Need help! Anemone.

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink hatian was doing fine untill earlier today. Went from 2 inches tall to hiding in a pinhole in the reef and being completely deflated like that besides his foot. Is this normal? I'm new to having an anemone.
Snapchat-78013306.jpg

Snapchat-78013306.jpg

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is EXTREMELY little info to work off of. We need tank age, ALL water parameters tested with a reliable test kit (preferably not api, but that’s better than nothing if it’s all you have), the condition of other tank inhabitants, and any recent changes to the tank.

OP
OP
F

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is EXTREMELY little info to work off of. We need tank age, ALL water parameters tested with a reliable test kit (preferably not api, but that’s better than nothing if it’s all you have), the condition of other tank inhabitants, and any recent changes to the ta

Sorry I'm new to all of this I'll gather what I can and under. The tank age is a little over a month old and the clown and dottyback I have seem to be fine. The anemone was purchased while I was at work and put into the tank, I was trying to wait till at least a year. I'll gather water specs when I get home.

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm new to all of this I'll gather what I can and under. The tank age is a little over a month old and the clown and dottyback I have seem to be fine. The anemone was purchased while I was at work and put into the tank, I was trying to wait till at least a year. I'll gather water specs when I get home.
Do you have any other corals/nems? (Nem is slang for anemone)

OP
OP
F

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the reply to my second question just appeared.
Yeah it said it needed to be approved by a moderator so I wasn't sure. The tank age is over a month. The anemone Was bought over a week ago while I was at work. Now I'm scrambling to figure it out haha.

OP
OP
F

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a bristle worm somewhere that snuck in on a liverock
I'm mainly worried because he went from tall and wide to small and deflated into a tiny little hole and tbh I can't necessarily find anything on Google about it. I do know I don't want it to die

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 10,000 reasons your first coral could be unhappy. Especially when you have a nem in a new tank. I need those parameters to really figure things out, but I will also ask, what lights do you have on the tank, and how much flow did the anemone appear to be getting?

OP
OP
F

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 10,000 reasons your first coral could be unhappy. Especially when you have a nem in a new tank. I need those parameters to really figure things out, but I will also ask, what lights do you have on the tank, and how much flow did the anemone appear to be getting?
I got these full spectrum lights because I was told that's what I'd need by a local pet store. The water flow he was getting at first appeared to strong and he moved from there to the underside of a rock. After that he appeared in a few other locations and grabbed some of the eggs I fed the other fish last night. This morning tho he was on top of the rock and really big. Over the next couple hours everytime I walked past the tank he was smaller and smaller untill he was almost completely inside the hole.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My pink hatian was doing fine untill earlier today. Went from 2 inches tall to hiding in a pinhole in the reef and being completely deflated like that besides his foot. Is this normal? I'm new to having an anemone.
Snapchat-78013306.jpg

Snapchat-78013306.jpg
If this is a newer tank- not an ideal addition as you want the tank running 4-6 months to allow it to stabilize as most anemones do not adapt well to chemistry changes and even water changes
With it hiding the way it is in your pic, it may be due to too much light, water flow or both. Pink tip condylactus do best in moderate light and flow as they require basic lighting and assure nitrate and Phos are Not elevated

OP
OP
F

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these full spectrum lights because I was told that's what I'd need by a local pet store. The water flow he was getting at first appeared to strong and he moved from there to the underside of a rock. After that he appeared in a few other locations and grabbed some of the eggs I fed the other fish last night. This morning tho he was on top of the rock and really big. Over the next couple hours everytime I walked past the tank he was smaller and smaller untill he was almost completely inside the hole.
I fed the fish again today before leaving to the store. (That was when I made this thread) he's now outside the rock more as I'm getting home.

OP
OP
F

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a newer tank- not an ideal addition as you want the tank running 4-6 months to allow it to stabilize as most anemones do not adapt well to chemistry changes and even water changes
With it hiding the way it is in your pic, it may be due to too much light, water flow or both. Pink tip condylactus do best in moderate light and flow as they require basic lighting and assure nitrate and Phos are Not elevated
Yeah I actually wasn't planning this addition for at least another 6 months. Someone was just trying to be nice and surprise me. Trust me I'm surprised alright...

OP
OP
F

figgy1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what you need? And this is what he looks like getting back home.

Attachments

• received_276746061654280.jpeg
    received_276746061654280.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 16906852626066628159614136134971.jpg
    16906852626066628159614136134971.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 23

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back