Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok people 40 gallon breeder dimensions - sixline wrasse and diadem dottyback. Will they be able to get along? Already have a coral beauty and YWG.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok people 40 gallon breeder dimensions - sixline wrasse and diadem dottyback. Will they be able to get along? Already have a coral beauty and YWG.
every fish is different. If it were my tank, and i wanted those fish, i'd go for it. Should be fine. Good luck!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I'm looking for help with stocking a 5g. I currently have a Hi Fin/Pistol pair in the tank so:
- Can I fit another fish? My passion is gobies so either a sandsifter or a perching type goby like the yellow coral goby (I think these are perching gobies... I always see pics of them on rocks).
- I also need a cleanup crew. I didn't go the normal route by starting with a cleanup crew so need ideas. I love the little brittle stars, are the considered CUC and can they fit in a 5g? I think they're mainly rock dwellers if I'm not mistaken so might need surface CUC for things like the cleaning the sand unless I get a sandsifting goby.
- Other ideas?

Thanks!!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I'm looking for help with stocking a 5g. I currently have a Hi Fin/Pistol pair in the tank so:
- Can I fit another fish? My passion is gobies so either a sandsifter or a perching type goby like the yellow coral goby (I think these are perching gobies... I always see pics of them on rocks).
- I also need a cleanup crew. I didn't go the normal route by starting with a cleanup crew so need ideas. I love the little brittle stars, are the considered CUC and can they fit in a 5g? I think they're mainly rock dwellers if I'm not mistaken so might need surface CUC for things like the cleaning the sand unless I get a sandsifting goby.
- Other ideas?

Thanks!!
Fish - no

CUC - no, brittle stars reach 1" in diamater - only thing you can fit that is not the "normal route" are maybe cowrie's

You cant fit anything else in that tank fish wise, but you can add a CUC as you know, and is this FOWLR or reef? If reef add some cool corals/anemones/sponges.

Good luck

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish - no

CUC - no, brittle stars reach 1" in diamater - only thing you can fit that is not the "normal route" are maybe cowrie's

You cant fit anything else in that tank fish wise, but you can add a CUC as you know, and is this FOWLR or reef? If reef add some cool corals/anemones/sponges.

Good luck
Thanks! I forgot to mention it's fish only at the moment other than the pistol shrimp that is paired with the Hi Fin goby. The plan is to eventually add coral but not until the tank matures.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I keep a ruby red dragonet in a 15 gallon?
I had one for a couple of months and then he started getting less active, until finally he disappeared. I've seeded it with pods before he came and I'm seeing tons of amphipods.
they don’t require a large amount of swimming space, but dragonets eat constantly throughout the day, so you would probably have to reseed the pod population once every 4 or so weeks

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planing on Getting a fiji cube 20 peninsula aio & 25lbs dry marco rock, 40lbs dry special grade aragonite sand a, a kessil A80 blue & hydor koraila nano 425 gph can I keep a randall shrimp/goby pair, a pair of Ocellaris clownfish a carpet or rettire anemone a Firefish and maybe a flaming prawn goby can I keep all of those in a 20 peninsula or will I need a bigger tank?
I would say no. Firefish and gobies don’t get along very well IME even in a 45 gallon and carpet anemones get absolutely massive, up to and over a foot in diameter. A fully grown anemone of almost any type would massively reduce habitable area for every non-clownfish tank mate, and the small species generally have a stronger sting than clownfish can handle. I would stick with a pair of clowns, the goby and pistol shrimp pair, and then instead of an anemone you could maybe look into a euphyllia coral (hammer coral/frogspawn/torch) or another less aggressive coral for the clowns, and then I would fill out the rest of the tank with some interesting invertebrates like a tuxedo urchin, a fighting conch, fire shrimp, etc. For the stocking list you put, I would say a 40 breeder would work.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you add them at the same time, you will probably have a better time.

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. Firefish and gobies don’t get along very well IME even in a 45 gallon and carpet anemones get absolutely massive, up to and over a foot in diameter. A fully grown anemone of almost any type would massively reduce habitable area for every non-clownfish tank mate, and the small species generally have a stronger sting than clownfish can handle. I would stick with a pair of clowns, the goby and pistol shrimp pair, and then instead of an anemone you could maybe look into a euphyllia coral (hammer coral/frogspawn/torch) or another less aggressive coral for the clowns, and then I would fill out the rest of the tank with some interesting invertebrates like a tuxedo urchin, a fighting conch, fire shrimp, etc. For the stocking list you put, I would say a 40 breeder would work.
So 2 Ocellaris clownfish
1 randall shrimp
1 randall goby
NO Firefish
NO flaming prawn goby?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 Ocellaris clownfish
1 randall shrimp
1 randall goby
NO Firefish
NO flaming prawn goby?
no firefish, however you can add the flaming prawn goby as well as a pygmy coral grocuher - check them out on live aquaria they are literally fluffy and cute ;Panda

