Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

dave1424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting your first reef tank! Your stocking plan is fine. Every clown goby I've had has been a shy eater when first introduced so I would add it first before the clowns just to make sure you can get it eating well. Good luck on your reefing journey!
Thanks SaltyT! Appreciate it.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know anything about pike blennies? Found one for sale online at kp aquatics. Anyone have any experience keeping them?
you probably should post this as its own thread so more people will see it

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 150cm by 57cm aquarium, with a crushed coral sandbed; I wanted to add a couple off bottom dwelling fish - one that I'm considering is the yellow watchman goby.

My question is if I have more than one fish that sifts the sand in an aquarium of my size - will there be enough of a sandbed for them to both thrive; and if so - have u got any recommendations for the second fish? also it doesn't necessarily have to be one that sifts - just wanted something that will occupy the lower levels of the sandbed.

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 150cm by 57cm aquarium, with a crushed coral sandbed; I wanted to add a couple off bottom dwelling fish - one that I'm considering is the yellow watchman goby.

My question is if I have more than one fish that sifts the sand in an aquarium of my size - will there be enough of a sandbed for them to both thrive; and if so - have u got any recommendations for the second fish? also it doesn't necessarily have to be one that sifts - just wanted something that will occupy the lower levels of the sandbed.
FWIW, my YWG never sifts sand. At least I've never seen him do it. Pretty stationary too. Unless him and the shrimp are wandering around when I'm not looking.

Bigrig67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing help with a 45 gallon tank..
I need to add rocks for sure but I have 2 clowns, and a royal gramma basslet ..

what else would people suggest? I would love to have as many as possible..

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
Tank specifications
L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
Lighting will be cfl bulbs with atnic tubes
I will have a modified two part dosing system.
After the tank is properly cycled for 6 months i look to add the living stocks in the following order
1. Bubble tip anemone
2. After the bta is settled a pair of clown fish (1 male + 1 female)
3. Copper band butterfly
4. After the CBB is well adapted and eating 1 pair of Moorish idol
5. After few months a yellow tang
6. At the same time a powder blue tang
7. After few months a Achilles tang
8. And last addition will be emperor angel.
before buying each fish i will make sure i am buying a healthy specimen , observing its eating or not at the lfs.
Sounds like a plan but the Achilles Tang and Moorish Idol are very hard to keep and should only be kept by and expert. I wish you the best of luck

minerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new 92 gallon corner bow-front mixed with a good bit of rock and hiding places. I am hoping to have a mix of reef safe fish, inverts and corals. I have no idea which inverts and corals I will choose yet but I hope to have a variety. I plan to add 1 fish per month if there are no problems (with exception of adding both clowns together).

Clown (x2)
Firefish Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Reef Chromis
Orchid Dottyback
Flame Angelfish
Black Nox Angelfish
Bicolor Angelfish
Yellow Tang

My questions are:
1. Is this stocking order, the best order?
2. Is adding all of these dwarf angels a terrible idea? I really love the way these guys look. Any way to make this stock work with corals? Any of these dwarf angels particularly a red flag for corals?
3. Appropriate amount of fish for a 92gal? (probably 90 gallons total water volume once you count sump and total water displacement from rock) - Idea is to have these fish, a handful of inverts and a variety of corals.
4. Should I not do the yellow tang? Its my favorite reef fish, so I am hoping it will work, but I know this tank is on the small side for this fish.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tedelt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!
Some tangs are to big for a 75g but all tangs are reef safe. You just have to make sure that it does not grow over 9in and I would say you are good.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new 92 gallon corner bow-front mixed with a good bit of rock and hiding places. I am hoping to have a mix of reef safe fish, inverts and corals. I have no idea which inverts and corals I will choose yet but I hope to have a variety. I plan to add 1 fish per month if there are no problems (with exception of adding both clowns together).

