Need help iD

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this tang has been through 30 days of copper two rounds of Prazi and has been in an observation tank for about 3 weeks I was going to transfer to DT until I started to see this develop so I’ve been watching for about a week and seems the the spots have been showing up a little more. I tried to get the best pictures I could but a little hard. The clownfish are 100% healthy and not showing any signs of anything. I will note nitrates have spiked a bit in this observation tank so I’ve been doing water changes often to get them to come down. I’m guessing lympho? Viral nodules? I’m not sure. If this is lympho or due to the nitrates I think I’ll just go ahead and put them into the DT since it’s much more pristine

edit: fish are eating great I also don’t see flashing or scratching 5A026634-0E5C-4281-9327-C1735E69939D.jpeg FAC27793-E2B0-4CEE-84C7-1757EDDD7318.jpeg 9EDA2483-6829-4FB8-B93F-A5A974DCFBE5.jpeg 7D7FD4E9-D24E-49BD-94BA-EF970FB16E61.jpeg B713BA9F-9516-496B-BC75-18A6B52CB600.jpeg 4F78300B-F7E6-467D-B308-7A8BDB1CC479.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, this tang has been through 30 days of copper two rounds of Prazi and has been in an observation tank for about 3 weeks I was going to transfer to DT until I started to see this develop so I’ve been watching for about a week and seems the the spots have been showing up a little more. I tried to get the best pictures I could but a little hard. The clownfish are 100% healthy and not showing any signs of anything. I will note nitrates have spiked a bit in this observation tank so I’ve been doing water changes often to get them to come down. I’m guessing lympho? Viral nodules? I’m not sure. If this is lympho or due to the nitrates I think I’ll just go ahead and put them into the DT since it’s much more pristine

5A026634-0E5C-4281-9327-C1735E69939D.jpeg FAC27793-E2B0-4CEE-84C7-1757EDDD7318.jpeg 9EDA2483-6829-4FB8-B93F-A5A974DCFBE5.jpeg 7D7FD4E9-D24E-49BD-94BA-EF970FB16E61.jpeg B713BA9F-9516-496B-BC75-18A6B52CB600.jpeg 4F78300B-F7E6-467D-B308-7A8BDB1CC479.jpeg
This looks like lymphocystis which is often caused by poor water quality and/or diet
term Poor Water quality is caused by high ammonia and nitrate in many cases and would make sense with high nitrate. Assure filters are clean and running efficiently and that you are not skipping on maintenance or overfeeding.
Diet: this fish is not a sole flake and pellet feeder and should be offered foods with fats and aminos. Some good foods are LRS herbivore diet, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, formula 2 frozen and small plankton
Occasionally add selcon vitamins to the foods.
Doing this along with keeping pristine water will reverse what you see

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like lymphocystis which is often caused by poor water quality and/or diet
term Poor Water quality is caused by high ammonia and nitrate in many cases and would make sense with high nitrate. Assure filters are clean and running efficiently and that you are not skipping on maintenance or overfeeding.
Diet: this fish is not a sole flake and pellet feeder and should be offered foods with fats and aminos. Some good foods are LRS herbivore diet, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, formula 2 frozen and small plankton
Occasionally add selcon vitamins to the foods.
Doing this along with keeping pristine water will reverse what you see
Thanks for the reply he gets everything under the sun I feed mysis, rods vege blend, nori, spirulina brine and add selcon few times a week. Only gets LFS pellets maybe 1 or 2 times a week these spots only developed with the nitrate spike. They don’t seem to be multiplying but there has been more pop up than what it first started as. ALSO some of the spots seem to be stringy? Can this happen with lympho?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply he gets everything under the sun I feed mysis, rods vege blend, nori, spirulina brine and add selcon few times a week. Only gets LFS pellets maybe 1 or 2 times a week these spots only developed with the nitrate spike. They don’t seem to be multiplying but there has been more pop up than what it first started as. ALSO some of the spots seem to be stringy? Can this happen with lympho?
There a re a few spots on the glass- would need better/clearer/closer pics to see as it was hard to tell from spots on glass.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There a re a few spots on the glass- would need better/clearer/closer pics to see as it was hard to tell from spots on glass.
Yeah sorry about that sometimes when I’m loading the algae clip some water gets on that side. I will clean it and try to get more pictures when I’m home shortly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold the fish back for a few days to a week to see how this develops.

Are the spots only on the left side of the caudal fin, or are there some on the right as well?
I don't think this is Lymphocystis, the spots are too numerous and they don't run on the fin edges and seem as raised as Lymphocystis would. More likely, these are just excess mucus being produced for some reason (tangs do this fairly often).

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Are the spots only on the left side of the caudal fin, or are there some on the right as well?
I don't think this is Lymphocystis, the spots are too numerous and they don't run on the fin edges and seem as raised as Lymphocystis would. More likely, these are just excess mucus being produced for some reason (tangs do this fairly often).

Jay
Yeah, reason I requested clearer pictures. Definetly not a treatment issue.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Spots are on both sides but mainly on the fins I don’t see any on the body or the fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots are on both sides but mainly on the fins I don’t see any on the body or the fish

Well, it being on just the fins does line up with Lymphocystis......

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no sand in the tank. I'm mainly worried about what is on the fins. I will be pretty upset if it is ich im not sure how that could be after 30 days.
I don’t see ich - the spots are too large. I can’t rule out lymphocystis, but it is probably just excess mucus. I don’t see anything to treat for at the moment.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see ich - the spots are too large. I can’t rule out lymphocystis, but it is probably just excess mucus. I don’t see anything to treat for at the moment.
Jay
Should i just move him into DT? water conditions are perfect in DT but i dont want to infect the tank since it just went fallow for 60 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i just move him into DT? water conditions are perfect in DT but i dont want to infect the tank since it just went fallow for 60 days
No - if it is lymphocystis it will go away on its own in 6 to 10 weeks no matter what tank the fish is in. If it is mucus, the DT would help, but holding it back in the QT won’t hurt the fish. If it isn’t either of these two things then holding it back would be the safest for your other fish - so I still have the opinion of holding it back a week or so to see how things pan out .

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back