Need Help - Corals Look Pale

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

A couple things have happened over the last couple days that could have led up to my corals looking pale. My corals looked good yesterday and now this.

My parameters are

Alk - 9.1
Calcium - 482
Magnesium - 1280
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0.20
Salinity - 1.026

I was dosing 2-part for the last week but stopped because I need to wait for my tank to stabilize. Letting my tank drop down to around 8.3. Currently dropping .10 dkh everyday.

Phosphates were in the upper 30's-40's last week. I started using Phosguard on my tank Wednesday night and now they are down to .20.

A couple things that might be a cause that happened last night.

1- could be the phosguard?
2- I made a DIY Aiptasia zapper wand to clear out some aiptasia. I made it quick and wasnt thinking. I stripped two wires for the - and +. I was using the tip of the + wire to zap the Aiptasia. I did it about 15 times. Didnt think until I was done that it was COPPER wire. Could this affect the coral?
3 - during my zapping I briefly touched some palys which I think caused them to release some palytoxin in the water. If so can this cause issues with corals?

I cannot bring up my nitrates for anything. I dose loudwolf sodium nitrate about 1-2ppm everynight and it is still reading 0. I have a fuge with Chaeto and mangroves that might be slowing the nitrates?
df29ab9f94533d422d081d9301a83499.jpg
c77096488fe15731ec4b0392953457dd.jpg
66d0b5dc3d4a64a80fad83aec844d5fe.jpg
9c2fd738b165f471b368487f592a0e62.jpg
7a444935930cdc1038f2810867e32610.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although not SPS. But my waving hand Anthelia is a white color. It normally is a pinkish/brown color but there is a section that is white now. Hard to tell with the lighting though.
f3b434e8a75c4590cfdfeb9c12ea32ec.jpg

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fuge is consuming the n03. Slowly increase the dosage while testing until you get some color on the test kit.

Electricity/current in a reef tank is known to cause issues with inhabitants. Can’t tell you for sure if that was the cause but I doubt it helped.

Up the doser slowly until you start to show some no3.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fuge is consuming the n03. Slowly increase the dosage while testing until you get some color on the test kit.

Electricity/current in a reef tank is known to cause issues with inhabitants. Can’t tell you for sure if that was the cause but I doubt it helped.

Up the doser slowly until you start to show some no3.
I installed a ground probe in my DT about a month ago. Hopefully that would help dissipate any current.

Do you think the phosgaurd could be an issue?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your fish load like? What are you using to test phosphate and nitrate? Are you feeding your fish well? This is likely a reaction to the phosban and you driving nitrates and/or phosphates too low. Do not just dump more of some type of nitrates supplement in there until you understand what's going on as you may do a lot more damage. Your tank looks practically sterile and I would bet there's no way you were or are actually at .20 for phosphate

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no, this has nothing to do with grounding probes, stray voltage, or palytoxin... There is no good evidence that that stuff is much of a factor in healthy corals one way or another.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your fish load like? What are you using to test phosphate and nitrate? Are you feeding your fish well? This is likely a reaction to the phosban and you driving nitrates and/or phosphates too low. Do not just dump more of some type of nitrates supplement in there until you understand what's going on as you may do a lot more damage. Your tank looks practically sterile and I would bet there's no way you were or are actually at .20
Tank is 150 gallons. Upgraded from a 55g two months ago. I added my existing live rock to new dry rock. Dry rock was curing for a little over a month. I was suspecting that the new rock was leaching phosphates because it steadily increased from .06 to .46 in a matter of a couple weeks.

Fish load is not heavy. Have a maroon clown, a couple damsels, and a couple chromis. I feed a couple small times a day and reef roids every two days.

I am testing phosphates with Hanna ULR checker and Nitrates with Red Sea. Have yet to see a slight hint of pink on the Red Sea Colorimeter wheel.

Did a 20 gallon water change earlier in hope's that might help.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely the phosban one way or another, even if PO4 really is that high, and there have been plenty of people that have had issues with corals bleaching or RTN'ing from using GFO and seemingly related to dropping phosphates too quickly. I would verify your test results elsewhere if possible, because you tank does not look like one that has high phosphates. I'd suggest adding some fish and feeding them well; your corals will thank you. Just dumping some nitrate supplement in isn't going to help.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a ground probe in my DT about a month ago. Hopefully that would help dissipate any current.

Do you think the phosgaurd could be an issue?
I think so. I used phosguard a long time ago and I had 3 frags rtn the next day. Chasing low po4 with absorbing products always caused me more problems than it helped. I’ve had much better growth and coloring not worrying about po4 or no3.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was adding Phosguard because my LPS was not looking good but my SPS was. I added the Phosguard and my LPS looked great the next 2 days after until today...

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is the Phosphate remover too.

My LPS and SPS look very very similar to yours but that's after 3 months fallow. I have been feeding heavily but I imagine the end result is the same as using too much GFO, very low N and P and very pale corals.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is the Phosphate remover too.

My LPS and SPS look very very similar to yours but that's after 3 months fallow. I have been feeding heavily but I imagine the end result is the same as using too much GFO, very low N and P and very pale corals.
I stopped the Phosguard and fingers are crossed their color will come back.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the tank temp at? any swings/changes throughout the day or week?
Now in the summertime around 77.8 mornings and up to around 78.8 at peak of day.

It has been this way for a couple weeks now.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized you're using phosguard, which is aluminum oxide based product (not GFO) and often stresses out octocorals and some type of corals even more than GFO based PO4 removers. Leeching of some type has been speculated as the cause.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized you're using phosguard, which is aluminum oxide based product (not GFO) and often stresses out octocorals and some type of corals even more than GFO based PO4 removers. Leeching of some type has been speculated as the cause.
I stopped the Phosguard. I am going to do water changes everyday for a week. Do you think this is a good idea?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped the Phosguard. I am going to do water changes everyday for a week. Do you think this is a good idea?

The negative effects don't seem to be lasting, so don't worry too much about what it may have leeched. Regarding water changes, do one or two decent size (25ish%) if you'd like. No need to get carried away and do one every day though.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I have seen Xenia family animals turn pale was related to too much lighting in range with the parameters you have listed.

It is the dandelion of the reef tank IMO

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 150 gallons. Upgraded from a 55g two months ago. I added my existing live rock to new dry rock. Dry rock was curing for a little over a month. I was suspecting that the new rock was leaching phosphates because it steadily increased from .06 to .46 in a matter of a couple weeks.

Fish load is not heavy. Have a maroon clown, a couple damsels, and a couple chromis. I feed a couple small times a day and reef roids every two days.

I am testing phosphates with Hanna ULR checker and Nitrates with Red Sea. Have yet to see a slight hint of pink on the Red Sea Colorimeter wheel.

Did a 20 gallon water change earlier in hope's that might help.

I use to use Red Sea to test nitrates and switched to salifert. Best thing I ever did. Easier to use and a more accurate reading.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back