Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 4 turban snails max since they get pretty big, but 12 hermits should be fine. Crushed coral shouldn’t be a problem for a chocolate chip star, but chocolate chip stars aren’t coral safe, so I wouldn’t get one since it will eat your green star polyps and possibly your anemone if it’s small enough.

The anemone is huge, but yeah.... I was told it would mow down my polyps (which aren’t even really mine yet!)

I was limited to what they had, so I got 10 turbo snails, 2 really nice big scarlets, 10 blue leg hermits, and 3 shrimp. I am going back when they get in more so I can pick up 3 emperor crabs.

I wanted a huge coral banded shrimp they had, but it would ultimately start to cause trouble with my fish in the future so I settled for the shrimp I got.

I didn’t have enough algae to get a lawnmower blenny without starving him

I plan to keep running the tank in good parameters, add new lights and maybe a refugium, and then I will need to decide something “fun” that will be coral safe, ok with a bubble tip and clowns, and not get too big for my tank

Basically I want 1 maybe 2 other fish. I wish I had the space for one of the more colorful or exotic puffers, but I don’t

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone is huge, but yeah.... I was told it would mow down my polyps (which aren’t even really mine yet!)

I was limited to what they had, so I got 10 turbo snails, 2 really nice big scarlets, 10 blue leg hermits, and 3 shrimp. I am going back when they get in more so I can pick up 3 emperor crabs.

I wanted a huge coral banded shrimp they had, but it would ultimately start to cause trouble with my fish in the future so I settled for the shrimp I got.

I didn’t have enough algae to get a lawnmower blenny without starving him

I plan to keep running the tank in good parameters, add new lights and maybe a refugium, and then I will need to decide something “fun” that will be coral safe, ok with a bubble tip and clowns, and not get too big for my tank

Basically I want 1 maybe 2 other fish. I wish I had the space for one of the more colorful or exotic puffers, but I don’t
You wouldn’t want a puffer in that tank with the amount of crustaceans and invertebrates that you have, since it will turn them into very expensive dinners. You could do a toby puffer in a tank of that size if you’re willing to let it eat your inverts, but they generally leave coral alone. I have a Valentini puffer in a tank of the same size. 10 turbo snails will very quickly consume all edible algae and starve to death, so be wary of that. In terms of reef safe fish, your main options are gobies, dartfish, fairy wrasses, basslets, dottybacks, and jawfish if you have a deep enough sand bed. One cool combo is a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp since they will pair up and share a burrow together

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t want a puffer in that tank with the amount of crustaceans and invertebrates that you have, since it will turn them into very expensive dinners. You could do a toby puffer in a tank of that size if you’re willing to let it eat your inverts, but they generally leave coral alone. I have a Valentini puffer in a tank of the same size. 10 turbo snails will very quickly consume all edible algae and starve to death, so be wary of that. In terms of reef safe fish, your main options are gobies, dartfish, fairy wrasses, basslets, dottybacks, and jawfish if you have a deep enough sand bed. One cool combo is a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp since they will pair up and share a burrow together

How deep of a sandbed are we talking? And I have crushed coral... does that change the type of fish/inverts I can keep vs a finer grain sand?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29g reef tank and have room for one more fish. I have an occ. clown and a Darwin occ. clown and I was thinking about adding another clown and having a clown trio? But I’ve read a little bit about how it can’t really be done. I have a bubble tip anemone in the tank too but only the Darwin hosts it.
It is POSSIBLE to do a clown trio, however it is dependent on the third on e being a juvenile. It also helps to add it simultaneously with the other 2. If you can't ensure either of those, then don't try a trio.
Looking for rec’s on tangs for my mixed reef 125g. I was hoping for 2 to introduce at the same time as my final stocking. My wife really likes yellow tang. Would going with 2 yellows be better than 2 different types?

