Need Help: Accidentally raised salinity to 1.030 during water change

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe I made this rookie mistake but I just did a ~50% water change on my 20g and despite testing the salinity a number of times before filling it back up, I just tested the tank and am measuring 1.030 when I almost always keep it at a stable 1.025-1.027.

What is the best way to safely bring the salinity back to where it should be?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small, frequent water changes (say once each day) with a somewhat lower salinity.

With a 20 gal tank it shouldn’t take you too long to get it back down to where you want it.

Upvote 0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest draining out a gallon of tank water at a time than re-test. repeat the process twice a day, until you are back to where you would like to be.

Fyi, this is not too bad :)

Upvote 0

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different thoughts but I would probably remove a couple of gallons of the aquarium water and replace it with RODI water. I would then check the new salinity and keep going from there. Another thought would be to remove 50% and have that measure 1.020. Looks like you would then have 1.025

Upvote 0

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe I made this rookie mistake but I just did a ~50% water change on my 20g and despite testing the salinity a number of times before filling it back up, I just tested the tank and am measuring 1.030 when I almost always keep it at a stable 1.025-1.027.

If you really just did this 12 minutes ago, then start bailing out water a gallon at a time and replacing it with RO water until you are back down to where you want.

Upvote 0

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, keep in mind going down in salinity is much easier on livestock than going up. So the sudden change from 1.027 to 1.030 would have been harder for fish to adjust to than just bringing it back down as fast as possible to 1.027.

I've done hyposalinity treatments for fish and when I did I brought water from 1.026 to 1.015 in a single day and the fish were fine. Then down to 1.010 the next day. Bring them back up is a pain, took close to 3 weeks to raise salinity by .002 per day. from 1.010 to 1.026.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the quick responses!! I did as you said and slowly replaces salt water with RODI over the course of ~30mins bringing the salinity back to 1.027

The Zoas clamped shut but are starting to reopen.
zoa.jpg

The GSP looks ticked but I am hoping it will bounce back
GSP.jpg

Some of the Coraline near the powerhead got bleached but I'm not too worried
Coraline bleaching.jpg

My biggest concern is the mini-maxi and rockflower anemones which seem very angry. The mini-maxi (green) appears to have vomited its stomach if that makes any sense. Anything I can do to try to help them recover?
Rock Flowers.jpg

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

First - I would make absolutely sure that it's really 1.030 (since you said you checked it multiple times before filling it up - it's hard to understand how it could have gone up.

Second - whatever damage thats going to be done - is probably done. I would take let's say a 2 quart pitcher of tank water, toss it out, and replace with RODI (no salt) until the SG is back into the correct range over 3-4 days

Third - there may be different recommendations depending on which livestock are in your tank - and is anything negatively affected.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you made a rookie mistake yet you said you measured salinity several times before filling back up. If you measured several times how did it get the DT to 1.030? I'm just curious what the mistake really was that caused this :thinking-face:
Long story short I was rushing and I didn't do a great job stirring/dissolving the last cup of salt. I think once I turned on the pump to start filling the excess dissolved and pushed the Salinity above where I wanted it to be.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back