~!~!~ Need help analyzing my Triton Results ~!~!~

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I just got my results back from my first ever triton test. I have a 200g system and am using Aquaforest Reef Salt. I dose Phytofeast to keep my PO4 detectable, Probidio Biodigiest twice monthly and thats it. I don't run carbon or GFO due to low nutrients already. I dose to keep them elevated. I have about 2L of Siporax in my huge with a trickle of water passing through it.

What really concerns me is the Copper and Lead showing in my results. My house has copper pipes which I have tapped in to because I don't have a choice. I feel that most houses actually have copper pipes somewhere in them. Could that really cause my copper problem?

The Lead really concerns me. I don't know if my RO/DI removes any of that or not but I carefully monitor the TDS and never let it get above 0. If I am reading that much Lead after my RO/DI filters the water then what must it be before it passes through that?

I know its been determined that marine pure blocks leach Al. Could the Siporax be responsible for some of the heavy metals in my water you think?

Below are my test results for you to view:

OP
OP
C

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking to fix the immediate issue I might either get a polyfilter or run the Triton detox and then carbon to remove the copper and hopefully the lead.

Any thoughts? Anyone else get these 2 elements showing up in their results?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking to fix the immediate issue I might either get a polyfilter or run the Triton detox and then carbon to remove the copper and hopefully the lead.

Any thoughts? Anyone else get these 2 elements showing up in their results?

Having a Triton test for your source RODI water would be interesting. There is another ICP testing company that specifically offers an RODI test for $29. It's not ICP Analysis, the name begins with Marin (??) I think.

Polyfilter seems safe.

Someone more knowledge will hopefully chime in on whether those levels are dangerous or put them in perspective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if a polyfilter would remove the lead. They didn't mention anything about it

OP
OP
C

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of other than the expense of needing to do it. It wouldn't be a cheap solution by any means especially for a decent sized tank.

OP
OP
C

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I spoke to triton and asked if detox removes lead too since it mainly talks about copper as the main metal is removed. They confirmed that it does so I think I'll go that route.

However it pretty concerned about how/why I have that in my water to begin with. The lead really scares me for the tank and also my tap water if it's present in there.

OP
OP
C

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 TDS meters on the RO/DI system. I also have 2 DI stages. My TDS get down to 4 just from the RO section. Once my first DI stage gets exhausted it starts letting water pass through at 1 TDS. The second DI stage is there to bring it down to 0 again and extend my time between changes.

No metal parts what so ever in the storage bins. I don't keep my mag float or frag racks in this tank 24/7 and the magnets on them both appear to be sealed still. I'm ordering another test kit to test my RO water. That way I can see if maybe these elements are part of a contaminated salt mix or something. I can't think of where else it might be coming from.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 TDS meters on the RO/DI system. I also have 2 DI stages. My TDS get down to 4 just from the RO section. Once my first DI stage gets exhausted it starts letting water pass through at 1 TDS. The second DI stage is there to bring it down to 0 again and extend my time between changes.

No metal parts what so ever in the storage bins. I don't keep my mag float or frag racks in this tank 24/7 and the magnets on them both appear to be sealed still. I'm ordering another test kit to test my RO water. That way I can see if maybe these elements are part of a contaminated salt mix or something. I can't think of where else it might be coming from.

Id suspect the salt your using. Or possibly food. What food do yoh feed?

OP
OP
C

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something. I wash my filter socks out in the hose outside and change my socks every few days. Probably twice a week. When I wash the previous ones they just air dry until it's time to change them out again. Is it possible my heavy metals are coming from that? Could they hang around in the socks even after the water evaporates off and make it into the tank with each sock change?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I ran a poly filter for a few weeks, ran 2, never turned any color other that brown. I assume that means I have no heavy metals in the tank.

Im now guessing I just don't have my parameters back where the corals like or l don't have my lights programmed where they like. I assume the corals that where stressed before just haven't recovered and may not. Just crazy because even new corals I put in now die. In all my years in this hobby have never had an issue like this. I have pulled them as well to check for pest and find nothing, its also sps and lps so not just one. I assumed for awhile it was my flame angel since I caught him nipping but I wouldn't think he is the one eating my large (50+ heads) frogspawn and causing them to drop heads? Just don't know

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I ran a poly filter for a few weeks, ran 2, never turned any color other that brown. I assume that means I have no heavy metals in the tank.

It's all a matter of concentration. You need many heavy metals (e.g., iron, copper), but not too much, especially of some (copper, tin, etc.). :)

OP
OP
C

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One indication that I think I noticed was my snail behavior. I have a eurobraced tank and all of the snails were hanging out just above the water level on the underside of the eurobrace. I would almost never see any of them in the actual tank. Day or night. Out of the 50 I have maybe 5 at any given time would actually be down in the tank. I was also loosing about 1 snail per week or so. I believe it was a sign of my high copper and other metal concentration in my water at the time. I used some of the triton detox to remove the metals as directed and almost overnight they are all back in the water. They are mostly nocturnal so they are still up near the top of the glass during the day trying to hide from the light but they are actually all submerged now and I see them all around the tank at night eating.

I'm going to use them as a warning sign that my levels have crept up to much in the future and get my water tested again to see if another round of detox is needed or not. At least until I can figure out where those elements are coming from.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im now guessing I just don't have my parameters back where the corals like or l don't have my lights programmed where they like. I assume the corals that where stressed before just haven't recovered and may not. Just crazy because even new corals I put in now die. In all my years in this hobby have never had an issue like this. I have pulled them as well to check for pest and find nothing, its also sps and lps so not just one. I assumed for awhile it was my flame angel since I caught him nipping but I wouldn't think he is the one eating my large (50+ heads) frogspawn and causing them to drop heads? Just don't know

fwiw i've had copper + al at those levels or higher & never had problems.( marinepure here also)
for the copper seachem cuprisorb removes it.
You don't think maybe your po4 is a bit on the edge that low? I'd guess is its either the lead or the P04

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah sorry didn't notice it was a different member - avatars pretty similar

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something. I wash my filter socks out in the hose outside and change my socks every few days. Probably twice a week. When I wash the previous ones they just air dry until it's time to change them out again. Is it possible my heavy metals are coming from that? Could they hang around in the socks even after the water evaporates off and make it into the tank with each sock change?

I do the same thing... I wonder...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back