Need help ASAP

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought new radion gen 5 and installed them in my tank today. I originally had two gen 3 on my tank. I took one of the gen 3 and placed it above my refugium to use it as a refug light. The cord was not long enough to reach my EB so I used a extension cord that can be used outside. At the same time I started rearranging equipment to try and make it more tidy. I noticed the wires was loose on my jerod 110w dc pump controller. I could pull the wires out of the controller but I quickly put the wires back in, not wanting to mess with it. just before I had to go to work (it always happens like that) I put my hand in the sump and got shocked. What should I do? I disconnected the radion light from the EB but still got shocked. I turned off the return pump (the jerod) but still got shocked. I did not try disconnecting the return pump from it electric source bc I had to go to work. Can anyone help? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take it to an electrician or qualified person and have them solder or reconnect the connections and shield the area with aquarium sealant or silicone.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i'd replace the pump. But if you turned off power to it and still got shocked I would look for electrical drain elsewhere as well just to be safe.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn everything off.... unplug it all- one at a time plug things back in to find the culprit. Buy yourself a voltage meter (better than shocking yourself each time... also buy a grounding plug for the tank (put in sump). Once you find the culprit, don’t stop testing -test after adding each piece back in case there are two culprits

note: make sure the equipment is on when you test... ie a heater would need to be drawing power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn everything off.... unplug it all- one at a time plug things back in to find the culprit. Buy yourself a voltage meter (better than shocking yourself each time... also buy a grounding plug for the tank (put in sump). Once you find the culprit, don’t stop testing -test after adding each piece back in case there are two culprits

note: make sure the equipment is on when you test... ie a heater would need to be drawing power.
Thanks

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob- holler if anything needs clarification.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, just saw you're post n wanted to see if you figured out you're prob. We went thru that recently and had to figure it out the hard way, shocking you're self, n now I use a ground probe to get rid of stray voltage . I figure the shock doesn't feel good to me so how are my fish feeling? Anyway hope you figure it out.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, just saw you're post n wanted to see if you figured out you're prob. We went thru that recently and had to figure it out the hard way, shocking you're self, n now I use a ground probe to get rid of stray voltage . I figure the shock doesn't feel good to me so how are my fish feeling? Anyway hope you figure it out.
:) luckily the fish aren’t grounded which is why you should keep the grounding probe out of the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trust me and im sure Crabs agrees- Place grounding probe IN the tank and plugged into a grounded outlet for your safety

1610824359694.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Isn't the common comment that the grounding probe is designed to protect 'the human' - but it can increase current through the water?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I should have been more clear... out of dt, in sump. If there is stray voltage and a fish touches a grounding probe... it’ll be like a Tom & Jerry episode :) (If this is incorrect then I’ll gladly “zap” my post)

Last edited:

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the salt creep off every cord and plug as well as the rims of the tanks after unplugging everything and tracking down the stray voltage. A lot of times the creep is the culprit.

and ditch that pump.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I should have been more clear... out of dt, in sump. If there is stray voltage and a fish touches a grounding probe... it’ll be like a Tom & Jerry episode :) (If this is incorrect then I’ll gladly “zap” my post)
Ok - my bad- learned something today... it won’t zap your fish if they touch a grounding probe... but it will zap you (if your not already grounded)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back