Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the last day of TTM for a radiant wrasse.

I have a lubbocki as the resident wrasse and i know they have the ability to be agressive to new wrasses.

What size acclimation box should i use to introduce. And how much sand do you put in so it’s comfortable?

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack!! I'm new to the forum and just set up a 9 gallon fluval flex. I know I want a normal ocelleris clown, but I'm not sure what other fish I want. I was looking at either a firefish or royal gramma. Pros and cons of either? I did some research and there seems to be contrasting opinions on those guys and clownfish compatibility. Are there other fish that would work well in my tank? I wanted a blue colored fish but the yellow tail damsels are a little too aggressive lol.

Additionally, I want a CUC of at least a couple of small hermits and a cleaner shrimp. anything else for the CUC needed?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack!! I'm new to the forum and just set up a 9 gallon fluval flex. I know I want a normal ocelleris clown, but I'm not sure what other fish I want. I was looking at either a firefish or royal gramma. Pros and cons of either? I did some research and there seems to be contrasting opinions on those guys and clownfish compatibility. Are there other fish that would work well in my tank? I wanted a blue colored fish but the yellow tail damsels are a little too aggressive lol.

Additionally, I want a CUC of at least a couple of small hermits and a cleaner shrimp. anything else for the CUC needed?
9 gallons is very small for more than a just a clownfish or maybe a pair IMO. Definitely way too small for a royal gramma. You might be able to do a clown and a blue sapphire damsel since they are pretty peaceful. In terms of CUC, you will want something that can eat algae off of the glass and something to keep the sand bed turned and oxygenated. I would recommend 3 ish nassarius snails for the sand and a few turban snails for your glass, since they can flip themselves over if they fall off the glass.

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 gallons is very small for more than a just a clownfish or maybe a pair IMO. Definitely way too small for a royal gramma. You might be able to do a clown and a blue sapphire damsel since they are pretty peaceful. In terms of CUC, you will want something that can eat algae off of the glass and something to keep the sand bed turned and oxygenated. I would recommend 3 ish nassarius snails for the sand and a few turban snails for your glass, since they can flip themselves over if they fall off the glass.
Awesome, thank you for the info. What about 1 clown and 1 firefish?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you for the info. What about 1 clown and 1 firefish?
That could possibly work, but make sure you have a lid because firefish are notorious jumpers

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the last day of TTM for a radiant wrasse.

I have a lubbocki as the resident wrasse and i know they have the ability to be agressive to new wrasses.

What size acclimation box should i use to introduce. And how much sand do you put in so it’s comfortable?
The acclimation box doesn't have to be too big, just enough for the wrasse to be able to turn around, and go a couple of body lengths. I don't use sand in an acclimation box, as it will allow the fish to adjust to my light cycle.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimation box doesn't have to be too big, just enough for the wrasse to be able to turn around, and go a couple of body lengths. I don't use sand in an acclimation box, as it will allow the fish to adjust to my light cycle.

Thank you, will use the one i have then.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking for either one nice Anthia or a group of Anthias that's more peaceful than a Resplendent for 100g. My Resplendent that I just took out liked to boss my wimpy other fish.
Considering
• Slender Whitleyi Anthias group of 5
• Red Saddled Anthias 4.5" bit big
• Purple Queen 5" too big
• Princess size 3.5" I like
• Ventralis Anthias 2.75" wow wow
• Ignitus was a bit dull.

Any suggestions Princess looks interesting or Ventralis Anthias?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for either one nice Anthia or a group of Anthias that's more peaceful than a Resplendent for 100g. My Resplendent that I just took out liked to boss my wimpy other fish.
Considering
• Slender Whitleyi Anthias group of 5
• Red Saddled Anthias 4.5" bit big
• Purple Queen 5" too big
• Princess size 3.5" I like
• Ventralis Anthias 2.75" wow wow
• Ignitus was a bit dull.

Any suggestions Princess looks interesting or Ventralis Anthias?
Whitleyi are the only species more peaceful on your list than respendants.

Michael Hagstette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to saltwater and have a 60 gallon cube with a 15 gallon sump.I have lots of flow (2 Maxspect Gyre that are now turned down to 10% lol). This will be a reef tank with LPS and softies. I have 80 lbs of live rock and tons of marinepure in the sump. Will have my fuge going soon@ I could use some help with Wrasse compatability/ the order to introduce my fish to the aquarium. I currently have two black and white ocellaris clowns and a midas blenny. Do you think I can have the following fish as well and in what order if so?

Flameback angelfish, yellow prawn goby, royal gramma basslet, forktail blenny, mandarin Goby.
If the Mandarin is trained to eat pellets, can I also have a combination of the Halichoeres Melanurus Wrasse AND the Halichoeres claudia OR a red-lined wrasse to go along with all the fish listed above?

