Need help picking other fish for pico CLownfish reef

IndigoAlive

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2025
Messages
19
Reaction score
13
Location
OtterTail County
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mocha Storm clownfish that lost her mate a while ago and everytime I try to add a new clownfish into that tank she kills it or bullies it to hide in the rocks and gets food aggressive with them, I have tried all I can find about how to stop them doing that including the seperated in tank system with the new fish and etc... but she still does the same stuff no matter what I try. I have a 6 gallon reef tank currently cycling for her to be moved into, however I am wondering what else besides hermits and snails could I add to this tank? I dont want to add a pistol shrimp tho this tank because i dont want this tank to constanly being dug through and the shrimp to burry corals and or nems if I add any (had one shrimp burry 3 rock flowers and kill them in the past) i want something fairly easy to keep but am having a difficult time deciding what other fish to add. and advice and or recomendations would be appreciated.
Current coral/macro list in case it helps picking out fish that would eat them.
Asstd. Zoas
Pulsing Xenia
Kenya Tree
GSP
Mushrooms
Orange Monticap
Dragons Breath Macro
 
cutting it close if even the 1 clown would be good in this tank, but it will most likely kill any fish that you put in there as it is such as small tank. i would also run this connected to the other system and not stand alone as it will be tough to manage
 
cutting it close if even the 1 clown would be good in this tank, but it will most likely kill any fish that you put in there as it is such as small tank. i would also run this connected to the other system and not stand alone as it will be tough to manage
Agree.

These fish like to have room to themselves. They look like a tiny fish (to us) in a small aquarium but they react because they want to live in the ocean, where 6 gallons evaporate from every second.
 
A tank that size I think I’d go with a trio of neon gobies and maybe a small ornamental shrimp. I know it can be done, but I wouldn’t put a clown something that size.
 
A tank that size I think I’d go with a trio of neon gobies and maybe a small ornamental shrimp. I know it can be done, but I wouldn’t put a clown something that size.
neon gobies are extremely territorial to their own species and will kill eachother. It is hard sometimes getting 2 in moderate sized tanks let alone 3 in 6 gallons
 
cutting it close if even the 1 clown would be good in this tank, but it will most likely kill any fish that you put in there as it is such as small tank. i would also run this connected to the other system and not stand alone as it will be tough to manage
I have a 3 gallon sexy shrimp reef on my tank that has been running for alomst a year now and I've been able to keep it looking great with super fast coral growth and very stable parameters, I cant run a line to it current tank because its current tank is in my living room and the new tank is in my bar/office across the house, i dont need to add any other fish to the tank but I just wanted to know if i did have options and what they would be if i decided i wanted to add like one other fish
 
I have a Pico 6 gallons. Two clowns is not going to work long term. Sure someone is going to come along and post they have had 2 clowns in a 6 Pico, but more than likely as those clowns mature aggression issues will arise. It's the nature of the beast.

🦈
 
Can we see a pic? Sounds like a very interesting tank!
Honestly I would not add another fish, its already tight for just the clown IMO.
 
I have a Pico 6 gallons. Two clowns is not going to work long term. Sure someone is going to come along and post they have had 2 clowns in a 6 Pico, but more than likely as those clowns mature aggression issues will arise. It's the nature of the beast.

🦈
1767569806033.png
 
I have a Pico 6 gallons. Two clowns is not going to work long term. Sure someone is going to come along and post they have had 2 clowns in a 6 Pico, but more than likely as those clowns mature aggression issues will arise. It's the nature of the beast.

🦈
the tank she is in now is a 50 gallon but she kills any other clown that i tried putting in with her to re-pair with her thats why shes gonna go to the 6 gallon tank to be the only clown in it and I'll get new clowns for the bigger tank
 
Can we see a pic? Sounds like a very interesting tank!
Honestly I would not add another fish, its already tight for just the clown IMO.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Haven’t gotten fully used to the new color lenses for taking these pic yet. The shrimp have been crawling all over the Duncan so it’s been closed today
 
A single blue w yellow tail damsel might work or a cleaner shrimp
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new