Natural Aiptasia predators

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef 2 months ago. I found 1 aiptasia about the size of a quarter last night. :( I want to introduce some aiptasia predators so that long term maintenance is built into my solution. Plus I am lazy. ;) A copperband is more than I want to take on right now, just too delicate this stage in my tank. Im in a toss up between a file fish and peppermint shrimp. Im reading that there are many types of peppermints, that there is only one that eats aiptasia and they are hard to tell the difference. I also have a coral banded shrimp I am concerned wouldnt play well. I am interested in a file fish too. Some things I have read is they nip coral. Does any have first hand experience with either of these two? Thanks!

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have peppermint shrimp in all my tanks and haven't seen a single piece of aiptasia in months. It's not specific types of peppermints its camel shrimp (BAD) vs peppermint shrimp. They are similar in color but camels have a big bump on their back. I do think that your coral banded will attempt to make a meal out of them, however a friend has peppermints and CB and they seem to be faster. I also have mine with a pistol shrimp with no issues. File fish I've heard good and bad, I just hope you dont have any duncans as I heard they are a tasty treat.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef 2 months ago. I found 1 aiptasia about the size of a quarter last night. :( I want to introduce some aiptasia predators so that long term maintenance is built into my solution. Plus I am lazy. ;) A copperband is more than I want to take on right now, just too delicate this stage in my tank. Im in a toss up between a file fish and peppermint shrimp. Im reading that there are many types of peppermints, that there is only one that eats aiptasia and they are hard to tell the difference. I also have a coral banded shrimp I am concerned wouldnt play well. I am interested in a file fish too. Some things I have read is they nip coral. Does any have first hand experience with either of these two? Thanks!
Yes, first hand experience peppermint shrimp also ate hammer corals. Not nip. ATE FOUR HEADS before we finally caught and removed peppermint from main tank. File fish might also have problems with your corals. I'm hoping my hammers might bounce back, but so far not a peek of flesh has come out since peppermints removed. My sun corals can retract significantly, which is where my (unfounded) hope is coming.

First, hoping you tossed whatever aiptasia was on along with aiptasia itself. Don't scrub ever as each tiny bit can become another whole aiptasia. Frank's F-Aiptasia is good product that smothers over aiptasia - BRS just came out with video for his product, but Frank's is LFS to me and well know down here (product has gone international).

Finally, work on your QT/dip procedures, as if that wasn't the only one, once you get these under control you aren't ever going want to re-introduce another! BRS has good dip video too. I've expanded to use all three types (Bayer would count as 4th type: insecticide (not in video), and likely I should think about Bayer too)

Good luck

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia Nudibranch
+1 berghia
+1 F-Aiptasia

if you get a berghia, then you should pass it along to someone else with aiptasia before it starves :( agree this is best reef animal solution. F-Aiptasia is harmless and good treatment, plus can smother over aiptasia where berghia can't get

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, first hand experience peppermint shrimp also ate hammer corals. Not nip. ATE FOUR HEADS before we finally caught and removed peppermint from main tank. File fish might also have problems with your corals. I'm hoping my hammers might bounce back, but so far not a peek of flesh has come out since peppermints removed. My sun corals can retract significantly, which is where my (unfounded) hope is coming.

First, hoping you tossed whatever aiptasia was on along with aiptasia itself. Don't scrub ever as each tiny bit can become another whole aiptasia. Frank's F-Aiptasia is good product that smothers over aiptasia - BRS just came out with video for his product, but Frank's is LFS to me and well know down here (product has gone international).

Finally, work on your QT/dip procedures, as if that wasn't the only one, once you get these under control you aren't ever going want to re-introduce another! BRS has good dip video too. I've expanded to use all three types (Bayer would count as 4th type: insecticide (not in video), and likely I should think about Bayer too)

Good luck

Now you got me nervous. I have 3 hammers, 1 frammer, 3 torches and an octospawn with my peppermint. I've never even seen them get close to any of them though.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 peppermint which eradicated the aiptasia but had to rehome one that went after a Cespitularia frag. I have tried bergia nudi with partial success as they didn't eradicated all aiptasia. Also tried a few other methods to include Kalk, Lemon Juice, Joe Juice with partial success.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple aiptasia eating file fish I would say about 30% of the ones I have tired nipped sps. When they did they are pretty easy to catch so I would take them back and try a new one.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy!!

Attachments

• 20210409_233127.jpg
    20210409_233127.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 54

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you got me nervous. I have 3 hammers, 1 frammer, 3 torches and an octospawn with my peppermint. I've never even seen them get close to any of them though.
Months we were fine.... until we were not fine...

Then, hammers and frogspawn seemed withdrawn bit... Tested EVERYTHING. Tested EVERYTHING AGAIN. Read it could be peppermints (at this point, starting to lose first hammer). BF wouldn't believe it. Caught peppermint at it. BF said just eating dead tissue as they are CUC after all... Tested EVERYTHING AGAIN. Sent out water sample (everything fine, posted result in my build thread). FINALLY caught those fast guys using fish trap and instead of moving to sump they went to QT which turned out to have salinity difference so they died while I was at funeral back East (funeral for my dad, not shrimp).

Two hammers and 1 frogspawn survived peppermints. Four hammers died :(

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then they starve when you run out of aiptasia. Are they easy to find and rehome?
Yes... you'll see them on your glass looking for food when they run out of Aiptasia. I breed them... you could easily resell the nudibranch and make some of your money back to a local or give them away to a buddy who needs them.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have peppermint shrimp in all my tanks and haven't seen a single piece of aiptasia in months. It's not specific types of peppermints its camel shrimp (BAD) vs peppermint shrimp. They are similar in color but camels have a big bump on their back. I do think that your coral banded will attempt to make a meal out of them, however a friend has peppermints and CB and they seem to be faster. I also have mine with a pistol shrimp with no issues. File fish I've heard good and bad, I just hope you dont have any duncans as I heard they are a tasty treat.
I've got both in one tank. As long as your tank is big enough to allow the peppermints stay away from your Cb should be fine.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bug my couple of aipstatia every so often to throw off spawns for my bergula nudibranchs to eat and maintain at a level to reproduce, but not invasive enough to starve themselves out.
They are beautiful little critters, I would recommend having them to everyone.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenia looks like food to them.. We all have to eat. Ha!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back