Need help, first time with reefer and new to sump filtration

hozay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a eflux 6010 return pump. Turned off the pump and flow to spot feed some corals. When I tried turning the pump back on it doesn’t start up. It seems like it loses power. Pump runs just fine at 50% power but when I turn it back to 100% it does this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.mov
    63.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Running a eflux 6010 return pump. Turned off the pump and flow to spot feed some corals. When I tried turning the pump back on it doesn’t start up. It seems like it loses power. Pump runs just fine at 50% power but when I turn it back to 100% it does this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Its intermittent. There may be snail or other debris in the impeller shaft.
Disconnect pump, remove housing and pull the little propeller known as impeller out. Clean the magnet and the hole it sits in and flush it out.
Place impeller back in an assure the shaft is aligned straight and any bushings are placed back in and start it up again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hozay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its intermittent. There may be snail or other debris in the impeller shaft.
Disconnect pump, remove housing and pull the little propeller known as impeller out. Clean the magnet and the hole it sits in and flush it out.
Place impeller back in an assure the shaft is aligned straight and any bushings are placed back in and start it up again
I should also that this is the second pump I replace. First time this happened was when feeding. I thought it was the pump so I replaced it. Set the new one in and it was doing the same thing and five minutes later it seemed to fix it self. That same day I did a water change and when I turned the pump back on it started doing this again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hozay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it run consistently at 50% (meaning you can keep your tank alive)?
It does run consistently at 50% that’s how I’ve been running it. The only thing I’m worried about is keeping the display temp up. The apex reads a consistent 78, but when I check the temp of the display with my Hanna salinity it’s closer to 76.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I should also that this is the second pump I replace. First time this happened was when feeding. I thought it was the pump so I replaced it. Set the new one in and it was doing the same thing and five minutes later it seemed to fix it self. That same day I did a water change and when I turned the pump back on it started doing this again.
I have no regard for these pumps and the jebao pumps as they tend to me moody. We all want consistency.

Upvote 0

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, that seems weird. The fact that it works at 50% would indicate that it is not blocked. so maybe it's overheating or warped causing it to stall at full power. I assume it not that it's just drawing too much power and tripping a circuit. .. sorry, good luck (try contacting the vendor). or.. a new brand.

Upvote 0

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a side note.. I have used many pumps over the years, many with success and some are truly junk. I went to save some money a couple of years back and bought some Orlushy 24v dc pumps off amazon. I have never had a problem with any of the 3 i own.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back