Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Okie54321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against a flame angel for a 20g. Perhaps a flame hawk or a royal gramma instead.

I would also shy away from a school of chromis in a 20g. Maybe try a springeri or azure damsel instead.

Clean up crew really varies from tank to tank, but nassarius snails are very effective scavengers.

Easy corals would include zoas, mushrooms, green star poltps, and leathers.
Thanks for the info, what if I had a royal gramma and 2 snowflake clowns? Would they work together?

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... are there any good large fish for my tank? Maybe a dwarf angel, coral beauty, something like that? Sixline wrasse? Would a dwarf fuzzy lionfish work? (not joking, PS how hard are they to care for?)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... are there any good large fish for my tank? Maybe a dwarf angel, coral beauty, something like that? Sixline wrasse? Would a dwarf fuzzy lionfish work? (not joking, PS how hard are they to care for?)
Sixline wrasses get pretty mean. All the others get too large.

Largish fish for a 20g would include a flame or longnose hawkfish, algae ir starry blenny, maybe a melatremus eel...

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that stock I would only do one. If the damsels were the only ones in the tank, maybe 4.

The lineatus gets a little large for a 60g. And resplendent anthias do better in a group.

How many in a group?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that stock I would only do one. If the damsels were the only ones in the tank, maybe 4.

The lineatus gets a little large for a 60g. And resplendent anthias do better in a group.

That's the first time I've heard the wrasse might be too big for my tank. Have another peaceful fish I can add?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses don't bury in sand, they sleep in a mucus cocoon in the rocks. (Cool note, the cocoon apparently helps protect them from things like ich and velvet! They're a long way from immune, though . . . )

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read the size difference between the two wrasses is a half an inch.
Yes, the rhomboid is listed as 4.5" and lineatus as 5", but lineatus get a little larger than 5" and the tail of rhomboids is longer, so they have less body mass and require less space than a lineatus.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the rhomboid is listed as 4.5" and lineatus as 5", but lineatus get a little larger than 5" and the tail of rhomboids is longer, so they have less body mass and require less space than a lineatus.

Wow you do know your fish!! Thanks.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream list. Any problems seen here?
Lineatus wrasse
Gold assessor
Flame hawk
Helfrichi firefish
Ocellaris clown
Resplendent anthias
Yellow clown goby

Tank size 60 with another 10 gallon sump.

So if I have three anthias I'm guessing I'll need to remove at least one from my list?

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to pick your brains a bit. I've looked at forum recommendations for sand sifting gobies, but I want to make sure any fish we add to our finned family can be sustained in our tank. When we had our first tank in 2005, we added a bullet goby, but there was not the microfauna in the sandbed to sustain him, and he starved due to our ignorance. Obviously, as we have grown as reefers, that mistake is not one we want to repeat.

We are considering the orange diamond watchman goby (Valenciennea puellaris) or the sleeper banded (bullet) goby (Amblygobius phalaena). Our current tank is a 125 gallon reef with 1 1/2 inch sand bed and has been up and running for nearly 4 years. We assume the microfauna population will be self-sustaining at this point and a sand sifting fish would do well, BUT to ensure this, I am curious if you have any knowledge about which of our top choices is also more apt to begin to eat prepared frozen foods. We would like to begin to "train" the fish to eat prepared foods while in QT. We do not have a refugium with our current set up, due to space allowances.

Additionally, are either of these less likely to create sandstorms with its sifting; not swimming as high into the water column while sifting? It was a long time ago, but we don't remember the bullet goby making our tank cloudy. (Could be faulty memories, of course!) The only corals we have on the sand bed are a frogspawn and a gorgonian.

Current other fish tank mates include a male blue throat trigger, a cherub angel, 2 clowns, a purple firefish, and a royal gramma. (We stock lightly because we have to move every 3 years and don't want to get too attached to our fish!)

Thank you in advance for any input you can provide! :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I have three anthias I'm guessing I'll need to remove at least one from my list?
Not necessarily. The fish on your list are all peaceful and most are pretty small. As long as you can maintain water quality you should be fine. Just test your water frequently and add fish slowly.

I hope to pick your brains a bit. I've looked at forum recommendations for sand sifting gobies, but I want to make sure any fish we add to our finned family can be sustained in our tank. When we had our first tank in 2005, we added a bullet goby, but there was not the microfauna in the sandbed to sustain him, and he starved due to our ignorance. Obviously, as we have grown as reefers, that mistake is not one we want to repeat.

We are considering the orange diamond watchman goby (Valenciennea puellaris) or the sleeper banded (bullet) goby (Amblygobius phalaena). Our current tank is a 125 gallon reef with 1 1/2 inch sand bed and has been up and running for nearly 4 years. We assume the microfauna population will be self-sustaining at this point and a sand sifting fish would do well, BUT to ensure this, I am curious if you have any knowledge about which of our top choices is also more apt to begin to eat prepared frozen foods. We would like to begin to "train" the fish to eat prepared foods while in QT. We do not have a refugium with our current set up, due to space allowances.

Additionally, are either of these less likely to create sandstorms with its sifting; not swimming as high into the water column while sifting? It was a long time ago, but we don't remember the bullet goby making our tank cloudy. (Could be faulty memories, of course!) The only corals we have on the sand bed are a frogspawn and a gorgonian.

Current other fish tank mates include a male blue throat trigger, a cherub angel, 2 clowns, a purple firefish, and a royal gramma. (We stock lightly because we have to move every 3 years and don't want to get too attached to our fish!)

Thank you in advance for any input you can provide! :)
Your tank will supply the needs for either one. I also haven't had an issue getting either to eat prepared foods.

As far as sand storms, both are so-so. Corals on the sand will get buried by either. The diamond goby stays on the sand to sift while the bullet will go into the water a few inches. However, the bullet goby also eats hair algae.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will supply the needs for either one. I also haven't had an issue getting either to eat prepared foods.

As far as sand storms, both are so-so. Corals on the sand will get buried by either. The diamond goby stays on the sand to sift while the bullet will go into the water a few inches. However, the bullet goby also eats hair algae.

@eatbreakfast, thanks for your input and confirmation of our choices. I really appreciate it! :D

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. The fish on your list are all peaceful and most are pretty small. As long as you can maintain water quality you should be fine. Just test your water frequently and add fish slowly.

What are the odds I can keep the anthias alive? Do I need to feed them more than once a day?

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into an ORA Splendid Dottyback or possibly another ORA Pseudochromis. I currently have a Sailfin Blenny and a Ruby Headed Fairy Wrasse. Would that be a risky move or should they be fine in the same tank. Tank is a 55 gal. and also currently houses a juvenile blue tang (yes I know, small tank for a tang and no this is not permanent for the tang).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into an ORA Splendid Dottyback or possibly another ORA Pseudochromis. I currently have a Sailfin Blenny and a Ruby Headed Fairy Wrasse. Would that be a risky move or should they be fine in the same tank. Tank is a 55 gal. and also currently houses a juvenile blue tang (yes I know, small tank for a tang and no this is not permanent for the tang).
I don't see too much of an issue. I have found splendid dottybacks to be pretty well behaved. Being a dottyback there is a chance for aggression, but I would consider it minimal.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back