tdjma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm planning to build this stand for my 40g breeder
image.jpg

I already have the measurements according to the directions and plan to get the 2x4's cut at the lumber store. I'm very handy but I've never built furniture before. I know the cuts need to be accurate and the stand needs to be level. I also know that screws should not be placed where they'll be load-bearing. I have a good drill/bits and know how stain wood. What are some other tips that could make my life easier? In what order should I assemble it? Any help would be appreciated!!!
I agree a kreg pocket hole jig is a huge helper . also look at how cabinets are built online with 3/4" 12ply it will hold the weight and more internal room even if you just ply the sides and a strip at bottom or top for lateral stability.

fuzzbunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use metal braces in each corner if you are concerned about your abilities to build a strong stand. Especially all inside corners probably need around 20 braces 3"by 3" minimum. it will keep the stand from shifting or leaning and letting the tank slip off,
Also place sheet of 1/2" plywood on top of stand to support entire base of tank. Then place a piece of styrofoam on top that board to cushion tank bottom. It will support base as it settles under weight of water, rocks, equipment, etc.
Good luck! just be sure to check and double check all measurements. Also pressure treated wood does not take to staining very well.
Water proof wood with a coat of polyurethane to make stand water proof after staining.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great example of an uneducated build. Using 4x4 posts to hold up a mine shaft, and then not using them for vertical support at all by screwing in the laterals on the side of the corner posts. Why not just square up a sequoia and have it solid wood?

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great example of an uneducated build. Using 4x4 posts to hold up a mine shaft, and then not using them for vertical support at all by screwing in the laterals on the side of the corner posts. Why not just square up a sequoia and have it solid wood?
I am also concerned with the original design that is depicted in the first post of this thread. The load bearing vertical supports should extend from the floor to the tank. As it is currently shown, the screws (or nails) actually take the load. No bueno.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need the snarkiness please. Everyone's trying to help.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy man. Just built me one today..
Will be adding cabinets tomorrow..
20151201_161649.jpg

20151201_170138.jpg

9746.jpeg

This stand is not one I would duplicate or recommend building. does the tank sit on those 4x4s and have so support under the entire tank? I would highly suggest reconsidering your build approach, and redesigning this stand. you want to have the tank supported across the entire bottom, not just on the corners.

TryingToLearn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stand is not one I would duplicate or recommend building. does the tank sit on those 4x4s and have so support under the entire tank? I would highly suggest reconsidering your build approach, and redesigning this stand. you want to have the tank supported across the entire bottom, not just on the corners.
It's on a 10 gallon tank. On my 40 breeder I have the same design but two more legs one on front and one on the back side in the middle. My 220 is on on the same design just 6 more legs so a total of 10 legs 4 on front and back spread out evenly and 3 on both sides. My 220 has 250 Lbs of just rock and 200 lbs of sand and has been on the stand for a little over 5 years and no problems but I do understand where you are coming from.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my original stand isn't strong enough? I know tons of people who have built this without a problem. I can add middle braces as long as the sump doesn't have to come out. Would this stand work with 4x4's. I've read that 2x4's are strong for a 40g.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can my sump sit on the floor or is a base important.?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And can I add additional support in the back and less in the front or is that a problem.

TryingToLearn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my original stand isn't strong enough? I know tons of people who have built this without a problem. I can add middle braces as long as the sump doesn't have to come out. Would this stand work with 4x4's. I've read that 2x4's are strong for a 40g.
That is the reason I left a middle brace out on that 10 gallon build. So I could fit stuff under it. Everyone will have there own opinion but I have a buddy that has had his 125 on his stand he built with 2x4 for over a year now. I told him we should get some different wood but that's what he had he had faith in it.. so far so good

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single vertical 2x4 can support 700 lbs, but it's important to understand how the load is distributed and transferred from the tank, through the frame and into the floor. It's not a simple question of whether to use 2x4s or 4x4s. Most single family houses are built using 2x4s. It's *how* you configure them into the complete structure. I will reiterate that this is an excellent, well thought-out approach.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single vertical 2x4 can support 700 lbs, but it's important to understand how the load is distributed and transferred from the tank, through the frame and into the floor. It's not a simple question of whether to use 2x4s or 4x4s. Most single family houses are built using 2x4s. It's *how* you configure them into the complete structure. I will reiterate that this is an excellent, well thought-out approach.

Looks to me that Joey followed the same plans as in the original post. Many people including myself have used the plan laid out in the OP.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every little thing can tweak the level of the stand. They weight of the tank. Water. Rocks. Substrate. Check and check and check again.
If u build the stand square you shouldn't have a problem. $1 at Walmart - deck of cards as shims will make it work if not.
Just make final level check after u add rock n substrate.
Where on the stand would I use the cards? On the floor?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy the kreg pocket hole jig. The set cost me like 80 bucks and helped me alot.
52e25fdd647bb0116be1fa50310f0d10.jpg
237fe1c18d63e723f43d6b03f20d9aac.jpg
this was my first attempt at making a stand and it came out much better than I thought it would. It helps tremendously.
Nice! So the front doesn't have a support in the middle and it's ok?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You built that stand to hold a car! Not that there is anything wrong with that. It amazes me what the tank manufactures build as their stands... structurally their design is sound, but I'm much to rough on my tanks to make me feel comfortable with buying a tank stand in store. Esp. with kids climbing on it. The most important stand designed is to make sure its level! It could be overbuilt but if its out of level enough the tank will fail. I've had to tanks fail in my early years in this hobby not knowing any better.
What if the floor isn't level?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back