Current stocking:
2 ocellaris clowns
Lawn mower Benny
Royal gramma
Banggi cardinal
2 black axil chromis
Flame angel
Don't do 2 yellows. Get a yellow and a small Acanthurus species , such as convict, mimic, or a Ctenochaetus species.
Will a blood red fire shrimp bother a harlequin shrimp in a Red Sea reefer 250? Is having a blue tuxedo urchin an issue? I found some pest starfish and would get the harlequin shrimp to remove them then remove the shrimp
Those shrimp will be fine together.
39F773EF-7F6B-4027-A990-C2E6A58F83D1.jpeg
1CDEAAB1-D0BC-4F65-BCD8-B0CA9C6EE77D.jpeg
I have a 46 gallon bow-front with an Aqua-clear 110 filter as well as a penguin 170 (that will be removed to make room for new refugium) I have a protein skimmer that hangs on the back but I don’t know the brand, but it is a reasonable size, as well as a cheap powerhead on one side that faces the curved glass and a new Koralia 1400-1500 gph powerhead on the other side.

I use two heaters to be safe, I have 53lbs or so live-rock and a tube-type hood light and two 36” long single strips of white LEDs and one 24” blue strip LEDs

I plan on picking up the 36-48” Current USA Pro LEDs in addition to the refugium so I am hoping my light, filtration, and water-flow issues are all good.

My kids want clowns (go figure) so I plan to get a pair and a Bubble Tip. I need advice on the one or two other fish I can toss in this thing to fill it out.

I currently have 2 Dominos, a Yellow Tail-blue, and a 4-stripe damsel along with a green and lemon Chromis. I have 3 different hermit crabs right now and two flower anemones (Came with one rock I picked up at local store after I was up and running)

I understand that all of these fish are, and will be expended when I place the permanent fish in the tank..... these are basically just fish to prove to myself I can keep something alive in this tank.

I found I have API test kits, so they will be replaced, but I have also been getting my water tested at my local shop.

I also buy RODI water from them, but I am getting my own RODI filter for home.

I have crushed coral substrate and use Instant Ocean Salt.

Hmmmm. what else......

The tank has an overflow (I believe..... or it may be a sump?) that sits under the stand in the cabinet and has two large hoses to a return/intake on the back of the tank.
I got the entire setup from a local craigslist deal, and in the first week or so I got the Aquaclear 110 and 1500 gph powerhead, and an extra 20lb live rock, with RODI filter/new light/refugium planned soon.

Basically I am improving upon a stable tank that was running for 17 years.

I brought home the tank/etc with his substrate and 33# live rock and used it all with about 17-18 gallons of his water to do a “move and big water change” rather than a total tear-down and new tank re-cycle.

I ultimately (hopefully I can resist for 18mo or so) plan to transfer it all to a 75-150 gallon depending on what I find for a good deal etc, and setting it up and pumping everything from old to new tank and just upgrading lights/heater/another filter etc.

For the tome being though I plan on adding the two clowns, an anemone, another rock with some green star on it, and then I need help........

I want 1-2 other fish (cool unique get bonus points here) and I need a good clean up crew. Thinking green emerald crabs, turbo snail, peppermint shrimp and more hermits maybe? all those safe for green star and anemone?

Suggestions wanted!!
I will try to upload theanemone and green star I am looking at.

Not sure why, but pics at top

Edit! Sorry. It bares noting that I have never had a saltwater tank, nor a freshwater one, nor a bowl with a goldfish. I am completely new to all of this so if I left out any important details or am missing some obvious things here, I am all ears! Totally new to all of this.

Edit. Will also put pantyhose or something similar over power heads to protect anemones
As long as you have those damsels do not add more fish. They can be very territorial in a small tank. It's also a decent bioload for what you have.

Do not add an anemone yet. They don't like the instability of a newly setup tank, even if the tank had been setup previously.

Take your time with adjustments. Get some experience with the ins-and-outs of keeping saltwater.
6032A085-9C60-451D-BB98-AC4FB516A50E.jpeg
I plan to move them out. Is there such a thing as “too many snails/crabs/shrimp”.?

Can I dump 12 turban and 12 hermits in and be fine.? Do their cleaning properties offset nitrate output? Them starving isn’t as big a concern to me

Are starfish a no-go for crushed coral substrate? Do they need sand? I am eyeing a nice looking “Chocolate Chip” one my daughter wants
It is possible to have too much cuc. Crabs can hunt each other and hunt snails if there isn't enough food for them.

