OP
OP
A

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, so I’m in search of the blue stripe pipefish. All my lfs suppliers currently don’t have any. So any one know good sites find them or know some where else I could find them?
Well thankfully the supplier has them in stock! But hopefully after this week if things don’t get worse I can have them!

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the blue stripes are usually seasonal. You should see a lot more coming in the spring I believe. I had a m/f pair for a few years and they were awesome to watch! Right now I have a dragonface in my 30g, only fish in the tank.

OP
OP
A

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the blue stripes are usually seasonal. You should see a lot more coming in the spring I believe. I had a m/f pair for a few years and they were awesome to watch! Right now I have a dragonface in my 30g, only fish in the tank.
Literally the day before you said this the supplier got them in stock ha! Did not know they were seasonal, my lfs going thru some trouble with all going on now but maybe next week I can get them order some.

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally the day before you said this the supplier got them in stock ha! Did not know they were seasonal, my lfs going thru some trouble with all going on now but maybe next week I can get them order some.

Nice. Ya theyre great fish. Youll enjoy them for sure.

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I hope, I’ve always struggled with fish in this hobby. Just hope I can’t keep them alive and get them eat
If you have a nice population of copepods youll be good. Thats pretty much all theyll eat, at least in the beginnin. I was able to get mine to eat frozen pods after a while. They love tiger pods but those wont really reproduce in the tank. Tisbe pods are also good and you can get a nice population going.

OP
OP
A

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a nice population of copepods youll be good. Thats pretty much all theyll eat, at least in the beginnin. I was able to get mine to eat frozen pods after a while. They love tiger pods but those wont really reproduce in the tank. Tisbe pods are also good and you can get a nice population going.
I seeded my tank with apex pods awhile ago and feed my tank/sump with phyto every few days, i know apex breed like every 4-6 days so I hope have good bit in there

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep those guys in my ref, and they are always pregnant, like here.

Fairly common but I haven't seen any in a while. They are normally pretty cheap too.

Are those bluestripe pipefish? How do you keep them from going down the overflow?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had bluestripe pipefish and they spawn constantly.

I don't have a sump, so I don't have an overflow. :p

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep those guys in my ref, and they are always pregnant, like here.

Fairly common but I haven't seen any in a while. They are normally pretty cheap too.

Hey Paul,
What are you feeding in that video?
And how is that feeding contraption set up?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SMSREEF. That is a feeder that I invented years ago. You load it with new born brine shrimp and it feeds all day. Thats why my pipefish, mandarins, and all other small fish spawn continuously.

For bluestripe pipefish, they require no care, you just need a tank that is not sterile and has some algae growing on the back and side glass. They hunt there all day. But a new tank is not good for them.

They live about 5 years as think that is about their lifespan.

Pregnant pipe

1589115844110.png

1589116224676.png

Last edited:
Back