Need help leveling my 90 gal

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I need some help.. let me start by saying I am a carpenter by trade.. but I build homes, so I never have to worry bout water and glass. Sooo here are the shims.. this is worrying to me.. that’s on the left there is 1 on the right. Please I need advice.

btw that’s level my house is really old and has seriously settled

image.jpg image.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as all four corners are coplanar and solid/stable, your good. Do the floor joist run perpendicular under the tank? (I was a union trim carpenter when i was young.)

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as long as the stand is built solid so it doesnt flex with weight then having the 4 corners supported is what is most important. Also the stand needs to be square and level to help even weight distribution.

All comes down to solid craftsmanship in the building of the stand.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I believe so... so if parts of the stand aren’t even touching the ground it’s okay as long as corners are where they need to be?

If it's a rimmed glass tank, just all four corners need to be supported. Square and level. If it's a acrylic tank, it needs to be supported all around its perimeter.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I take it back I think they are running parallel with the stand

2x10's or 2x12's?

With a 90 gallon you should be okay parallel to length. Larger tank needs them perpendicular to length.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I take it back I think they are running parallel with the stand
Personally I would be concerned having all that weight on 1 joist but I have a tendancy yo overthink, over build, and over worry.

I've read anything under 100-125 you really dont need to worry about support. With a 90 gallon and sump you might be 110+ depending on sump size.

I would make sure if nothing else your agaisnt a load bearing wall. Also assess the joist your on. Is it 2x8, 2x10,2x12? Is it single or sistered? Is it in good condition?

Depending on the age of your home it might be even stronger then newer homes especially if its a true 2x whatever and not 1.5. Also having solid plywood instead of OSB subflooring adds strength.

My 90 gallon sits perpendicular on 3/4inch oak hardwood, 1/2 plywood, and 2x10 old wood pine spaced 16 inch on center above a steel beam and lollicolumn on the garage. Over built and way over though

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would be concerned having all that weight on 1 joist but I have a tendancy yo overthink, over build, and over worry.

I've read anything under 100-125 you really dont need to worry about support. With a 90 gallon and sump you might be 110+ depending on sump size.

I would make sure if nothing else your agaisnt a load bearing wall. Also assess the joist your on. Is it 2x8, 2x10,2x12? Is it single or sistered? Is it in good condition?

Depending on the age of your home it might be even stronger then newer homes especially if its a true 2x whatever and not 1.5. Also having solid plywood instead of OSB subflooring adds strength.

My 90 gallon sits perpendicular on 3/4inch oak hardwood, 1/2 plywood, and 2x10 old wood pine spaced 16 inch on center above a steel beam and lollicolumn on the garage. Over built and way over though
I am on a load bearing wall.. good lord now you got me stressing.. cause now you’re speaking my language

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would be less risky to just rip a couple of 2x4's to your desired thickness. I'm assuming the gap is the same on both sides?????
That’s what I’m thinking and no. Only on one side, the whole room slopes to the outside wall

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking and no. Only on one side, the whole room slopes to the outside wall
If this were me and my house I would assess the joist. If open underneath easy to do, if not poke a hole in the ceiling below the floor. Measure, poke with a screw driver and make sure theyre solid. I second the idea of creating 1 long shim for the 1 side of the tank out of 1x4 or 2x4 stock snd then use trim to hide the gaps.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank i wouldn't have it primarily on composite shims, I just feel like there is a little bit of risk. A little bit of creativity and a table saw you can probably get a good support all the way around it. I Also have an old house and shimmed my tank with 2x4s. My tank is also on my 2nd story floor and my house hasn't fallen yet lol

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me and my house I would assess the joist. If open underneath easy to do, if not poke a hole in the ceiling below the floor. Measure, poke with a screw driver and make sure theyre solid. I second the idea of creating 1 long shim for the 1 side of the tank out of 1x4 or 2x4 stock snd then use trim to hide the gaps.
I think that’s what I’m gonna do

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and btw I’m on the first floor

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to crawl under the house
I forget outside of the northeast not everyone has basements for easy access

Really you should be fine but without knowing structural details just can never say for 100% sure. 99% of the time nothing would happen but I sleep better knowing that other 1% is covered.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget outside of the northeast not everyone has basements for easy access

Really you should be fine but without knowing structural details just can never say for 100% sure. 99% of the time nothing would happen but I sleep better knowing that other 1% is covered.
As a carpenter I’m not worried bout the house I’m worried more bout the tank cracking lol

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a carpenter I’m not worried bout the house I’m worried more bout the tank cracking lol

My floor had my Reefer 350 similarly out of level - I think one stack of composite shims was over an inch thick. Possibly more than 1.5" thick... I don't remember exactly, but it was about as tall as the stack in your first picture.

To level it, I picked up a couple of air shims and pumped them up until the tank was level. Measured the gap between the stand and the floor at about 6 different spots along the front and three different spots on the sides, and cut scrap 2x4 to size for each of those spots.

If you don't have any air shims, get yourself two or three - takes the guesswork out of sizing the leveling supports.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My floor had my Reefer 350 similarly out of level - I think one stack of composite shims was over an inch thick. Possibly more than 1.5" thick... I don't remember exactly, but it was about as tall as the stack in your first picture.

To level it, I picked up a couple of air shims and pumped them up until the tank was level. Measured the gap between the stand and the floor at about 6 different spots along the front and three different spots on the sides, and cut scrap 2x4 to size for each of those spots.

If you don't have any air shims, get yourself two or three - takes the guesswork out of sizing the leveling supports.
Well actually at this point in time it’s 98% level so I I just need to support a Little more

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back