Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am familiar with the delicate nature/poor shipping of blue reef chromis, but compatibility wise, any issue adding a blue reef chromis trio from divers den to a 90g reef with the following live stock:

Midas Blenny
Helfrichi Firefish
2x Blue Star Leopards
Matted Filefish
Copperband Butterfly

And then afterwards adding

Sunburst anthia
Melanarus or Vroliks
Flame angel

Thanks
No compatibility issues.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i'm thinking of adding a striped fang blenny (M.grammistes) and a molly miller to my 55g FOWLR, only other residents are a coral beauty and orchid dottyback, should I expect any issues? I have read molly millers can be aggressive to other bottom dwellers and it would be joining my mandarin in a 280G reef upgrade in the not too distant future assuming they too are compatible?

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i'm thinking of adding a striped fang blenny (M.grammistes) and a molly miller to my 55g FOWLR, only other residents are a coral beauty and orchid dottyback, should I expect any issues? I have read molly millers can be aggressive to other bottom dwellers and it would be joining my mandarin in a 280G reef upgrade in the not too distant future assuming they too are compatible?

Thanks
There may be some chasing the first few days, but shouldn't be too problematic.

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Looking for fish suggestions for my setup. I have a 34 gallon frag tank (36x18x12). This is bare-bottom with only frag racks.
Initially, I was thinking about a pest controller and an algae controller. A Six-Line Wrasse and a Kole Tang seem to be the go-to combo, however, the Kole will be a no-go for my size system.
Any suggestions for a good work crew?
Or should I not concern myself with workers, and look into getting just a few coral food creators?

Appreciate any input.

Dystinction

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Looking for fish suggestions for my setup. I have a 34 gallon frag tank (36x18x12). This is bare-bottom with only frag racks.
Initially, I was thinking about a pest controller and an algae controller. A Six-Line Wrasse and a Kole Tang seem to be the go-to combo, however, the Kole will be a no-go for my size system.
Any suggestions for a good work crew?
Or should I not concern myself with workers, and look into getting just a few coral food creators?

Appreciate any input.

Dystinction
A sixline wrasse and algae/starry blenny combo would work.

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast, thank you for the suggestion.
I was actually thinking of a similar combo. I was looking at possibly the six-line and a tail spot blenny. The tail spot over either of the two you mentioned for no reason other than the potential 'max size' of the fish.
However, it just occurred to me that maybe the larger potential Blenny size may serve to curb possible har-wrasse-ment from the six-line (<- Sorry about that...that was bad!).
Thoughts?

Dystinction

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast, thank you for the suggestion.
I was actually thinking of a similar combo. I was looking at possibly the six-line and a tail spot blenny. The tail spot over either of the two you mentioned for no reason other than the potential 'max size' of the fish.
However, it just occurred to me that maybe the larger potential Blenny size may serve to curb possible har-wrasse-ment from the six-line (<- Sorry about that...that was bad!).
Thoughts?

Dystinction
The larger blennies can definitely handle themselves against a sixline, are better algae eaters, but also stigmatura blennies can on occasion nip corals.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not, unless you're planning a tank upgrade.

After thinking it over for a week, I'm considering swapping out the 6 foot 125-gallon in my system for something larger so I can keep the fish I really desire. Would a 72x24x24 180 gallon be sufficient swim space for a Rectangle Triggerfish, Niger Triggerfish, Powder Blue Tang, Blue Tang, pair of Yellow Tang, Achilles Tang, pair of One Spot Foxface, Pair of Auriga Butterflyfish? Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking it over for a week, I'm considering swapping out the 6 foot 125-gallon in my system for something larger so I can keep the fish I really desire. Would a 72x24x24 180 gallon be sufficient swim space for a Rectangle Triggerfish, Niger Triggerfish, Powder Blue Tang, Blue Tang, pair of Yellow Tang, Achilles Tang, pair of One Spot Foxface, Pair of Auriga Butterflyfish? Thanks!
Choose between the powder blue and the achilles. 180g is too small for both of these big attitude tangs.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choose between the powder blue and the achilles. 180g is too small for both of these big attitude tangs.

Ok, so a 72x24x24 180 gallon with a Rectangle Triggerfish, Niger Triggerfish, Powder Blue Tang, Blue Tang, pair of Yellow Tang, pair of One Spot Foxface, and a pair of Auriga Butterflyfish, Blue Spotted Puffer, Porcupine Puffer. Would it be best to add the four tangs to the display all at once? I'm thinking of adding them in the order first to last:

pair of Auriga Butterflyfish
pair of One Spot Foxface
Blue Spotted Pufferfish
Porcupine Pufferfish
Rectangle Triggerfish
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Niger Triggerfish

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so a 72x24x24 180 gallon with a Rectangle Triggerfish, Niger Triggerfish, Powder Blue Tang, Blue Tang, pair of Yellow Tang, pair of One Spot Foxface, and a pair of Auriga Butterflyfish, Blue Spotted Puffer, Porcupine Puffer. Would it be best to add the four tangs to the display all at once? I'm thinking of adding them in the order first to last:

pair of Auriga Butterflyfish
pair of One Spot Foxface
Blue Spotted Pufferfish
Porcupine Pufferfish
Rectangle Triggerfish
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Niger Triggerfish
Add the triggers together and powder blue last.

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon peninsula and I have a clown pair in it but want to add 3 bengii cardinalfish and a purple dottyback with a six line wrasse is the plan. it has the reef glass nano skimmer and chaetomax with chaeto inside. But is it overstocked?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 2 clowns is pretty well stocked for a 15 gallon display. Maybe one other fish. I would say a 6-line may get aggressive in that small of an aquarium.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon peninsula and I have a clown pair in it but want to add 3 bengii cardinalfish and a purple dottyback with a six line wrasse is the plan. it has the reef glass nano skimmer and chaetomax with chaeto inside. But is it overstocked?
That's a lot of fish for a 20g.

Too small for both a purple dottyback and a sixline wrasse, both of which are pretty aggressive. Bangaii cardinals are also intolerant of their own kind unless they are a bonded pr, so 2 of those at the most.

Guy Clement

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two of those tanks. Definitely nice little AIOs.

I had 2 clowns and a watchman goby/pistol shrimp in each tank
hmmm, really want a mandarin but there simply isn't enough copepod room lol, what about a jaw fish?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back