Need help IDing and treating infection/injury to my Royal Gramma.

ZachBuysFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first noticed that it was suddenly hiding when normal it's out and about. Yesterday, it stopped hiding so much but then I noticed a white spot on it that seems to be protruding from it's body and today it seems to be larger. I want to treat it but I have no idea what it is. At first I wondered if it could just be poop, but it seems to be coming out of the side more than the bottom, and I've never seen anything like this on it before. Any help is appreciated. 20230827_102508.jpg

Attachments

• 20230828_125659.mp4
    38.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I first noticed that it was suddenly hiding when normal it's out and about. Yesterday, it stopped hiding so much but then I noticed a white spot on it that seems to be protruding from it's body and today it seems to be larger. I want to treat it but I have no idea what it is. At first I wondered if it could just be poop, but it seems to be coming out of the side more than the bottom, and I've never seen anything like this on it before. Any help is appreciated. 20230827_102508.jpg
Need a clearer pic under white light intensity only. Can be bacterial or prolapse but need to see clearer

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you watch the video? I think that's probably the best I'd be able to get of it. I can try under white lights though.
Yes but with fish moving- cant tell if its mucus, worm or other

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what that is. At first, I thought it was a prolapse, but it seems to be off-center, and pointing a bit to the left, you can't really see it from the right side of the fish - the anal opening is dead center on a fish.

In reality, there probably isn't anything that can be done here other than feed it well and wait it out.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

ZachBuysFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but with fish moving- cant tell if its mucus, worm or other
I don't think it's a worm as it doesn't seem to move at all. It's almost completely white in color.
I'm not sure what that is. At first, I thought it was a prolapse, but it seems to be off-center, and pointing a bit to the left, you can't really see it from the right side of the fish - the anal opening is dead center on a fish.

In reality, there probably isn't anything that can be done here other than feed it well and wait it out.

Jay

I am encouraged by the fact that the fish is eating again and acting mostly normal. However, whatever that is hasn't gone away or gotten any smaller yet. I was wondering if I should try to use some kind of antibiotic to treat this? I don't have a QT tank unfortunately, though I could set up something small if necessary.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a worm as it doesn't seem to move at all. It's almost completely white in color.

I am encouraged by the fact that the fish is eating again and acting mostly normal. However, whatever that is hasn't gone away or gotten any smaller yet. I was wondering if I should try to use some kind of antibiotic to treat this? I don't have a QT tank unfortunately, though I could set up something small if necessary.

I don't like treating with antibiotics unless I have a clear indication that the problem is bacterial. If you do go that route, you will need a treatment tank with a good, operating biofilter. I would suggest using a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as neoplex or kanaplex.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Encouraging it is as a fish in distress rarely eats.

OP
OP
Z

ZachBuysFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encouraging it is as a fish in distress rarely eats.
Update: I was about to try to take a video as this unidentified thing was even larger today. The fish darted quickly and whatever this was just fell off. Where it was, there still seems to be a small opening on the side of the fish. I picked up what fell off of the fish and took some pictures of it. I still don't know what it is but I'm hoping one of you might. It is probably about the diameter of a dime.
@Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• 20230829_154642.jpg
    20230829_154642.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230829_154722.jpg
    20230829_154722.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 22

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back