Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for you suggestions. I know we've been wanting an eel but unfortunately we don't have the lid for it.
(insert SUPER sad face here).

I will most definitely suggest these to my boss and see what he thinks :)
The Wrasse's i've seen are suuuuuper cool looking. I think he'd prolly be super interested in those.

I know our tank cleaner/fish guy says we prolly wouldnt want to invest in coral due to some of them being eaten...??
not sure if this is actually a thing or not, I am very new to the fish life lol
None of your current fish nor the ones I suggested are coral eaters. Your tank would be fine with corals. Corals are more difficult and need good water quality.

However if you’re not going to get corals you should look into getting a couple large angelfish. They are beautiful fish but often eat corals. Butterfly fish are similar but even more likely to eat corals.

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm setting up a saltwater tank for the first time (I've been keeping freshwater fish for years however). My tank is is 20 gallons large. I really want a pair of occelaris clownfish, and so I'm trying to decide what tankmates they can have.

I'm considering gobies, small wrasse, blennies, and firefish. I'd really like a fish that eats algae and I've heard some blennies are good for that. I also want one fish to be more of a sand dweller. If I can have firefish, as well, that would be ideal.

So I'm thinking:
2 clownfish
1 firefish
1 goby
1 blenny

This would be ideal but also seems like it might be a lot, especially for my first saltwater tank. If it is indeed too much, what do I drop?

I also haven't cycled the tank yet, but I'm using live rock and sand - which would be the best fish to add first?

Thank you for any suggestions and help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm setting up a saltwater tank for the first time (I've been keeping freshwater fish for years however). My tank is is 20 gallons large. I really want a pair of occelaris clownfish, and so I'm trying to decide what tankmates they can have.

I'm considering gobies, small wrasse, blennies, and firefish. I'd really like a fish that eats algae and I've heard some blennies are good for that. I also want one fish to be more of a sand dweller. If I can have firefish, as well, that would be ideal.

So I'm thinking:
2 clownfish
1 firefish
1 goby
1 blenny

This would be ideal but also seems like it might be a lot, especially for my first saltwater tank. If it is indeed too much, what do I drop?

I also haven't cycled the tank yet, but I'm using live rock and sand - which would be the best fish to add first?

Thank you for any suggestions and help!
It’s gonna be a tight fit. Adding more rock can add more hiding spots for fish.
I’d add the clowns last. The firefish first (and make sure you have a good lid with a firefish). The other two should be fairly peaceful. I suggest a starry or lawnmower blenny as they’re the best algae eaters. For a goby an orange spot, yasha, yellow, etc. not a diamond. Consider getting a pistol shrimp to pair aswell. I also suggest a skunk cleaner shrimp.

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gonna be a tight fit. Adding more rock can add more hiding spots for fish.
I’d add the clowns last. The firefish first (and make sure you have a good lid with a firefish). The other two should be fairly peaceful. I suggest a starry or lawnmower blenny as they’re the best algae eaters. For a goby an orange spot, yasha, yellow, etc. not a diamond. Consider getting a pistol shrimp to pair aswell. I also suggest a skunk cleaner shrimp.
Thank you for your response! If I were to drop one from the lineup, which one would you recommend?

I don't know how much of an issue algae will be, do the shrimp also clean it up well? In which case I could drop the blenny.

For the yellow goby - do you mean a yellow clown or a yellow watchman goby? I think both are beautiful.

I could also drop the clownfish to just one.

Thanks again!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response! If I were to drop one from the lineup, which one would you recommend?

I don't know how much of an issue algae will be, do the shrimp also clean it up well? In which case I could drop the blenny.

For the yellow goby - do you mean a yellow clown or a yellow watchman goby? I think both are beautiful.

I could also drop the clownfish to just one.

Thanks again!
I find small hermits and snails do a better job than blennies so that’s what I’d drop. The cleaner shrimp is just a fun addition. It might clean your fish but otherwise it’s a just a cool interactive critter. A fire shrimp is similar but a lot shyer.

Oh and both gobies would work. There’s an issue with some gobies that only eat food in the sand and they don’t do well. The diamond is the most common of those. Clown gobies and yellow watchman both are not and are easy.

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I see.

If I'm using live rock and sand, could I add the firefish within just a few days to help the cycle progress, or wait longer for it to be safe?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I see.

If I'm using live rock and sand, could I add the firefish within just a few days to help the cycle progress, or wait longer for it to be safe?
Yes but I’d test for ammonia every day for a week or so.

getreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a 20g aio that i plan to set up over the next year here.

i'm wondering if my plan will work in terms of compatibility and stocking limits.

stock plan:
1x firefish
1x watchman goby
1x candy cane pistol shrimp
1x skunk cleaner shrimp
1x sexy shrimp

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a 20g aio that i plan to set up over the next year here.

i'm wondering if my plan will work in terms of compatibility and stocking limits.

stock plan:
1x firefish
1x watchman goby
1x candy cane pistol shrimp
1x skunk cleaner shrimp
1x sexy shrimp
Yes that should work great! No issues. Though you may want to research which gobies usually go with that pistol shrimp.

