.jpg
That sounds like an adventure! Glad everyone survived okay, power outages are a nightmare with tanks.

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been doing good. I added a few more acros. And switched my lights to two Kessil a360x with narrow reflectors. Which is probably overkill, but I'm sure they will throw out more par than the Jump light and help eliminate any shadows.
I did add two Chalk Bass which have settled in nicely. They are always out and about, which my wife loves. IDK if my fire fish is still alive though. I don't really see it that much, even when feeding. Hopefully it hasn't kicked the bucket.

20210317_202713.jpg

BrandonT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December update...
It's hard not to add any fish when you only have two fish. So during Christmas, I got another Midas Blenny, the third one now, his name is Curious George. And I got a red firefish, Marshmallow. My LFS will quarantine the fish in copper for two weeks for me, so that's nice. So far they seem to be model citizens. For these two fish, I also used Blue Life Safety Stop to "quarantine" the fish. They didn't have any issues with the two 45 min baths. After placing the Midas into the tank, I then noticed white poo. It would poop long white strings continuously, about the size of it's body. I got some API General Cure and Seachem Focus, then mixed it with some food, and fed all the fish the medicated food twice a day. After about 5 days, the Midas Blenny now has regular poop. Looking at fish poo, my favorite.
I also added a few new corals to the tank. A gold frogspawn and a teal frogspawn. The gold is huge and was only $75. The green wasn't looking too good, but it was too cheap, so worth a shot. It perked up a little, but now I think it's a gonner, but I did notice some teeny tiny baby heads starting. I'll leave it in to see what happens with it. Also I added a wild acro, it's a good size and kinda a green-aqua color. And some rainbow acans. Moved my gold hammer to a low flow area, it was getting blasted and was retracting. It was right next to my green hammer, which seems to like the flow.
The light had some more issues. This time with the app. I borrowed a par meter to check some things. I went to open the app, and none of my previous settings were there. While trying to load one, the app crashed, and then wouldn't do anything at all. After a week or so talking with Maxspect, they determined it was an error with the Android 11 software and they eventually emailed me a new app update. Now the app works back to usual and I had to give back the par meter before I got to use it.
I also finally added a RODI system and set that up. I also got a Flipper Deep Sea Viewer. I think my hawkfish likes it too much.
Hey would you mind sharing your light intensity and schedule? I’m starting up my reef tank and got the maxspect jump leds but I can’t find a lot of information on the spectrum necessities. Thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back