Need a clownfish expert to identify!

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a clownfish from my local petco ( don’t judge too harsh, they are cheaper than most LFS around me). They had a shipment of “assorted clownfish” come in and this one was one that I purchased. My question is is a snowflake or snow onyx? The picture doesn’t do justice on how much blue is lined behind the white areas but it appears both species have the blue lining so I can’t really tell which it is.

C57674A7-A89B-4AD7-AAB0-ADD47F69458F.jpeg

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not judging, my local Petco has cleaner tanks and healther fish than my LFS.
tanks are definitely cleaner at petco, but my LFS usually does have an insane variety, he’s just pricey because he’s the only marine store around

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about knowing if it's a snowflake or snow onyx. They're really hard to tell apart, especially when the black hasn't grown in yet. The blue color is just the overlap of black and white scales, and are present in both variants.

The only way to know with some certainty is to look at your Petco's order sheet (my guess is that the fish came from ORA). Just know that you have a snowflake or snowflake variant.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 47 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back