Need feedback on my current first tank plan

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’ve posted a couple of times on this forum about needing help planning my first tank. I’ve received a ton of advice and I have attempted to synthesize the information into a budget friendly first reef tank plan. I’ve decided that a sump is out of my budget or if done diy out of my level of expertise. So I attempted to create an effective HOB setup.
The tank will be a 40 breeder that I’m hoping to grow some softies and lps in. I’m still wondering if a power filter or HOB refugium makes more sense or if I should do both.

Equipment:
40b
King of DIY stand
Sea chem tidal 110 power filter (need advice on media to use)
Reef Breeder Value LED
AquaMaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer
Hydor koralia 800gph x2
JBJ ato
Cobalt neotherm heater

I will also be getting some 20L tanks from the dollar a gallon sale to use as respective RODI and saltwater reservoirs. I will also setup about a 10 gallon qt tank.

Could I get some advice on if this setup seems feasible, and what the maintenance schedule would look like.

Thanks from a semi-clueless newbie!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I use a smaller, now discontinued version (the 280) of Marineland Emperor 400 on my QT tanks. Lots of filtration. And the bio wheels work great. I've also used the 400 on my 90 when it was freshwater. Really worked well. Great value for the work it does and it has easy maintenance. On my QT I cut my own polyfilter pads instead of the marineland pre-made pads. https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Emperor-Bio-wheel-Power-Filter/dp/B000HHOI8G

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I’ll look into that filter, more options are always good to know about :). Have you heard anything good or bad about the new Sea chem filter? I like the brand and from what I read it seems to be the ideal hob filter. But I could be wrong.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I’ll look into that filter, more options are always good to know about :). Have you heard anything good or bad about the new Sea chem filter? I like the brand and from what I read it seems to be the ideal hob filter. But I could be wrong.
Sorry, not familiar with the Sea Chem filter. I have and also use Aqua Clear HOB on some of my smaller QT type tanks. They work real well also. Very easy maintenance. Plenty of power.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back