Need Euphillia Help

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I got a torch back in november and it seems like the last few months the health has declined. What is wrong?

Mag: 1400
Cal: 420
Alk: 9
PH: 8.1

Here are photos from the beginning of January
IMG_5385.jpg
IMG_5386.jpg

Then beginning of march

IMG_5516.jpg

And now

IMG_5663.jpg
IMG_5665.jpg
IMG_5660.jpg

Also here is a picture of the day I dot the new torch. Still a lot of swelling in the tentacles compared to when I got it.

IMG_5583.jpg

I noticed some swelling but now the tips are turning white and bubbling up. Could the other torch be stinging it? I also got a new light but everything else seems to be making the adjustment fine. Not sure what the issue is.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your nitrates and phosphate and age of the tank? Yes torches are aggressive and will sting other corals.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your nitrates and phosphate and age of the tank?

Phos: 0.05
Nitrate: 8

tanks been up a little over 6 months

Also it has been in the process of splitting for the last 2 months. I don't know if that makes a difference. It is also losing tips daily but the flesh band still looks fine and never skulls up.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos: 0.05
Nitrate: 8

tanks been up a little over 6 months

Also it has been in the process of splitting for the last 2 months. I don't know if that makes a difference. It is also losing tips daily but the flesh band still looks fine and never skulls up.
Well numbers aren't bad but for some reason euphyllia are difficult to sustain in new tanks under a year. Sure splitting could cause retraction. I keep my water dirtier for my LPS. My nitrates are 15 to 20 and phosphate. 2 to .4. My tank is 3 years old now.

You mentioned light changes. Did you par check your tank?

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well numbers aren't bad but for some reason euphyllia are difficult to sustain in new tanks under a year. Sure splitting could cause retraction. I keep my water dirtier for my LPS. My nitrates are 15 to 20 and phosphate. 2 to .4. My tank is 3 years old now.

I did not par check I talked to a reefer for light settings which I know every tank is different but never checked par before this light so I needed a reference and used very close to those settings and did a 20 day light acclimation.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not par check I talked to a reefer for light settings which I know every tank is different but never checked par before this light so I needed a reference and used very close to those settings and did a 20 day light acclimation.
I probably wouldn't do anything and see how it responds in the coming weeks. It may just be acclimation to your new lights. One of my golds was finicky like that and now it's 14 heads and the size of a football.

Yes torches can fight with other torches but it is uncommon. I have ausi, indo and Malaysia torches and for some reason the gold torch did not like the rasta torch and wanted the space. The rasta lost the battle. However, I'd be more concerned if your torches can reach other nearby corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't do anything and see how it responds in the coming weeks. It may just be acclimation to your new lights. One of my golds was finicky like that and now it's 14 heads and the size of a football.

Yes torches can fight with other torches but it is uncommon. I have ausi, indo and Malaysia torches and for some reason the gold torch did not like the rasta torch and wanted the space. The rasta lost the battle. However, I'd be more concerned if your torches can reach other nearby corals.
How did you know the torch coral needed more space? What symptoms were there between the torches?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you know the torch coral needed more space? What symptoms were there between the torches?
The tentacles were not extending normal. I thought the retraction was due to skeletal growth. The gold and HG torch next to the rasta were larger and just seem to extend over it and that is probably why it was retracting. Like a coral head that gets shaded out of existence. I try to be hands off and let the corals work out their problems just like in nature. The rasta just slowly declined over a month and I would not doubt it got stung to because I saw sweepers sticking to its tentacles periodically. You can see some of my torches in the pic.

20240411_105428.jpg

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have about the same parameters and my torches love it.
Stinging is not the problem. Torches will not sting eachother.
Some do. Indo vs Ausi is the issue ive heard.

How is the flow? Post a video and how is the lighting par?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stinging is not the problem. Torches will not sting eachother.
.....until they do.

I had 3 in close proximity to each other for months with no issues. Then all of a sudden I noticed 2 had retracted tentacles with swollen tips only on the side closest to the torch in the middle. I decided to simply observe for a bit as my parameters were all in check. Fast forward a week or so and one of the 2 is stone cold dead, and the second is looking pretty bad. I moved the survivor out of reach and it is doing much better, but still recovering.

There's no other reasonable explanation other than warfare.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....until they do.

I had 3 in close proximity to each other for months with no issues. Then all of a sudden I noticed 2 had retracted tentacles with swollen tips only on the side closest to the torch in the middle. I decided to simply observe for a bit as my parameters were all in check. Fast forward a week or so and one of the 2 is stone cold dead, and the second is looking pretty bad. I moved the survivor out of reach and it is doing much better, but still recovering.

Uhh... do you know anything about flow? You can not say warfare is the only reasonable explanation when you know nothing about the flow that the torch is receiving... what if OP has no flow??

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh... do you know anything about flow? You can not say warfare is the only reasonable explanation when you know nothing about the flow that the torch is receiving... what if OP has no flow??
I wasn't referring to the op's post, I was referring to your comment about torches not stinging each other, and my experience that says otherwise. In my situation, warfare was the only reasonable explanation.

And FWIW, the op's pics clearly show tentacles pointing in different directions in different pics. That would indicate at least some flow in my opinion.

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really help your situation but I've experienced similar. I have a purple torch that shrunk and got grumpy the moment I added a dragon soul torch to the tank. There wasn't even a chance for any physical stinging to occur and still isn't due to flow direction. The purple torch is still alive a few months later but is definitely not extending like it once was.

I've got my suspicions about euphyllia chemical warfare, but tbh I have no idea.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....until they do.

Pretty similar to my experience as well. It's not common but it certainly can happen.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes you wonder how some tanks can have so many torches without any problems...
Agreed!

To others that have brought up my flow. I haven't changed it since I got the torch. Have moved the power head a little (maybe 3 inches in each direction) for more indirect flow but the settings have remained the same.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back