Need help of choosing a dosing pump

Taka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider when choosing a dosing pump?
I currently run a 40g tank with mainly SPS corals, and I want to buy a dosing pump. My expectation will be a dosing pump with 4 channels. If there's a right dosing pump, the budget can be a little higher.

I've searched some brands, such as Kamoer, Ecotech, BRS, Bubble Magnus, Neptune.. Both the Kamoer F4 Pro and X5S look great, but the Versa seems to be more accurate right?
Can you share your using experience of different brands?

Thank you in advance!!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a jaebo 4 head dosing pump. Pretty basic but did the job. Once I got my apex I went with a DOS. The only real drawback to it is that it’s only got 2 heads. I really liked the capability to run it in both directions though that’s not a highly used funny for most people. Easy to program through fusion though.

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on buying the versa 4 pump set. It doses all the way down to 0.5 microliters per min. Thats wild precision. If you have the money and u dont mind splurging you cant go wrong. 4 pump set with the mounting plate just cam back into stock on BRS. All of my Echtech equipment is fantastic (lights return and powerheads) and soon to be dosing pumps when the time comes.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need 4 channels? Alk and cal is all you need to dose daily. Check the size and price of the red sea 2 channel doser. Great quality and easy to set up.

OP
OP
T

Taka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a jaebo 4 head dosing pump. Pretty basic but did the job. Once I got my apex I went with a DOS. The only real drawback to it is that it’s only got 2 heads. I really liked the capability to run it in both directions though that’s not a highly used funny for most people. Easy to program through fusion though.
How about its accuracy? Is it precision enough to use?

OP
OP
T

Taka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on buying the versa 4 pump set. It doses all the way down to 0.5 microliters per min. Thats wild precision. If you have the money and u dont mind splurging you cant go wrong. 4 pump set with the mounting plate just cam back into stock on BRS. All of my Echtech equipment is fantastic (lights return and powerheads) and soon to be dosing pumps when the time comes.
I've checked that the Kamoer doses 1ml per min, is it the less flow the more accurate and the better? Just curious about what'll be the best flow rate :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
T

Taka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need 4 channels? Alk and cal is all you need to dose daily. Check the size and price of the red sea 2 channel doser. Great quality and easy to set up.
Just want to buy one and use it long term :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: But seems that I'm unable to add more channels to the red sea if I need more in the future?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kamoer(s) for 2-part + part C and have been pleased. No issues, holds calibration well, easy to program, and in the event that one goes bad it’s easy/cheap to replace the entire unit if necessary.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to buy one and use it long term :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: But seems that I'm unable to add more channels to the red sea if I need more in the future?
They make a 2 and a 4 channel. I only needed the 2. If you go with a 2 channel you can always add another 2 channel. They are really small, easy to set up and wifi to your phone via reefbeat which is great for making adjustments and monitoring.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about its accuracy? Is it precision enough to use?
It was enough for me. I was dosing kalk with one head and auto water change for the other.

OP
OP
T

Taka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a 2 and a 4 channel. I only needed the 2. If you go with a 2 channel you can always add another 2 channel. They are really small, easy to set up and wifi to your phone via reefbeat which is great for making adjustments and monitoring.
Thank you so much!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 187

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best dosing pump in my opinion is one that’s directly connected with a controller and is using a stepper motor. I like the BRS 1.1ml dosers with the Apex. Similarly to a DOS but much quieter.

I use a Versa for Kalk. And a RedSea Reefdose for trace elements. On another tank I use a Kamoer x1 for dosing All For Reef.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do auto water change with one head? Don’t you need one head for new water and another for old water?
Because the DOS can be run in the forward direction and the reverse direction, I used a two check valves and tee fitting. When I would run it in the forward direction, it would draw water out of the tank and down the drain. When I would run it in the reverse direction, the check valves would switch and pull from the other side of the tee fitting and it would draw new SW from my reservoir and push it to the tank.

RJenks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the DOS can be run in the forward direction and the reverse direction, I used a two check valves and tee fitting. When I would run it in the forward direction, it would draw water out of the tank and down the drain. When I would run it in the reverse direction, the check valves would switch and pull from the other side of the tee fitting and it would draw new SW from my reservoir and push it to the tank.
I am thinking of setting up a similar system. Are the check valves still functioning well. Have you had any failures. What valves are you using. A setup like this would save me money as I would like to use the other head to dose All-for-reef.

Back