Need advice for keeping green macros

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started my first macro tank in January. I did a lot of research because I wanted to make sure I got everything done properly. I currently have a handful of different reds and one brown macro. I'm happy to report I have had a lot of success so far, especially with my string of pearls and blue scroll algae. I chose to start with reds because they are less prone to going sexual. I'm VERY hesitant to start getting greens since they grow so fast and are more prone releasing their spores. All of my parameters look great other than I small nitrate spike that I'm fixing now. I think I got a bad batch of IO salt because it happened right after a water change and nothing else had changed that could've caused it. So I just wanted some advice on keeping greens and the best/slowest growing greens to start with. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Caulerpa Prolifera is by far one of the nicest greens you can add for a macro tank! I am a huge fan of macroalgae dominated tanks and have one myself! They are not just for sumps peeps!

Can check out my build thread here of mine!

Post a picture of the tank would love to see it! Also chime in on this thread as well!

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Caulerpa Prolifera is by far one of the nicest greens you can add for a macro tank! I am a huge fan of macroalgae dominated tanks and have one myself! They are not just for sumps peeps!

Can check out my build thread here of mine!

Post a picture of the tank would love to see it! Also chime in on this thread as well!
Awesome tank! I'm really looking forward to getting some greens. I think I'm going to wait until I rehome my damsels so I can really stock it the tank and have a good source of natural "fertilizer" lol.

The tank is still pretty young but feel free to check out my build thread!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice green macro algae that will never give you trouble is codium. Its attractive and does not go sexual or wild. In fact it is a bit of a slow grower but it is a nice addition to any macro tank.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice green macro algae that will never give you trouble is codium. Its attractive and does not go sexual or wild. In fact it is a bit of a slow grower but it is a nice addition to any macro tank.
Thanks for the info! Codium is definitely first on my list for green macros.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how would you recommend someone successfully grow red macros? (and +1 to the codium)
Most red macro do not have as high light needs as the green macros. I usually put my reds lower in the tank and even in under rock or coral, although I run HOT5 s so there is reflective light off the sandbed too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back