Need help identifying 3 LPS

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I've had all of these LPS for a few weeks. The LFS owner identified them, in order, as "Trumpet," "Fireworks Favia," and "Closed Brain."

The trumpet and the fireworks favia do not look like photos I've seen online of those corals. The "trumpet" looks like it could plausibly be a trumpet, but the Favia has very small "eyes," a rainbow coloration, and none of the white streaks that seem to characterize the "Fireworks Favia."

I think the closed brain is a Platy, but would like to confirm identification for placement purposes. For now, I have it in a location that doesnt get so much light and flow.

Sorry about the poor photo of the favia, I have been rearranging things because I bought more frags than I could comfortably place the way the rocks were initially arranged.

20200308_171623.jpg 20200308_171645.jpg 20200308_171703.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
love to see closer pic of red ,favia ,trumpet,??#3

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a JF Day Glo favia, the last photo is a platy.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a JF Day Glo favia, the last photo is a platy.

Day Glo looks closer than fireworks, but has more of a pink tone based on photos I've seen.

I guess my biggest concern is the size of the polyps. Most favia / favites seem to have larger polyps. This thing is a lot closer to our Monties than our other LPS in terms of polyp size. I would think it would demand higher flow and light compared to other favia as such, unless you would advise otherwise?

Should I be concerned about the Platy in a lower flow and light area? Most of the articles I've seen prescribe milder conditions for Platy than other "brain" corals.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day Glo looks closer than fireworks, but has more of a pink tone based on photos I've seen.

I guess my biggest concern is the size of the polyps. Most favia / favites seem to have larger polyps. This thing is a lot closer to our Monties than our other LPS in terms of polyp size. I would think it would demand higher flow and light compared to other favia as such, unless you would advise otherwise?

Should I be concerned about the Platy in a lower flow and light area? Most of the articles I've seen prescribe milder conditions for Platy than other "brain" corals.
I have had then both and they like med flow, med light. The biggest problems I have had with favias is they can be a bit aggressive, you just have to look at them at night and seen how big their tentacles are. I have had some with small tentacles and others with tentacles that reach out a few inches. When I had my Full Tilt favia they had bigger polyps, my JF Day Glo had polyps half the size and it looked exactly the same as in your photo with the blues on. I mainly got my favias from Legendary Corals as they seem to have the best selection, you can go there and look at the selection and photos.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had then both and they like med flow, med light. The biggest problems I have had with favias is they can be a bit aggressive, you just have to look at them at night and seen how big their tentacles are. I have had some with small tentacles and others with tentacles that reach out a few inches. When I had my Full Tilt favia they had bigger polyps, my JF Day Glo had polyps half the size and it looked exactly the same as in your photo with the blues on. I mainly got my favias from Legendary Corals as they seem to have the best selection, you can go there and look at the selection and photos.

I havent seen any particularly long tentacles at night, maybe an inch at most. I'm running the lights pretty high right now since we just added a bunch of different monties. For whatever reason, we really gravitate towards the monties.

I actually havent seen any tentacles emerge from the Platy at any point, even when target feeding at night. It looks healthy enough though (except the die off where it was fragged).

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent seen any particularly long tentacles at night, maybe an inch at most. I'm running the lights pretty high right now since we just added a bunch of different monties. For whatever reason, we really gravitate towards the monties.

I actually havent seen any tentacles emerge from the Platy at any point, even when target feeding at night. It looks healthy enough though (except the die off where it was fragged).
I have had a few platys that had only small tentacles and other that have had longer ones. I am trying to remember what the tentacles looked like when I had my JF Day Glo, I don't think they were to long. I also like monti's, just haven't added one as my tank isn't suited for the look I want. My next tank, at the end of the year may be different. I like the WWC Grafted Cap monti myself.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back