Need help from torch experts

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral that is my nemesis, the torch. Can’t keep them alive for more than 4 months and they don’t grow at all during that time. Every other coral in my mixed reef, mostly Acros but have shrooms, hammers, Duncan’s, candy canes, montis, lots of Acros and others haven’t probably listed thrive and grow and full of color, but the dang torches won’t grow and eventually die. Just tried a couple small ones a month or so ago but I can tell they are going down the same path. I don’t see there skeleton but they just don’t grow and thrive, I also noticed one has bleached and the tentacles are all white. Hers a pic of my tank to give some perspective. The 2 torch frags are on a rack off to the side of the tank, will get a pic of them.

20200210_110704.jpg 20200210_110751.jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainty no torch expert, but I'll tell you that my torches began to bleach in the weeks after I got them. I slowly upped my lighting intensity and they regained their color. I never moved them at all, so flow remained constant.

That said, they are not afraid of some fairly decent flow either.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d find more flow for your torches and move them up. Mine 6-10” from surface and lots of flow.
image.jpg
image.jpg

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried dipping the torches after being in your tank for a while? There are Euphyllia Eating Flatworms out there. I wonder if they could be the issue and for whatever reason the torch species is affected more by the particular EEFW species in the tank. Possibly some variation that can sustain life on other Euphyllia without killing/ bleaching it, but would ultimately kill a torch coral with the style/method of predation?

Some water quality issue(s) should impact many of the other organisms in that tank before I would think a torch would show any symptoms. With everything else apparently thriving, including other euphyllia sub-species. I would have to lean towards some "pest", be it EEFW, crab, fish, that is bothering the torches.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back