Need help selecting a jebao cross flow

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new tank 84x30x24" I'm trying to figure out which jebao gyre would be best to get the tank up and running. I have 4 mp40s that will be coming over once I move the old tank out. I'm looking at gyres just a single pump solution for flow durring initial setup with live rock, no coral or fish in the tank. Not sure if I'll even keep it in the tank so I'm really only interested in jebao because of price. Problem I have is there are so many different ones out there I'm having trouble trying to figure out which wouid be best. Any recommendation from those of you that have experience with them?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
SCP 70 or 90 would be enough for you, tbh. i run my scp70 at 50% in my 40B and feel it is a bit much at times. i do run two nero 3's at 50% as well.

edit: you could probably size up to the one after the 90. i'd rather have an oversized gyre that i'd have to lower % on, than an undersized one that i can't go any higher in % on lol

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scp 120 I’d say like shakacuz was saying. I have an SCP 70 on one side of my 90 gallon 4 footer. I also use an mlw 20 for a bit of swirl on that side, plus 2 Nero 3 on the opposite with the return on that side as well.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCP 70 or 90 would be enough for you, tbh. i run my scp70 at 50% in my 40B and feel it is a bit much at times. i do run two nero 3's at 50% as well.

edit: you could probably size up to the one after the 90. i'd rather have an oversized gyre that i'd have to lower % on, than an undersized one that i can't go any higher in % on lol

Scp 120 I’d say like shakacuz was saying. I have an SCP 70 on one side of my 90 gallon 4 footer. I also use an mlw 20 for a bit of swirl on that side, plus 2 Nero 3 on the opposite with the return on that side as well.
Think a 180 would be too much if I dial it down? Only asking because it's really not too expensive at $113. I tend to be a too much is just enough person. Flow is like money and horse power, you can never have too much just use what you need. Providing a 180 can be dial down enough.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Think a 180 would be too much if I dial it down? Only asking because it's really not too expensive at $113. I tend to be a too much is just enough person. Flow is like money and horse power, you can never have too much just use what you need as long as you need. Providing a 180 can be dial down enough.
i say go for it. like i mentioned, i'd personally rather have an oversized pump/equipment that i can dial down, rather than one i can't dial up any more

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the number in the model number is the distance in centimeters that the pump should still provide flow. On my 6’ 125g tank I initially had two scp150 and I never considered them too big. I actually ended up adding a few extra power heads to use with the gyres.
I’d say for that size tank the biggest Jebao gyre won’t be too much at all.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is the SCP, MCP, ACP, ECP and now DCP. That is the order from oldest to newest models. The pumps are all basically the same, with some minor improvements and different blade colors. The real difference is the controller.

SCP - Original, "analog" controller
MCP - First real "wifi" controller
ACP - Improved wifi controller
ECP - The best version of the wifi controller for both setup and use (I've owned them all)
DCP - This is the newest version that's only been out for a couple months. Switched from wifi to Bluetooth with this one.

As for the 50/70/90/120/150/180 thing, that's personal preference. IMO, their ratings (in cm of tank length) are possibly a bit much. For instance, I got the 70s to run in a 90cm tank as I think the 90s would be too much. I only own the 50s and 70s, but I have a friend with a 5' tank running a 120, another buddy with a 6' tank running 120s and yet another friend with an 8' tank running the 180s, so I do have some experience with them.

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is the SCP, MCP, ACP, ECP and now DCP. That is the order from oldest to newest models. The pumps are all basically the same, with some minor improvements and different blade colors. The real difference is the controller.

SCP - Original, "analog" controller
MCP - First real "wifi" controller
ACP - Improved wifi controller
ECP - The best version of the wifi controller for both setup and use (I've owned them all)
DCP - This is the newest version that's only been out for a couple months. Switched from wifi to Bluetooth with this one.

As for the 50/70/90/120/150/180 thing, that's personal preference. IMO, their ratings (in cm of tank length) are possibly a bit much. For instance, I got the 70s to run in a 90cm tank as I think the 90s would be too much. I only own the 50s and 70s, but I have a friend with a 5' tank running a 120, another buddy with a 6' tank running 120s and yet another friend with an 8' tank running the 180s, so I do have some experience with them.
Are you running one or two pumps. Just curious how would two work together.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run pairs. I have mine setup a bit different than most people, I think. I run one side in a sinewave pattern for an hour while the other side is in feed mode (off). Then, I switch ends. So I use a bit of "wave", but all the "current" goes one direction for an hour, then it switches and does the same thing in the other direction for an hour.

I should also add... The newest version of the Jebao/Jecod pumps are advertised as "third generation". Apparently they improved the motors and/or blades in addition to adding bluetooth to the controller for this go-around, but I haven't tried one personally yet.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back