Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef I have a 20 nuvo that will be getting set up soon and I have an idea for my stock list. Will this be fine:
2 Snowflake Clowns
1 royal gramma
1 firefish
1 yasha goby/ pistol shrimp pair.

Would this work???

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef I have a 20 nuvo that will be getting set up soon and I have an idea for my stock list. Will this be fine:
2 Snowflake Clowns
1 royal gramma
1 firefish

Would this work???
Possibly. That's a fairly large bioload for 20g. Add slowly and add the clowns last, as they are the most territorial.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Snowflake Clowns
1 royal gramma
1 firefish

Would this work???
yes as long as you have good filtration (protein skimmer) and have a lid

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my 85g tank is full fishwise but I would always love to add one more, possibly a tomini, kole or bristletooth tang. Or maybe a wrasse but I am worried it would out compete the mandarin for pods. Would love advice form this great community.

The current fish inhabitants are:
Copper Banded Butterfly
Green Mandarin
Dispar Anthias x 2
Coral Beauty
Picasso Clownfish x 2
Firefish

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my 85g tank is full fishwise but I would always love to add one more, possibly a tomini, kole or bristletooth tang. Or maybe a wrasse but I am worried it would out compete the mandarin for pods. Would love advice form this great community.

The current fish inhabitants are:
Copper Banded Butterfly
Green Mandarin
Dispar Anthias x 2
Coral Beauty
Picasso Clownfish x 2
Firefish
The tang can work. Fairy or flasher wrasses won't compete for pods.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many differing opinions on the Flame Hawkfish. How much should I worry about adding one to my 140 gallon with the following fish?

Pair red mandarins
Scooter blenny
Blue spot jawfish
Two young clowns
Molly
White tail bristle tooth tang
Two African gumdrops
Yellow belly regal angelfish

I think that is all, no shrimp

Shelley

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many differing opinions on the Flame Hawkfish. How much should I worry about adding one to my 140 gallon with the following fish?

Pair red mandarins
Scooter blenny
Blue spot jawfish
Two young clowns
Molly
White tail bristle tooth tang
Two African gumdrops
Yellow belly regal angelfish

I think that is all, no shrimp

Shelley
I've never had an issue with flame hawks. I have found them to be a delightful, personable fish, and have had them in numerous tanks that I care for.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with flame hawks. I have found them to be a delightful, personable fish, and have had them in numerous tanks that I care for.

Have you had a FH with any of the fish I have? If so which? I am especially concerned with my smaller fish.

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had a FH with any of the fish I have? If so which? I am especially concerned with my smaller fish.

Thanks
Yes, I have kept them with all of those fish. All of your fish are too big to be eaten by a flame hawk.

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big Christmas wrasse and a male solorensis. purchased an orange back wrasse yesterday, its pretty much the same size as the solarensis but it is getting picked on. Christmas wrasse could care less but the solarensis is keeping the orange back in one corner of the tank. I watched it go on for about 4 hours and put the orange back into an acclimation box. should I get rid of the solarensis? keep the orange back in the box for a few days? move the solarensis for a few days? or are they just establishing the order and it will work itself out? thanks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big Christmas wrasse and a male solorensis. purchased an orange back wrasse yesterday, its pretty much the same size as the solarensis but it is getting picked on. Christmas wrasse could care less but the solarensis is keeping the orange back in one corner of the tank. I watched it go on for about 4 hours and put the orange back into an acclimation box. should I get rid of the solarensis? keep the orange back in the box for a few days? move the solarensis for a few days? or are they just establishing the order and it will work itself out? thanks.
Solorensis and orange back fairy wrasses are in the same species complex, so can be more aggressive with each other than toward other fairy wrasse species.

However, in large enough tanks(100+g) they can usually coexist. Try the acclimation box for a few days, but if the orange back gets chased to the corner again, then one will need to be rehomed.

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. thanks - its a 4ft 120 tank. hope they can coexist. if not the solarensis will have to go. what other wrasses, if any would you recommend ?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty that will work. I would suggest finding a handful that interest you then post regarding compatibility.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast

Hello guys and gals ,
I have a 90g mixed reef , and I would like too add a Gobiodon Okinawae -
Current tank inhabitants
2 snowflake clownfish
1 6line wrasse
1 yellow watchman goby
1 flame angel
1 sandhopper
5 blue chromis

1 pistolshrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
3 hermit crabs
4 emerald crabs

Any advice would be welcome !!

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast

Hello guys and gals ,
I have a 90g mixed reef , and I would like too add a Gobiodon Okinawae -
Current tank inhabitants
2 snowflake clownfish
1 6line wrasse
1 yellow watchman goby
1 flame angel
1 sandhopper

1 pistolshrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
3 hermit crabs
4 emerald crabs

Any advice would be welcome !!
That should be ok. The possible issue is that the sixline may be aggressive toward it. And if the sand hopper is big enough it may try to eat it, but most fish don't eat clown gobies because clown gobies produce a bad tasting slime coat.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be ok. The possible issue is that the sixline may be aggressive toward it. And if the sand hopper is big enough it may try to eat it, but most fish don't eat clown gobies because clown gobies produce a bad tasting slime coat.
Well I got one and he’s doing great , my 6line gave him a hard time for about 5 mins then lost interest ,1 of the chromis too , today nobody bothers him and he’s found a spot in my monti forest fire !

0892A8C2-8D1F-4439-A00A-FAA8683CD0B9.jpeg

544FCCBB-2046-43B5-BC45-373E583255DD.jpeg

10AC6F53-533E-4588-9E91-9655E3361875.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back