Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so with the 2 diamond watchmen gobies, then a few fires and maybe one or 2 cardinals? looking through the list of local species, i find the Ringtail Cardinal quite attractive, but not much specific info on them
What do you mean by a few fires? Firefish?

Attachments

• IMG_2683.jpeg
    IMG_2683.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 32

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes firefish. sorry shouldve made that clearer. any experience with longfins? they are apparently common and look pretty interesting
I asked because firefish don’t usually get along with each other. I’d stick with one.

jaws222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked because firefish don’t usually get along with each other. I’d stick with one.
Do they not? how about a pair? and as someone whos always have a softspot for predators, a round scorpionfish maybe? they are too small even as adults to worry about them eating anything else

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they not? how about a pair? and as someone whos always have a softspot for predators, a round scorpionfish maybe? they are too small even as adults to worry about them eating anything else
If you can get a male female pair it will work but they are impossible to sex. As for the scorpionfish I love the choice but you may need to feed it live. At least to start with.

jaws222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I will tentatively add the scorp to the catch list. so thats looking like 2 diamond gobies, either the scorp or the firefish and then maybe a pair sebae clowns since apparently fish that swim around is a requirement. Id also like to try a crimsontip longfin, but ive heard they might not get along with my snails and crabs

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I will tentatively add the scorp to the catch list. so thats looking like 2 diamond gobies, either the scorp or the firefish and then maybe a pair sebae clowns since apparently fish that swim around is a requirement. Id also like to try a crimsontip longfin, but ive heard they might not get along with my snails and crabs
Never heard of the longfin but seems a cool fish!

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a black - bar soldierfish do good in an 80 gallon general purpose reef tank? I have good hideyholes for them to hide in during the day(engineer goby my beloved), but I'm unsure if they will outgrow it. I really like soldierfishes and they're about as close as I can get to a gnomefish, so I hope it'll work out long term.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a black - bar soldierfish do good in an 80 gallon general purpose reef tank? I have good hideyholes for them to hide in during the day(engineer goby my beloved), but I'm unsure if they will outgrow it. I really like soldierfishes and they're about as close as I can get to a gnomefish, so I hope it'll work out long term.
Yeah
They are fairly sedentary fish

predatorFishie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Looking for possible new predator fish for our tank at work.
Current residents:
Sailfin Tang
Rabbit fish
Chocolate Tang
Foxface tang
Magnificent Foxface
Lionfish
Engineer Goby
Blueline Grouper (he is rather small still)

We have tried an angel fish and a harlequin tusk, these two both died (pretty sure they were attacked) within a week.
I've noticed the Sailfin and the Fox face seem to be the "leaders...??".
Any recommendations are appreciated :)

Just keep swimming

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Looking for possible new predator fish for our tank at work.
Current residents:
Sailfin Tang
Rabbit fish
Chocolate Tang
Foxface tang
Magnificent Foxface
Lionfish
Engineer Goby
Blueline Grouper (he is rather small still)

We have tried an angel fish and a harlequin tusk, these two both died (pretty sure they were attacked) within a week.
I've noticed the Sailfin and the Fox face seem to be the "leaders...??".
Any recommendations are appreciated :)

Just keep swimming
Oooh exciting but I'll need some details.
Tank size? Sand? Are you prepared to feed live?

Hoisted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've setup a WaterBox Infinia Frag 48x26x16 85gallon with a 40 gallon sump, recently upgraded from a standard 55 gallon. I have a 3" Green Spotted Puffer and am ready to add a bunch of fish to my tank. My media came from my old tank and I have new rock and cleaned sand from my old tank. Ready to dose Dr Tims and monitor ammonia if any after getting all my fish QT'd by Dr Reef.

List of fish I want to add.

1 bonded pair of black ice clowns
2 banggai Cardinals
1 Whitetail Bristletooth tang
1 Leopard Wrasse Blue Star Female
1 Royal Gramma
1 Captive Bred Blue Green Mandarin eating frozen food (I also have pods in the tank and have cultures on the side)

If I'm overstocked Id either get rid of the Cardinals or wrasse. Other than that how does it look can I keep all of these fish happily in a 48x26x16? Do you think I should keep only the wrasse or mandarin since they both eat pods?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've setup a WaterBox Infinia Frag 48x26x16 85gallon with a 40 gallon sump, recently upgraded from a standard 55 gallon. I have a 3" Green Spotted Puffer and am ready to add a bunch of fish to my tank. My media came from my old tank and I have new rock and cleaned sand from my old tank. Ready to dose Dr Tims and monitor ammonia if any after getting all my fish QT'd by Dr Reef.

List of fish I want to add.

1 bonded pair of black ice clowns
2 banggai Cardinals
1 Whitetail Bristletooth tang
1 Leopard Wrasse Blue Star Female
1 Royal Gramma
1 Captive Bred Blue Green Mandarin eating frozen food (I also have pods in the tank and have cultures on the side)

If I'm overstocked Id either get rid of the Cardinals or wrasse. Other than that how does it look can I keep all of these fish happily in a 48x26x16? Do you think I should keep only the wrasse or mandarin since they both eat pods?
I would add the tang last but I see no issues otherwise. I several wrasse and a pair of mandarins in a similar sized tank. Having a Refugium and occasionally adding phytoplankton can help keep the copepod numbers high. Definitely don’t think your overstocked either.

