Need flow advice for 66" peninsula

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a system for a 6' tank with internal coast-to-coast overflow, but not sure where to place powerheads. There is a fish room on one side, but since I want to keep that glass clean and be able to see the tank from inside the fish room, I'm thinking of this as a peninsula tank.

The two returns will come up over the top of the overflow.

Can I put a wavemaker on the overflow wall too? I guess the external-side magnets would need to be submersible. I'd love to get a lot of flow in this tank to reach the far wall and not leave dead spots. I could put powerheads on the back, but that would not be ideal and would be hard to get flow going left to right. I was going to put an MP60 on the right side, but the giant dryside protruding there would be ugly.

Crude diagram of the tank is below.
IMG_E2253[1].JPG

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you now. Does the weir need to go right the way across there?

It's there already. That was my decision before i thought through where to deliver flow. Also, it's glass and built in a way that makes bulkheads pretty much impossible, so I have returns (not yet plumbed) coming over the top of the weir through 3/4" locline. Now that it's dry-plumbed I am filled with regret. I don't like the look.
IMG_2256[1].JPG

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I see what you mean. Can you change it? Are the holes for the plumbing spaced out such that you can't do anything with it? You've probably guessed what I'm thinking by now

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread. I can't drill the glass partition in the dark side of the peninsula and I can't put a "dry side" on there because it's not dry (it's the overflow).

Is there a high performance wavemaker that's like an MP-60 that can be mounted at 90-degrees? That is, I want to mount it on the back glass, far right side, but point it to blow the long way back toward the overflow.

Is there a controllable Tunze that will do this with as much gyre flow as a vortech or a maxspect gyre? I like everything about gyre pumps except the maintenance. I do not want that frequent, complicated disassembly headache. I want something low maintenance, silent, powerful, and rotatable to 90 degrees. Probably too much to ask for.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe both sides of tunze magnets are waterproof. Tunze are the best. They may not have the same built in features as far as modes but I believe the controllable types are apex ready. Full rotation but there will be cords in the display but you’re black on black

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe both sides of tunze magnets are waterproof. Tunze are the best. They may not have the same built in features as far as modes but I believe the controllable types are apex ready. Full rotation but there will be cords in the display but you’re black on black
Thanks. This is super helpful!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back