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer XL 300, plan for corals in the future

CUC/inverts (my fiancée really doesn't like snails as they're too creepy, so I'm doing my best to make a snail-less CUC)
1. Mix of Blue and Red Leg Hermit Crabs
2. Emerald Crabs
3. Peppermint Shrimp
4. Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
5. Chalk Goby, Tiger Watchman Goby, or Brittle Star
6. Pistol Shrimp (only if a relevant Goby is picked)
7. Maybe a Tuxedo Urchin in the future.

Main fish in approx order of adding -
1. 2x Common Clownfish
2. One Spot Foxface
3. Royal Gramma
4. 2x Banggai Cardinal
5. Naoko's Fairy Wrasse or Six-Line Wrasse
6. Longnose Hawkfish (I know this might eat Shrimp, fiancée really wants it so insists that we're taking the gamble)
7. Purple Tang (fiancée also really wants, I know the tank is at the small end)

If we go with the Brittle star, we might get a Firefish Goby or Yellow Watchman Goby too. If we go with a Sand sifting goby, we might get a Harlequin Shrimp and/or a Feather Duster Worm as well.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer XL 300, plan for corals in the future

CUC/inverts (my fiancée really doesn't like snails as they're too creepy, so I'm doing my best to make a snail-less CUC)
1. Mix of Blue and Red Leg Hermit Crabs
2. Emerald Crabs
3. Peppermint Shrimp
4. Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
5. Chalk Goby, Tiger Watchman Goby, or Brittle Star
6. Pistol Shrimp (only if a relevant Goby is picked)
7. Maybe a Tuxedo Urchin in the future.

Main fish in approx order of adding -
1. 2x Common Clownfish
2. One Spot Foxface
3. Royal Gramma
4. 2x Banggai Cardinal
5. Naoko's Fairy Wrasse or Six-Line Wrasse
6. Longnose Hawkfish (I know this might eat Shrimp, fiancée really wants it so insists that we're taking the gamble)
7. Purple Tang (fiancée also really wants, I know the tank is at the small end)

If we go with the Brittle star, we might get a Firefish Goby or Yellow Watchman Goby too. If we go with a Sand sifting goby, we might get a Harlequin Shrimp and/or a Feather Duster Worm as well.
no foxface, no purple tang, and also if you get the longnose hawkifsh, beware, as it can eat smaller fish. Might i recommend a tomini tang? I have the same tank, its a great one, but sadly it just cant fit any tangs other than the tomini, as it is only 6 inches long

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible stocking list for Red Sea reefer 250 predator tank.
1 snowflake eel
1 volitan lion fish
1 Mombasa lion fish
1 Fu Manchu lion fish
1 blue spotted puffer
1 tile sea star
1 long spine urchin
Other CUC suggestions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible stocking list for Red Sea reefer 250 predator tank.
1 snowflake eel
1 volitan lion fish
1 Mombasa lion fish
1 Fu Manchu lion fish
1 blue spotted puffer
1 tile sea star
1 long spine urchin
Other CUC suggestions?

Only the fu and blue spot puffer would be ok for that size tank. Lions will not bother hard bodied inverts, but the puffer will, the sea star would be chomped as well as other cuc. The tank is really too small for a long spine urchin, I could easily see a fu getting injured. Even though some sites recommend a 55g for a snowflake eel, thats way too small, a mature snowflake is over 2' to 30". The mombasa needs at least a 75g while a volitan 180g.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the fu and blue spot puffer would be ok for that size tank. Lions will not bother hard bodied inverts, but the puffer will, the sea star would be chomped as well as other cuc. The tank is really too small for a long spine urchin, I could easily see a fu getting injured. Even though some sites recommend a 55g for a snowflake eel, thats way too small, a mature snowflake is over 2' to 30". The mombasa needs at least a 75g while a volitan 180g.
Alrighty! I looked on LiveAquaria and it stated at least a 55 gallon for the colored volitan but alrighty, as far as the puffer goes I would rather have some hard shell cuc. Do you think the fu, dwarf zebra, or an antennata would work together without the long spine urchin?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty! I looked on LiveAquaria and it stated at least a 55 gallon for the colored volitan but alrighty, as far as the puffer goes I would rather have some hard shell cuc. Do you think the fu, dwarf zebra, or an antennata would work together without the long spine urchin?
yeah, the colored volitans can be over a foot long

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back