Since they are small, do you think I could add a green clown goby and yellow clown goby once my corals are established?

Am I way off and hoping for too many fish?
I am aware that the flameback angelfish could potentially nip at the LPS corals.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!
@evolved
@eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to saltwater and have a 60 gallon cube with a 15 gallon sump.I have lots of flow (2 Maxspect Gyre that are now turned down to 10% lol). This will be a reef tank with LPS and softies. I have 80 lbs of live rock and tons of marinepure in the sump. Will have my fuge going soon@ I could use some help with Wrasse compatability/ the order to introduce my fish to the aquarium. I currently have two black and white ocellaris clowns and a midas blenny. Do you think I can have the following fish as well and in what order if so?

Flameback angelfish, yellow prawn goby, royal gramma basslet, forktail blenny, mandarin Goby.
If the Mandarin is trained to eat pellets, can I also have a combination of the Halichoeres Melanurus Wrasse AND the Halichoeres claudia OR a red-lined wrasse to go along with all the fish listed above?

Since they are small, do you think I could add a green clown goby and yellow clown goby once my corals are established?

I am aware that the flameback angelfish could potentially nip at the LPS corals.

@evolved
@eatbreakfast
Even if you found a mandarin that ate pellets, which is HIGHLY unlikely, since most don't even accept frozen food, you still should not add those wrasses to a tank that size with a mandarin.

Mandarins need to eat almost constantly. So even if one eats pellets or frozen food they are still heavily reliant on a healthy pod population, which a Halichoeres will outcompete the mandarin.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to TJ's comments; any of those WILL outcompete the mandarin and lead to its demise.
If you skip the mandarin, I would only go for one of those Halichoeres, given the tank size.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@evolved
@eatbreakfast
I have a 65 gallon that has been up for 3 years. Currently I have a Melanurus thats been in for maybe 2 years, and a mandarin just for a month now. I think even that is pushing my luck. I feed heavily, so the wrasse is very well fed, but is still hunting frequently. The mandarin is hunting constantly. I am keeping a very close eye on it to ensure it's health as well. I've cultured pods in separate systems in the past and seeded the tank heavily while doing so. Even still it is not something I'm 100% confident with, but have the means and am ready to address any needs for more pods so I went for it. For a new tank such as that, I wouldn't recommend it at all, and would absolutely not put two of those wrasses in together, with our without a mandarin.

Also, two maxspects at 10% isn't that much flow at all. Why so low?

Michael Hagstette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you all so much for your input. Guess I'll have to pass on those wrasses until I get a larger tank in 5 years or so. It is a shame because I absolutely love the way they look. They are absolutely stunning fish. Do you think I can maybe put a male/female pair of Carpenters wrasse in this tank setup? Do they eat pods? Do yall have any other ideas of some really stunning fish that would fit well in this tank? @evolved @eatbreakfast

When the Gyre were set above that, it was just moving my sand around far too much for my liking and leaving big craters. Maybe I can try repositioning them and turning them up. I currently have them in a horizontal configuration so maybe I will try them vertically. I have them on the oceanic setting. I am assuming that as I add more and more corals and as they grow they will block some flow and I'll be able to turn the Gyre's up more and more over time. @sde1500

Thanks again for yalls help.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you all so much for your input. Guess I'll have to pass on those wrasses until I get a larger tank in 5 years or so. It is a shame because I absolutely love the way they look. They are absolutely stunning fish. Do you think I can maybe put a male/female pair of Carpenters wrasse in this tank setup? Do they eat pods? Do yall have any other ideas of some really stunning fish that would fit well in this tank? @evolved @eatbreakfast

When the Gyre were set above that, it was just moving my sand around far too much for my liking and leaving big craters. Maybe I can try repositioning them and turning them up. I currently have them in a horizontal configuration so maybe I will try them vertically. I have them on the oceanic setting. I am assuming that as I add more and more corals and as they grow they will block some flow and I'll be able to turn the Gyre's up more and more over time. @sde1500

Thanks again for yalls help.

Yea I’d def look to increase flow. It’s very important for a tank with corals. I currently hit up to 2k gph with power heads plus more from the return.

Carpenters would be good for the tank. I would love a couple but the Melanurus I got already harassed a fairy wrasse I had to it’s death.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I can maybe put a male/female pair of Carpenters wrasse in this tank setup? Do they eat pods?
I personally only like to recommend Paracheilinus in a tank of at least 3 feet in length. Some of the smallest Cirrhilabrus could also work, though. Regardless, do NOT do a pair - only single specimens.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 112 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.2%
Back