Nat's 25 Gallon Macro Predator Lagoon

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2023
Messages
43
Reaction score
41
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing my new build!

Background:

I currently have a 16 gallon mixed reef that started as a macro tank but ended up switching it to coral about a year ago. However, I got the macro itch again and moved into a larger space so I pulled the trigger on a IM Nuvo 25 Lagoon. I had an old full spectrum planted LED lying around and I am about ready to get started.

The Vision:
I want to have a tank that does three things:
1) Showcases macro algae prominently
2) Grows a mangrove
3) Features a non-reef safe predator I would not be able to keep in a reef.


Planned Equipment:

**Main Light** - Finnex Planted+
**Mangrove Light** - Random Amazon LED Grow Light
**AIO Aquarium** - IM 25 Lagoon
**Stand** - Duratech Bench
**Return Pump** - Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 w/ Y connector
**Heater** - 150W Eheim Jager
**ATO** - Tunze Osmolator 3 Nano


Planned Stocking:
Honestly, right now I want to do a frogfish. Not sure how feasible this in this setup but this is where I am leaning.

Also, open to suggestions of other oddball predators or fish that fit the lagoon vibe.


Planned Macros/Coral:

-Caulerpa
-Red Ogo
-Blue Hypnea
-Maybe a big old toadstool or leather coral depending on if the fish I get would chomp it


Progress So Far:

So far I have built the stand and unboxed the aquarium basically. Getting everything level and finding a good spot for it was a little challenging but it is all set now.

Let me what you all thinK!
PXL_20251008_030719030.jpg
 
For stocking I am between 3 rough options:

1. A pair of leaf scorpionfish
2. A warty frogfish
3. A saddle valentini puffer

I think I am far undersized for a dwarf lion but those are awesome as well.
 
Following along!
 
Final stocking looking something like this:

1x Valentini Puffer
2x Yellowspotted Scorpionfish

As for coral:
-Large toadstool
-Gorgonians

Macro algae will stay about what I expected:
-Caulerpa
-Red Ogo
-Blue Hypnea

Wildcard:
-MANGROVE

Don't really think hermits would survive the puffer so I will maybe try just some large snails as a CUC.

Hoping that feeding the puffer frequently enough will prevent too much snail attacking haha.
 
Final stocking looking something like this:

1x Valentini Puffer
2x Yellowspotted Scorpionfish

As for coral:
-Large toadstool
-Gorgonians

Macro algae will stay about what I expected:
-Caulerpa
-Red Ogo
-Blue Hypnea

Wildcard:
-MANGROVE

Don't really think hermits would survive the puffer so I will maybe try just some large snails as a CUC.

Hoping that feeding the puffer frequently enough will prevent too much snail attacking haha.

I may have to copy you although I really want a Mandarin lol or possible a possum wrasse. The scorpion fish & puffer are so cool though too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new