Need help plumbing

Koestby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and girls!

As the title says, I need help understanding this.

My tank, 65g.. rimless. Going to drill the tank 2x 1,5" holes into overflowbox Eshopps Prodigy L, it has 3x 1" drains for sump. Thats ok, I was thinking 3/4" for return. But then I started thinking of having all of the plumbing in 1" Both drain and return, are there any issues with that? Im gonna do bean animal, gate valves on the main drain and for the return..

Any help greatly appreciated.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that BeanAnimal had 1" openings in his overflow box on the original setup. He did you bushings to go to 1.5" with his plumbing, however... he states that with the bigger plumbing, the more flow you can get without a noisy whirlpool forming. That being said... I think it greatly depends on what sort of flow rates you are going to put through this thing.

What return pump will you be using?

As far as can your return lines be the same size as your drain... I don't really see why not. I'm not really certain what issues it would cause.

OP
OP
Koestby

Koestby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, Im not sure yet of what pump I will be using, looking at the ReefOcto VarioS 4-6 or maybe Ecotech M2. That will let me still have good flow, and not run the pumps at 100% And the loss of pressure by the pipework etc no concern.

Im leaning towards 1" on all the plumbing tbh

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with what you’re thinking of doing as long as the 3 1” bulkheads will fit in your overflow box.

BRSBrokeMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and girls!

As the title says, I need help understanding this.

My tank, 65g.. rimless. Going to drill the tank 2x 1,5" holes into overflowbox Eshopps Prodigy L, it has 3x 1" drains for sump. Thats ok, I was thinking 3/4" for return. But then I started thinking of having all of the plumbing in 1" Both drain and return, are there any issues with that? Im gonna do bean animal, gate valves on the main drain and for the return..

Any help greatly appreciated.
I drilled everything in my tank 1 inch and I did a bean animal overflow bottom outlet and I drilled 2 1 inch returns in the back of my tank
To connect the 3/4 lock line just use a 1x3/4 threaded bushing in the bulkhead

OP
OP
Koestby

Koestby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled everything in my tank 1 inch and I did a bean animal overflow bottom outlet and I drilled 2 1 inch returns in the back of my tank
To connect the 3/4 lock line just use a 1x3/4 threaded bushing in the bulkhead
How is your system with noise? Any slurping etc? I´ll have 2x rfg in the tank with either a Nero or Vortechs for main flow in the tank

BRSBrokeMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your system with noise? Any slurping etc? I´ll have 2x rfg in the tank with either a Nero or Vortechs for main flow in the tank
I put a gate valve on both of my drains so I can adjust them to a perfect water level
I open the bottom one most of the way and top one just keeps it at perfect height and makes it silent
I know everyone says you don’t need a gate valve on the main drain but I couldn’t prevent it from gurgling all the tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Koestby

Koestby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that means, I would potentially need 3 valves, 2 for the drains, and 1 for the return. Do you have a pic for the whole sump layout?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a gate valve on both of my drains so I can adjust them to a perfect water level
I open the bottom one most of the way and top one just keeps it at perfect height and makes it silent
I know everyone says you don’t need a gate valve on the main drain but I couldn’t prevent it from gurgling all the tim
Interesting that both your drains are joined together before they go into the sump. I suspect your need for a gate valve on both drains has to do with that. The original BeanAnimal design has both drains and the back each separately going into the tank. I suspect you are introducing air into your main drain by plumbing it that way. But it sounds your like solution to that issue works out. :)

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that both your drains are joined together before they go into the sump. I suspect your need for a gate valve on both drains has to do with that. The original BeanAnimal design has both drains and the back each separately going into the tank. I suspect you are introducing air into your main drain by plumbing it that way. But it sounds your like solution to that issue works out. :)

BRSBrokeMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have it that way but when I added the roller filter I had to tie them into each other

Attachments

• DA6DBEFA-A922-4592-A6ED-6B9C71E54B8F.jpeg
    DA6DBEFA-A922-4592-A6ED-6B9C71E54B8F.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 45

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tie any drains together, then you are losing safety and redundancy. Keep them separate. Three 1" (25mm) drains. Only put a gate valve on the siphon drain. The others don't need valves at all. In fact, nothing good can come of putting valves on the trickle or emergency drains.

OP
OP
Koestby

Koestby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tie any drains together, then you are losing safety and redundancy. Keep them separate. Three 1" (25mm) drains. Only put a gate valve on the siphon drain. The others don't need valves at all. In fact, nothing good can come of putting valves on the trickle or emergency drains.
Im plumbing all my drains seperate.
But, there is one thing my brain struggle to work around for some reason. Or i think i figured it out now. 1"standard is measured by the nominal bore or inside diamter right? But here in Norway we use metrics and measure by the outside, so the 25mm will be 20mm ID.. not comfy with so small drains. So i ordered 32mm piping for the drains, and 25mm for return. See picture for if that makes it easier to understand what im going on about o_O;Playful

Attachments

• IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 49

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, when we Westerners are talking about 1" pipe, we mean 1" Internal Diameter (ID).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back