Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you don’t trust anemone with fish heavy tank is that a lone carpet or even it is hosting clowns? In my last tank the tomato would not let anything near it’s anemone

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you don’t trust anemone with fish heavy tank is that a lone carpet or even it is hosting clowns? In my last tank the tomato would not let anything near it’s anemone
Even with a clown hosting. When a fish gets startled or surprised they just dart, regardless of tomato clown or not. And a carpet just needs a second.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orangeshoulder, lemon peel, and Chevron tangs in a 60x30x24 180g? I'm not too worried about the lemon(120g), but the orangeshoulder and chevron are listed as requiring 180. Because my tank will only be 5 ft long I'm not sure if that'd be ideal. While I'd love these 3 specifically, it's about what's best for them. If my dimensions aren't compatible I'll figure something else out.

Tank mates will be some randalls anthias, blue-green chromis, fairy/flasher wrasses and a clown.

Thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orangeshoulder, lemon peel, and Chevron tangs in a 60x30x24 180g? I'm not too worried about the lemon(120g), but the orangeshoulder and chevron are listed as requiring 180. Because my tank will only be 5 ft long I'm not sure if that'd be ideal. While I'd love these 3 specifically, it's about what's best for them. If my dimensions aren't compatible I'll figure something else out.

Tank mates will be some randalls anthias, blue-green chromis, fairy/flasher wrasses and a clown.

Thoughts?
The chevron should be ok. The orange shoulder is a maybe.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I don't trust carpet anemones in a fish dominant display, I've seen to many fish fall prey to them."

When I had a carpet before the clown didn't let anyone near it. Are you saying an unhosted carpet would be trouble with quite a few fish in there or do you mean even a clown hosted one would be trouble? Would a malu or rosebulb be less of a problem than the carpet? I just want my clowns to have something nice to call home.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen quite a number of fish get eaten by a carpet anemone even though an assertive clown was hosting in said anemone.

Malu and rbta are safer, but there isno guarantee the clowns will even choose to host in it. Oftentimes they choose a coral or something else entirely to host in.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I don't trust carpet anemones in a fish dominant display, I've seen to many fish fall prey to them."

When I had a carpet before the clown didn't let anyone near it. Are you saying an unhosted carpet would be trouble with quite a few fish in there or do you mean even a clown hosted one would be trouble? Would a malu or rosebulb be less of a problem than the carpet? I just want my clowns to have something nice to call home.

I've never had a carpet so I can't speak with experience there. I have, however, had a few bubble tips and a long tentacle. When a fish touched either they'd simply shrug it off. That said, the lta was far stickier than the btas were. If the fish was compromised I could easily imagine it catching and eating it. If you're determined to do the anemone/ tank full of fish I'd recommend the bta. Plenty of gorgeous bubble tips out there

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if the clowns don't host in it, I would donate it to a pet store. I just want the clowns to be happy. What would be a good thing to put in there for them to host in?
I am fine with a bubble tip if you think that is safer. For that matter if you think they would be happy in a coral instead...what type of coral do you think would be a possibility? I don't want dead fish, I just want happy clowns.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're definitely not picky. I got hit with velvet because I didn't know to qt snails and crabs. I currently have a pair of ocellaris in one qt and a percula in another. They've grown quite fond of PVC. These clowns also had nems at one point. My first pair of ocellaris loved powerheads. Honestly, they'll be content with whatever the find

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank, my clowns host in a platygyra. I have seen them in colts, toadstool, green nepthia, devil's hand, acans, acanthophyllia, duncans, gsp, bubble corals, euphyllia, zoas, and the corner of a tank and near a powerhead.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will basically host anything and it may not be what you wish. It may be helpful to get the anemone first (if you do not already have clowns, sounds like you are just planning). If the anemone is there first, the clowns may be more likely to find it when first introduced. If they are already in a spot it may be tougher. Especially if the clowns and anemone are not a natural hosting set.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see tomato's preferred is bubble tip. And yes right now I am trying to figure out what size tank to get. I am thinking a 240Gallon will work well for me. But I wanted to get some advice before purchasing the tank. So probably 6 months away from the 1st live thing entering the tank.

So we confirmed carpet apparently not a good idea. I can live without a carpet if it is really that much a problem.

Now anything else on my list that needs to NOT go in there?

Last edited:

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding another fish...I have a 1 yr old mixed reef w/ Carpenters Wrasse, Osc. Clownfish (x2), Starry Blenny, Lyretail Anthias (x3). I don't know if i can or should, but wanted to get an idea of suggestions. Looking for something of a free swimmer to add some more movement and increase my normal bioload as currently i have a low nutrient system. Nitrate is usually (<3ppm) and Phos (<.05ppm) and i have to dose Stump remover to get that nitrate level.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding another fish...I have a 1 yr old mixed reef w/ Carpenters Wrasse, Osc. Clownfish (x2), Starry Blenny, Lyretail Anthias (x3). I don't know if i can or should, but wanted to get an idea of suggestions. Looking for something of a free swimmer to add some more movement and increase my normal bioload as currently i have a low nutrient system. Nitrate is usually (<3ppm) and Phos (<.05ppm) and i have to dose Stump remover to get that nitrate level.
What size tank?

Grammistes blenny or purple tilefish are open water fish.

Kali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Starry Goby (Asterropteryx semipunctata), and a Yellow Priolepsis Goby in a 45 cube.

Would adding a Black Cap Basslet be a bad idea? How about if I wanted to add Green bandeds or other small gobies in the future?
Looking at options for less cryptic fish, that aren't coral eaters/nippers or expert carpet surfers.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Starry Goby (Asterropteryx semipunctata), and a Yellow Priolepsis Goby in a 45 cube.

Would adding a Black Cap Basslet be a bad idea? How about if I wanted to add Green bandeds or other small gobies in the future?
Looking at options for less cryptic fish, that aren't coral eaters/nippers or expert carpet surfers.
Depending on how small future goby additions are there may be some potential for a lg black cap basslet hunting small new additions. However they would have to be tiny.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%

Back