Choc chip stars are not coral safe.
Is a larger Anemone easier to add than a small one?

6032A085-9C60-451D-BB98-AC4FB516A50E.jpeg
Do not add an anemone to a new tank. Let it stabilize for a few months.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep of a sandbed are we talking? And I have crushed coral... does that change the type of fish/inverts I can keep vs a finer grain sand?
Crushed coral can affect some fish and inverts, but mostly sand dwellers or sand burying species.

Don't add any fish until you get rid of those damsels.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crushed coral can affect some fish and inverts, but mostly sand dwellers or sand burying species.

Don't add any fish until you get rid of those damsels.

That’s the plan. Netting may be a challenge but I can probably make it happen when the time comes.

I was told the turbo snails will naturally die off over time, so I am not so worried about those. The 3 shrimp vanished into the rocks upon release. Who knows if I will ever catch a glimpse of those little guys again!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the plan. Netting may be a challenge but I can probably make it happen when the time comes.

I was told the turbo snails will naturally die off over time, so I am not so worried about those. The 3 shrimp vanished into the rocks upon release. Who knows if I will ever catch a glimpse of those little guys again!
Turbo snails can live 6+ years. If they are dying off before that then there is a more nefarious cause.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails can right themselves, trochus get stuck. But if you see one knocked over, fix it.

Got it. Thanks!

I appreciate all the help this place provides. I still don’t know if I would have been up to the task of cycling a tank from scratch but my entire setup went rather smoothly and the only thing I have been battling now is the temperatures

Taryn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I just bought a 90 gallon tank that had been established for many years running a sump and canister filtration and led lights with 60lbs live rock and sand. It came with a Coral
Beauty who has been hiding. I want to add a Refugium to the sump and was hoping for some ideas for corals and additional fish to slowly add. I have experience with my 75 gallon freshwater tank for 8+ years and slowly started a 12 gallon nano late nov. that now has a cuc, a Picasso clownfish, a pistol shrimp and black stripe goby. I was hoping to get a additional Picasso clownfish and move to the 90 gallon. Love the idea of maybe a Toby puffer but no idea what else just know I want lots of color and . Thank you for any advice and suggestions

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I need a wrasse. I have a RedSea Max E-170, (45G) stocked w/2 clowns, bi-color blenny, YWG w/pistol shrimp, royal gamma and now that the dottyback is gone, all are happy. I don't want to overstock but am considering adding a small wrasse, like a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse? I've read they like to school, would a pair be too much?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I need a wrasse. I have a RedSea Max E-170, (45G) stocked w/2 clowns, bi-color blenny, YWG w/pistol shrimp, royal gamma and now that the dottyback is gone, all are happy. I don't want to overstock but am considering adding a small wrasse, like a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse? I've read they like to school, would a pair be too much?

Wrasse dont really pair. In the wild they form harems where there is one male and many females(that overtime transition to male), the size of sea allows aggression to be sorted by space. A home aquarium doesnt have this space. So just one :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I just bought a 90 gallon tank that had been established for many years running a sump and canister filtration and led lights with 60lbs live rock and sand. It came with a Coral
Beauty who has been hiding. I want to add a Refugium to the sump and was hoping for some ideas for corals and additional fish to slowly add. I have experience with my 75 gallon freshwater tank for 8+ years and slowly started a 12 gallon nano late nov. that now has a cuc, a Picasso clownfish, a pistol shrimp and black stripe goby. I was hoping to get a additional Picasso clownfish and move to the 90 gallon. Love the idea of maybe a Toby puffer but no idea what else just know I want lots of color and . Thank you for any advice and suggestions
Leathers, mushrooms, green star polyps are good starter corals.

A toby puffer will eat you cuc.

Make sure the clown you add is not a female.

Some suggestiins include: royal gramma, flasher or fairy wrasses, yellow assessor, chalk bass, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish.
Agreed with advice given. Wrasses don't pr and most should not be kept as groups of the same species. A single mckoskers will be fine, though.

Taryn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers, mushrooms, green star polyps are good starter corals.

A toby puffer will eat you cuc.

