vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I’ve just cycled a Red Sea nano & have the opportunity to purchase some tank shut down rock & corals to start it off. Amongst those is. A Beautiful West Australian Ningaloo reef giant clam. I’m worried about adding such an investment straight away with no dosing set up yet & ph levels on seneye fluctuating between 8-9 constantly. There’s a slight 0.019 ammonia trace left still but read clams absorb ammonia. Not to mention the new established rock from the new aquarium.
Any advice on how to do this?

Attachments

• 5C95CA2E-0766-4C78-8677-5C597E23A1C1.mp4
    4.5 MB
  • 0590F169-D4E6-4CBF-9E42-15C0AB462A77.mp4
    14.4 MB

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say unless you are rather experienced in both reefing and keeping a clam, that you should definitely pass on the opportunity.

There are way too many variables involved in keeping a clam even in the best of conditions.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree, it's all new and exciting to begin with, each to Thier own choice of Aquariums.
research will be my first choice, if you want a 'clam' research and and see if you can maintain.
adjust/ set up your aquarium to support and take it from there.
If your main goal is to have a beautiful clam, do everything to achieve that :)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vienna
I can elaborate if I was too vague.

Keeping clams in a reef tank is not like keeping coral. Plenty of coral farmers struggle to keep clams and in fact, I know very few reefers who have sustained success with clams.

You have a tiny aquarium. Water parameters are going to fluctuate due to the small volume and small things causing big changes. This, by itself will make keeping a clam hard even for the most experienced keepers.

Your tank is very new and far from the maturity that will help with stability. You have a years worth of good and bad things that will come and go and you will have other struggles (we all do) during that first year. This is not the time to be trying to keep a clam alive.

Clams are very picky about lighting. You have very few placement options due to tank size.

Clams are very picky about flow. Here again you have very few placement options.

Clams are just hard to keep. period.

I would say that adding that animal to your tank will mean certain short term death.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vienna
I can elaborate if I was too vague.

Keeping clams in a reef tank is not like keeping coral. Plenty of coral farmers struggle to keep clams and in fact, I know very few reefers who have sustained success with clams.

You have a tiny aquarium. Water parameters are going to fluctuate due to the small volume and small things causing big changes. This, by itself will make keeping a clam hard even for the most experienced keepers.

Your tank is very new and far from the maturity that will help with stability. You have a years worth of good and bad things that will come and go and you will have other struggles (we all do) during that first year. This is not the time to be trying to keep a clam alive.

Clams are very picky about lighting. You have very few placement options due to tank size.

Clams are very picky about flow. Here again you have very few placement options.

Clams are just hard to keep. period.

I would say that adding that animal to your tank will mean certain short term death.
I also have an established 240 L tank I’m thinking to introduce him too. I could maybe move him in the future. I could place him in the centre & continue establishing the new nano. I’ll be taking rocks while there 4 the nano. I’ll go from there. Thank you all for the advice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 21

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back