Need a little help with a few acros of mine.

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this? It looks like something is eating them but don't see any bugs on them. Can it be SNT? I am having a huge issue with nitrate (50ppm).

24.jpg

234.jpg

4213.jpg

222222.jpg

asdfa.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive that nothing is eating them? Some of it does look like STN (tissue receding along the edge of the coral) but the other spots look like something is chomping on those spots.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the chomping, but how often do you have that much filament extension, usually when I see that much there is something stressing the corals more so than a feeding reaction.

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like AEFW. Nasty little buggers. 50ppm nitrates is also very, very high for a tank that wants to keep acros.

AEFW? I don't see bugs. Yes I have been fighting nitrates for some time now. I was dosing carbon but I stopped as I was having some bacteria colonies bloom. I just added bio pellets to help with my issue.

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive that nothing is eating them? Some of it does look like STN (tissue receding along the edge of the coral) but the other spots look like something is chomping on those spots.

At least not that I know of. One time I did see those pest white starfish eating one but I got it out in time. This is like little strings like.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easy to tell.. grab a turkey baster and baste the heck out of them.. If you see little flesh colored jelly blobs fall off then most likely its fw. If your not seeing stuff come off at all.. then check your parameters. even the smallest swings in parameters can make certain acros look like a piece of garbage real fast. Also try to figure out why and when they started to go downhill and backtrack.

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easy to tell.. grab a turkey baster and baste the heck out of them.. If you see little flesh colored jelly blobs fall off then most likely its fw. If your not seeing stuff come off at all.. then check your parameters. even the smallest swings in parameters can make certain acros look like a piece of garbage real fast. Also try to figure out why and when they started to go downhill and backtrack.

I try that yesterday and didn't see anything fall off. I try to suck what every it was from a branch. I am thinking here are my Nitrates. Come to think of it. I have been using filter socks over and over for some time now and this can be keeping my nitrates up.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back