Clown (x2)
Firefish Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Reef Chromis
Orchid Dottyback
Flame Angelfish
Black Nox Angelfish
Bicolor Angelfish
Yellow Tang

My questions are:
1. Is this stocking order, the best order?
2. Is adding all of these dwarf angels a terrible idea? I really love the way these guys look. Any way to make this stock work with corals? Any of these dwarf angels particularly a red flag for corals?
3. Appropriate amount of fish for a 92gal? (probably 90 gallons total water volume once you count sump and total water displacement from rock) - Idea is to have these fish, a handful of inverts and a variety of corals.
4. Should I not do the yellow tang? Its my favorite reef fish, so I am hoping it will work, but I know this tank is on the small side for this fish.

Thanks!
No dwarf angel is coral safe, but some are more likely to pick at corals than others. The Bicolor and Black Nox are more likely to pick at corals especially LPS and softies. Flames are hit or miss with corals.

The Bicolor tends to be aggressive towards other angels, the Flame is middle-of-the-road, and the Black Nox is usually mild. If you decide to go the dwarf angel route, either just get one or add the angels that you choose simultaneously to help reduce aggression.

I'm not familiar with the dimensions of your corner tank so it's your call on if you feel that there's adequate swimming space for a yellow tang.

Firefish are easily intimidated so the dottyback could pose a problem. Just pick one of these.

The rest of your list looks good!

minerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dwarf angel is coral safe, but some are more likely to pick at corals than others. The Bicolor and Black Nox are more likely to pick at corals especially LPS and softies. Flames are hit or miss with corals.

The Bicolor tends to be aggressive towards other angels, the Flame is middle-of-the-road, and the Black Nox is usually mild. If you decide to go the dwarf angel route, either just get one or add the angels that you choose simultaneously to help reduce aggression.

I'm not familiar with the dimensions of your corner tank so it's your call on if you feel that there's adequate swimming space for a yellow tang.

Firefish are easily intimidated so the dottyback could pose a problem. Just pick one of these.

The rest of your list looks good!

Thanks so much, this is helpful. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations on better options than the dottyback, the nox and bicolor angelfish that will fit my tank requirements? My goal is to get a beautiful variety of coloration and shapes. I love the bright purple of the dottyback. I like the bi-coloration of the bicolor angelfish. I also want to ensure I have a few fish that get to be a little larger at adulthood (~5").

As far as the tang goes, my tank dimension are 2-10" sides, 2' depth and rounded front. I have nothing in the top, so that area is free... My thinking is an adult tang would be fine, but I know its close.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much, this is helpful. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations on better options than the dottyback, the nox and bicolor angelfish that will fit my tank requirements? My goal is to get a beautiful variety of coloration and shapes. I love the bright purple of the dottyback. I like the bi-coloration of the bicolor angelfish. I also want to ensure I have a few fish that get to be a little larger at adulthood (~5").

As far as the tang goes, my tank dimension are 2-10" sides, 2' depth and rounded front. I have nothing in the top, so that area is free... My thinking is an adult tang would be fine, but I know its close.
A black-cap basslet is bright purple like the dottyback and would be a better fit with a firefish.

Do you have a lid on your tank? If so, have you considered fairy wrasses? They're reef safe, colorful, very active, and some can get to be 5".

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green clown gobies and flasher wrasses are very interesting fish as well

Last edited:

minerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I did consider the black-cap and for some reason thought the dotty would be better. Anyhow, I've swapped those as suggested. Thank you! Also subtracted the nox and inserted the fairy wrasse. I am seeing a lot of people saying they've had success with the pygmy angelfish and corals. So, I'm going to add the pygmy in place of the bicolor. And, the green clown gobie seems very interested. It is small and peaceful, so why not? :)

Updated list and stocking order:

Clown (x2)
Green Clown Goby
Firefish Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Reef Chromis
Fairy Wrasse
Black-Cap Basslet
Flame Angelfish (Add Angels together)
Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Add Angels together)
Yellow Tang

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I have a 60 gal mixed reef tank with the following:

ORA Blood-Orange Misbar Clownfish × 2
Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone × 1
Royal Gramma × 1
Tailspot Blenny × 1
Banggai Cardinal × 3
Firefish Red/Regular × 1
Yellow Watchman Goby × 1

I have an Exquisite Wrasse and a Green Mandarin pending to ship out to me as we speak. However, I was thinking of also adding a Midas Blenny and/or a Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse. I was wondering if those two additions (in addition to the two already coming soon) would pose a problem.