Make sure the clown you add is not a female.

Some suggestiins include: royal gramma, flasher or fairy wrasses, yellow assessor, chalk bass, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish.

Thank you eatbreakfast for the suggestions. I have been researching since December and there is sooo much information! My cuc is in my nano and they are staying there. Husband and kiddos really want a puffer so I read they would eat snails, shrimp, crabs...etc. Figure I want to start adding corals first before adding fish.

Agreed with advice given. Wrasses don't pr and most should not be kept as groups of the same species. A single mckoskers will be fine, though.

LynzieS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My aquarium is nearly set up, just need to finish epoxying the rock and then fill it with water. Set up details: 40g breeder, 1/4" mesh top screen, azu-100 sump, Tunze-Doc 9410 skimmer

Planning on mixed reef with mostly lps but a good mixture of everything. Only about 1-1.5" sandbed. It's been a while since I've had an aquarium and would value some opinions on stocking. I'm not really set on any fish, except possibly a royal gramma basslet, loved my last one. Thinking a green or yellow clown goby and a dartfish but I also want a wrasse of some sort but I've never had one before so not sure what I should look into. Definitely don't want anything aggressive so no six-line or aggressive damselfish. Any good recommendations on wrasse or other fish?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My aquarium is nearly set up, just need to finish epoxying the rock and then fill it with water. Set up details: 40g breeder, 1/4" mesh top screen, azu-100 sump, Tunze-Doc 9410 skimmer

Planning on mixed reef with mostly lps but a good mixture of everything. Only about 1-1.5" sandbed. It's been a while since I've had an aquarium and would value some opinions on stocking. I'm not really set on any fish, except possibly a royal gramma basslet, loved my last one. Thinking a green or yellow clown goby and a dartfish but I also want a wrasse of some sort but I've never had one before so not sure what I should look into. Definitely don't want anything aggressive so no six-line or aggressive damselfish. Any good recommendations on wrasse or other fish?
Any flasher wrasse except the 8line will work, as will a small Cirrhilabrus, such as pintail, lunatus, or rhomboid. Pink streak or possum wrasses would also work.

Kasey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 55g sumpless fowlr. I’m about to get a pair of clownfish into quarantine and am interested in a few of the following to add down the road. Any recommendations, do’s/don’ts, pros/cons, etc? What order should I add things? Also, did I miss anything in my research and add anything too large to live comfortably in a 55g? I won’t be upgrading to a jumbo tank (150g) for at least another year or two.

These are the fish I’ve narrowed down to future possibilities (not all of them, I’m very aware of the dangers of a overstocked tank.)

Royal Gramma (2)
Chromis (3+)
Yellow Prawn Gobi (1)
Pink Spotted Gobi (1)
Yellowhead Jawfish (1)
Blue Dot Jawfish (1)
Black Cap Basslet (1)
Yellow Candy Hogfish (1)
Zebra Barred Dartfish (2-5)
Exquisite Fish

Thanks!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 55g sumpless fowlr. I’m about to get a pair of clownfish into quarantine and am interested in a few of the following to add down the road. Any recommendations, do’s/don’ts, pros/cons, etc? What order should I add things? Also, did I miss anything in my research and add anything too large to live comfortably in a 55g? I won’t be upgrading to a jumbo tank (150g) for at least another year or two.

These are the fish I’ve narrowed down to future possibilities (not all of them, I’m very aware of the dangers of a overstocked tank.)

Royal Gramma (2)
Chromis (3+)
Yellow Prawn Gobi (1)
Pink Spotted Gobi (1)
Yellowhead Jawfish (1)
Blue Dot Jawfish (1)
Black Cap Basslet (1)
Yellow Candy Hogfish (1)
Zebra Barred Dartfish (2-5)
Exquisite Fish

Thanks!

Royal gramma will need to add when small at the same time. Would skip the blue dot jawfish, need slightly cooler waters. And i think jawfish can be aggressive(dont quote me on that) to conspecifics.
The black cap basslet is related to the royal grammas i might remove.
Exquisite fire fish can be aggressive to members of its family, would not do with other dart fish.
Dont know much about the hogfish to comment on it.

Back