Need help identifying these apasia looking algea

  • Thread starter Thread starter garbby26
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

garbby26

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Jacksonville
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let these get out of control now I'm trying to find out what they are exactly. I've taken these pics to multiple store and they are not sure. If anybody knows any remedies for these. Thankyou.

20231222_154549.jpg 20231222_154541.jpg
 
Looks like Aiptasia for me. Add a peppermint shrimp (or multiple depending on tank size) you can also try a product like aiptasiax to inject the kill them. You will need to be diligent to get these under control.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those are definitely anemones in that first pic, but I'm not sure what kind they are.

The things in the second pic look like they're growing out of tubes. To my understanding, that would mean they're colonial hydroids rather than anemones, but either way, you most likely want to remove them from the tank. For example pics where you can see similar colonial hydroids and their tubes, see the link below, for advice on getting rid of them, see the quote below:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/are-we-sure-these-are-colonial-hydroids.797406/
I've heard smothering the hydroids with kalk paste may work, and here are some other threads with suggestions that might be helpful::
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydroids-a-reference-to-some-strategies.819522/https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydroids-how-do-i-eliminate-they-have-taken-over-my-tank.329188/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new