Hoisted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the tang last but I see no issues otherwise. I several wrasse and a pair of mandarins in a similar sized tank. Having a Refugium and occasionally adding phytoplankton can help keep the copepod numbers high. Definitely don’t think your overstocked either.
Thank you for the quick reply. I do have a refugium, albeit small roughly one cup of chaeto but somewhere for the pods to reproduce. I am dosing pods everytime my pod culture phyto goes green to clear in one day. I also am culturing nanno and dose that for the pods as well.

I'm relieved to hear that it's not overstocked it's hard to imagine how they will look inside the tank. I feel like everytime I get a tank it too small.

shiver905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I picked up a couple new fish for my tank currently going through qt. Rethinking adding a couple of them.

Details
140g tank. A few corals but corals are not my main focus.

Midas blenny
Bicolour blenny
Flame hawk
2 clowns
Melanarus wrasse
Purple tang
Powder blue tank
Tomini tang
2 blood shirmps

To be added from qt- thoughts

Copperband. I have always wanted one, finally found one that is eating well. Will be cautiously added via a week in a critter box and mirrors to distract the tangs.

Stary blenny - concerned about the other two blennies I have.

Golden head sleeper goby -

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I picked up a couple new fish for my tank currently going through qt. Rethinking adding a couple of them.

Details
140g tank. A few corals but corals are not my main focus.

Midas blenny
Bicolour blenny
Flame hawk
2 clowns
Melanarus wrasse
Purple tang
Powder blue tank
Tomini tang
2 blood shirmps

To be added from qt- thoughts

Copperband. I have always wanted one, finally found one that is eating well. Will be cautiously added via a week in a critter box and mirrors to distract the tangs.

Stary blenny - concerned about the other two blennies I have.

Golden head sleeper goby -
Copperband competing with a tang gang may not work out. They are often too cowardly at the best of times.

Starry blenny is a very different type of blenny. Should do fine.

The goby will need a good pod population and some dirty sand to do well long term but again should do fine. Sinking pellets help.

predatorFishie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh exciting but I'll need some details.
Tank size? Sand? Are you prepared to feed live?
Hi!!!
I'm not 100% sure the size of the tank but yes we have sand.
Here's a couple pics for reference.

Its easier if we do Frozen/dry food only because we do not have a place to store live food.

Again any recommendations would be awesome.
I know my boss is looking to incorporate more color.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!!!
I'm not 100% sure the size of the tank but yes we have sand.
Here's a couple pics for reference.

Its easier if we do Frozen/dry food only because we do not have a place to store live food.
So there a lot of predators. Seems to me you need something that will not be killed by your tang gang. I'd guess thats a 8ftx3ftx2ft?? So you've got a lot of space to play with. Here's my suggestions:

Eels: They need a good lid so if that is not possible then skip this. With an engineer goby you don't want to get a giant but any below 3ft would probably be safe.
  • Fimbraited/yellow head moray
  • snowflake moray
  • White eyed moray
  • Zebra moray (big but very peaceful. Would be good if you want something impressively big)
  • Banana moray
There are many more but these are more common.

Other Predators:
  • Another lionfish: There are many species and so long as its a similiar size you should be good.
  • Searobin: similiar sized and not as flamboyant I find these guys super cute. I suggest the big head searobin
  • Pufferfish: can be nippy but have great character. Dog faced or porcupine would be best I think.
  • Triggerfish: Can be aggressive but also have lots of personality.
  • Frogfish: Have special needs but cool fish
  • Predatory wrasse:
    • My dragon wrasse is my favorite fish
    • A banana wrasse or similiar Thalassoma
    • A true coris wrasse like a red or a formosa
    • bird wrasse
  • Another grouper: PAnthers are really popular but massive.

predatorFishie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there a lot of predators. Seems to me you need something that will not be killed by your tang gang. I'd guess thats a 8ftx3ftx2ft?? So you've got a lot of space to play with. Here's my suggestions:

Eels: They need a good lid so if that is not possible then skip this. With an engineer goby you don't want to get a giant but any below 3ft would probably be safe.
  • Fimbraited/yellow head moray
  • snowflake moray
  • White eyed moray
  • Zebra moray (big but very peaceful. Would be good if you want something impressively big)
  • Banana moray
There are many more but these are more common.

Other Predators:
  • Another lionfish: There are many species and so long as its a similiar size you should be good.
  • Searobin: similiar sized and not as flamboyant I find these guys super cute. I suggest the big head searobin
  • Pufferfish: can be nippy but have great character. Dog faced or porcupine would be best I think.
  • Triggerfish: Can be aggressive but also have lots of personality.
  • Frogfish: Have special needs but cool fish
  • Predatory wrasse:
    • My dragon wrasse is my favorite fish
    • A banana wrasse or similiar Thalassoma
    • A true coris wrasse like a red or a formosa
    • bird wrasse
  • Another grouper: PAnthers are really popular but massive.
Thank you so much for you suggestions. I know we've been wanting an eel but unfortunately we don't have the lid for it.
(insert SUPER sad face here).

I will most definitely suggest these to my boss and see what he thinks :)
The Wrasse's i've seen are suuuuuper cool looking. I think he'd prolly be super interested in those.

I know our tank cleaner/fish guy says we prolly wouldnt want to invest in coral due to some of them being eaten...??
not sure if this is actually a thing or not, I am very new to the fish life lol

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back