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about purchasing a used Coralife BioCube. I’m not sure if I’d rather have the 16g or the 32g as both are available on my local marketplace that are good deals. Obviously a 32g would allow the options of more fish, but a 16g is going to cost less to fill in with corals! I’m choosing to go basic and just get a pair of either Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish and maybe 1-2 other fish depending on the tank size as I want my softies, mushrooms, and LPS to be the spotlight of the tank (they are such a great deal that I can easily do all the upgrades I might need). My deciding factor though is going to come down to whether or not a Yellowhead Jawfish would be suitable for the 32g biocube once established. I have only ever done sw in long tanks, never a cube. Any advise or other stocking suggestions would be appreciated!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about purchasing a used Coralife BioCube. I’m not sure if I’d rather have the 16g or the 32g as both are available on my local marketplace that are good deals. Obviously a 32g would allow the options of more fish, but a 16g is going to cost less to fill in with corals! I’m choosing to go basic and just get a pair of either Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish and maybe 1-2 other fish depending on the tank size as I want my softies, mushrooms, and LPS to be the spotlight of the tank (they are such a great deal that I can easily do all the upgrades I might need). My deciding factor though is going to come down to whether or not a Yellowhead Jawfish would be suitable for the 32g biocube once established. I have only ever done sw in long tanks, never a cube. Any advise or other stocking suggestions would be appreciated!
The thing about a jawfish is they like to have a big burrow. Give it a ton of sand it will be happier but that takes up a lot of your little tank. You can make it from PVC but that may not look pretty to you. If you don’t do that it may just constantly dig and upset your corals by covering them regularly.

My suggestion would be a goby that doesn’t do much digging. Like a clown, neon, yasha, vampire, yellow etc. Avoid the sand sifting gobies.

If you go with the 32 then a basslet or a possum wrasse would be available. In a 16 though 3 fish is about the max unless you add tiny fish.

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 190.5 Mixed reef tank 60"x25"x22"

Stocking List

Clownfish
Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Dispar Anthia (male)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Blue/Green Mandarin
Maxima clam
white tail bristletooth tang
Convict tang
Purple tang

Would like to change out the yellow corris and get black leopard wrasse and I Would like to have a yellow tang but am told my tank has too much stock in it already...

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 190.5 Mixed reef tank 60"x25"x22"

Stocking List

Clownfish
Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Dispar Anthia (male)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Blue/Green Mandarin
Maxima clam
white tail bristletooth tang
Convict tang
Purple tang

Would like to change out the yellow corris and get black leopard wrasse and I Would like to have a yellow tang but am told my tank has too much stock in it already...
So there is no reason you can’t have multiple wrasse. I have 10 in a 110 gallon and a yellow wrasse and leopard will get along fine. The issue is the tangs. Leopards can be very shy and tangs are mean.

As for the yellow tang it will probably not get along with the purple. You will need an acclimation box to make it work.

As for stocking my belief is it depends on aggression and nutrients. If you have too much of either you have too many fish. I have heavily stocked tanks but also don’t mess around with tangs who add a lot to both of those worries.

Fish I would suggest:
  • A species of Genicanthus angelfish (reef safe)
  • Large halichoeres wrasse like a dusky.
  • A tough fairy wrasse like a Scott’s fairy
  • Maybe a foxface

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is no reason you can’t have multiple wrasse. I have 10 in a 110 gallon and a yellow wrasse and leopard will get along fine. The issue is the tangs. Leopards can be very shy and tangs are mean.

As for the yellow tang it will probably not get along with the purple. You will need an acclimation box to make it work.

As for stocking my belief is it depends on aggression and nutrients. If you have too much of either you have too many fish. I have heavily stocked tanks but also don’t mess around with tangs who add a lot to both of those worries.

Fish I would suggest:
  • A species of Genicanthus angelfish (reef safe)
  • Large halichoeres wrasse like a dusky.
  • A tough fairy wrasse like a Scott’s fairy
  • Maybe a foxface
In your opinion do you think the purple and convict are just too big for my tank? I do really like the purple and my wife likes convict haha. But she doesnt care to loose the convict as much as I like the purple

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion do you think the purple and convict are just too big for my tank? I do really like the purple and my wife likes convict haha. But she doesnt care to loose the convict as much as I like the purple
I wouldn’t say they’re too big just that they limit what else you can buy. Tangs as you surely know are a big presence in a tank. I prefer more smaller fish so go with wrasse and anthias dominant tanks.

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say they’re too big just that they limit what else you can buy. Tangs as you surely know are a big presence in a tank. I prefer more smaller fish so go with wrasse and anthias dominant tanks.
Thanks for not bashing me about it. Im still researching. Im working on my Scape as we speak so tank isnt even wet just yet.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for not bashing me about it. Im still researching. Im working on my Scape as we speak so tank isnt even wet just yet.
Oh
If you add the leopard wrasse before the tangs you will have a pretty good chance of success. I thought you already had all those fish.

getreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that should work great! No issues. Though you may want to research which gobies usually go with that pistol shrimp.
would adding a single oscellaris to this be possible without overstocking and running into serious territory issues?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The order I want to add is the way the list is ordered above. I do have the clowns in my 32 Gal AIO at the moment
Well then I’d add the leopard as one of the first fish. Choose either the purple or the yellow tang. Maybe reconsider the convict tang.
Then consider:
  • Foxface which are like tangs but very peaceful
  • Dwarf angel (may eat coral)
  • Genicanthus angel
  • Fairy or flasher wrasse
  • Midas blenny
  • Tilefish

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back