TIA for your feedback!

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone in circles with this build, ended up with my original plan of bta’s but I’m really debating on simplifying my fish stocking. Finding out quickly 6 fish is too much for a 30 gallon. I’ve been debating since I started this tank on a pair of blood orange clownfish.

Anyone have any advice on what would be my simplest bet? Main focus is the rbta, no corals, hoping to fill the rocks in once the rbta splits. Really want clowns that will host and I doubt my current ocellaris pair would be enough of a bioload. I’m leaning towards just a pair of blood orange clowns, giving them the whole tank. Might be a very small bioload until they get close to full size so not sure if I will have an issue keeping nutrients in the tank.

current stock that I will have to catch a rehome
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 banggai cardinals
Orchid dottyback
Yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp

tank is so dull and boring now, was way more interesting when I started with the clowns and they explored every inch of the tank. They just hide in the back corner now, might be clowns being clowns but have noticed the goby going after the other fish. I’ve got a sorta build thread but it’s so unorganized it’s hard to follow, been going in circles on this tank

50B8EE8F-4851-4126-A73B-EBE3D46CA73E.jpeg

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely think my safe bet is to give them the tank to themselves. If anyone with experience with them think it will be a problem please let me know. I think it will be fine from the bit of information I have found on them. Hardest part will be catching the fish in the tank.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I have a 60 gal mixed reef tank with the following:

ORA Blood-Orange Misbar Clownfish × 2
Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone × 1
Royal Gramma × 1
Tailspot Blenny × 1
Banggai Cardinal × 3
Firefish Red/Regular × 1
Yellow Watchman Goby × 1

I have an Exquisite Wrasse and a Green Mandarin pending to ship out to me as we speak. However, I was thinking of also adding a Midas Blenny and/or a Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse. I was wondering if those two additions (in addition to the two already coming soon) would pose a problem.

TIA for your feedback!
Get the pintail if you’re ok with reseeding the tank with pods every few months or so. Mandarins eat a tremendous amount of pods in a day and the wrasses will also be hunting for them throughout the day. A midas blenny would probably be fine. The tailspot might be grumpy for a while, but ime the tank is big enough to host them both. I’d just say probably use an acclimation box for that one.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone in circles with this build, ended up with my original plan of bta’s but I’m really debating on simplifying my fish stocking. Finding out quickly 6 fish is too much for a 30 gallon. I’ve been debating since I started this tank on a pair of blood orange clownfish.

Anyone have any advice on what would be my simplest bet? Main focus is the rbta, no corals, hoping to fill the rocks in once the rbta splits. Really want clowns that will host and I doubt my current ocellaris pair would be enough of a bioload. I’m leaning towards just a pair of blood orange clowns, giving them the whole tank. Might be a very small bioload until they get close to full size so not sure if I will have an issue keeping nutrients in the tank.

2 ocellaris clownfish
2 banggai cardinals
Orchid dottyback

tank is so dull and boring now, was way more interesting when I started with the clowns and they explored every inch of the tank. They just hide in the back corner now, might be clowns being clowns but have noticed the goby going after the other fish. I’ve got a sorta build thread but it’s so unorganized it’s hard to follow, been going in circles on this tank

Giving the pair the tank to themselves is probably a good idea. As far as nutrients are concerned, if you notice any issues relating to it, you can always just increase the amount of food by a little bit at a time.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 ocellaris clownfish
2 banggai cardinals
Orchid dottyback

The watchmen goby goes after your clowns? I would expect it to only be defensive off a small area.

Back