Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't decide one yet, which ones would I have a problem with?
There are a lot of problematic ones. I would stay away from the cheilinus, thalassoma, pseudocheilinus, and coris genera. The cirrhilabrus, halichoeres, paracheilinus, and wetmorella genera have several good options that will get along with the other fish you listed, it just depends on the size of your tank.

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know anything about pike blennies? Found one for sale online at kp aquatics. Anyone have any experience keeping them?

Attachments

• Screenshots_2021-08-12-21-10-47.png
    Screenshots_2021-08-12-21-10-47.png
    952.7 KB · Views: 64

Fishface515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to come up with a stock list for a 150 I am taking from a friend. I know I want:
a pair of occ clowns
a BTA.
Royal Gramma
6 line wrasse

some sort of tang, be it yellow or blue hippo
some sort of dwarf angel, either flame or coral beauty

He has a pair of cardinals he is giving me, and a sand sifting goby

Any other suggestions?
It will be a mixed reef tank. I am looking for peaceful, and fairly reef safe. I know the wrasse is a gamble, but my last one was fine.

Thank in advance!
I want to preface this statement with every fish has its own personality but I would look into a flasher or fairy wrasse. Despite their small stature sixline wrasse can be very territorial I had one that would attack my 6 inch Niger trigger constantly in my old 150. The sixline also picked at my corals. I have had quite a few six line and they all have been kind of jerks in my 30 years of reefing.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to preface this statement with every fish has its own personality but I would look into a flasher or fairy wrasse. Despite their small stature sixline wrasse can be very territorial I had one that would attack my 6 inch Niger trigger constantly in my old 150. The sixline also picked at my corals. I have had quite a few six line and they all have been kind of jerks in my 30 years of reefing.
Pair of pajama or banggai cardinals?
Could also add yellow watchman goby, firefish.

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
I'd like to get another Tang, but I'm afraid my Powder Blue would make life hell for another one. I have a 110 gallon with plenty of live rock. The Powder Blue chased my Heniochus non-stop until I put a taarp over the tank so no light could get in four 24 hours. That seemed to do the trick. Any thought on 2 Tangs in a 110??

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 with 1 neon goby 1 hoevens wrasse 7 green chromis 2 clarkii clowns 1 fox face 1 yellow tang tank has been up now for 6 months I would like to add one more to the list . I like the flame angle. Is that to many fish or would one be ok.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 with 1 neon goby 1 hoevens wrasse 7 green chromis 2 clarkii clowns 1 fox face 1 yellow tang tank has been up now for 6 months I would like to add one more to the list . I like the flame angle. Is that to many fish or would one be ok.
Adding a flame angel would be fine.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to get another Tang, but I'm afraid my Powder Blue would make life hell for another one. I have a 110 gallon with plenty of live rock. The Powder Blue chased my Heniochus non-stop until I put a taarp over the tank so no light could get in four 24 hours. That seemed to do the trick. Any thought on 2 Tangs in a 110??
PBs can be pretty aggressive towards other tangs. He’s already shown aggression towards new additions so I wouldn’t try your luck at adding another tang in with him.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your nutrients are in check adding the angel should be ok. Keep in mind that they can nip at corals and you may need an acclimation box to mitigate any aggression.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your nutrients are in check adding the angel should be ok. Keep in mind that they can nip at corals and you may need an acclimation box to mitigate any aggression.
Thats what I thought. I had one be for and had no problems but I have alot more coral than I did.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I thought. I had one be for and had no problems but I have alot more coral than I did.
If you have a tank full of corals having a flame angel can be risky. Some flames ignore corals, some flames treat reef tanks like a buffet. Beautiful fish though.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please advise:
Tank is 139 total volume, 109 display
5x2x2 feet

CURRENTLY HAVE:
Clown x2
Anthias x3
Chromis x4
Royal gramma
Blue spotted jaw fish
Starry blenny
Melanrus wrasse
Banggai cardinal
Firefish
tailspot blenny
Mandarin
Leopard wrasse

Incoming from QT
Midas blenny
Azure damselfish
Copperband
Long nose hawkfish
Blue Hippo
Scopas tang

Too many?

Ritchie G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not started cycling my FOWLR tank yet, but wanted to get an idea of fish before I started anything. I have a 45 gal tank with Live Rock. Was thinking about adding these fish. Will there be any problems?

2 ClownFish
Neon Goby
Kauderns Cardinal
Midas Blenny
Carpenter Flasher Wrasse
Blue Green Chromis

also will have clean up crew
10 snails
1 cleaner shrimp
1 fighting conch
1 Emerald Crab
5 hermit Crabs

will I have any problems? Thank you in advance.

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have 2 ocellaris, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 firefish, 1 neon blue, 1 bicolor blenny and 1 yellow coral goby in cube tabk of 64 liters, 17 gallons?
If not, which one should I take off the list?

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from a 120 to a 220. I do have mixed corals, hermit crabs, a clam, emerald crabs, snails, sand sifting star, and a couple peppermint shrimp that will be transferred. My current fish that will be transferred are:
Yellow Tang
Foxface
Filefish
Lawnmower Blenny
Sand Sifting Goby
Blue-Green Chromis
2 Black and white Chromis
Black Photon Clownfish
2 Pajama Cardinals
Lubbock's Wrasse

I am looking to add maybe 4-6 more fish(depending on size) to the mix with at least 2 of them being utilitarian for tank cleaning. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have 2 ocellaris, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 firefish, 1 neon blue, 1 bicolor blenny and 1 yellow coral goby in cube tabk of 64 liters, 17 gallons?
If not, which one should I take off the list?
Way to many fish for 17 gallons.
2 clowns and 1 yellow coral goby is already pushing the limits of that tank. You would need to do weekly water changes.

dave1424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm about to set up my new Waterbox Cube 20. It's my first reef tank, so would love your advice on my stocking plans. The tank will be arriving in the next few weeks so I'll be able to get started pretty soon. I'm planning to take my time and slowly work up to a reasonably simple setup with some soft corals, basic LPS and three or four small fish.

In terms of fish, I'm thinking of stocking the tank with a pair of black and white ocellaris clownfish and a yellow clown goby. I'm a little worried about the clownfish picking on the goby, but is there much risk there? If you have any advice about which fish to introduce first to minimise the risk of aggression, would really appreciate it. At this stage, I was thinking of starting with the clowns, then adding the goby a little later. Has anyone had any issues with this pairing?

Looking forward to starting the journey!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm about to set up my new Waterbox Cube 20. It's my first reef tank, so would love your advice on my stocking plans. The tank will be arriving in the next few weeks so I'll be able to get started pretty soon. I'm planning to take my time and slowly work up to a reasonably simple setup with some soft corals, basic LPS and three or four small fish.

In terms of fish, I'm thinking of stocking the tank with a pair of black and white ocellaris clownfish and a yellow clown goby. I'm a little worried about the clownfish picking on the goby, but is there much risk there? If you have any advice about which fish to introduce first to minimise the risk of aggression, would really appreciate it. At this stage, I was thinking of starting with the clowns, then adding the goby a little later. Has anyone had any issues with this pairing?

Looking forward to starting the journey!
Congrats on getting your first reef tank! Your stocking plan is fine. Every clown goby I've had has been a shy eater when first introduced so I would add it first before the clowns just to make sure you can get it eating well. Good luck on your reefing journey!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back