Need help sick fish

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what is wrong with this fish. Was fine at fish store then the next day I noticed some white spots. Not sure what it is

20221212_183607.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what is wrong with this fish. Was fine at fish store then the next day I noticed some white spots. Not sure what it is

20221212_183607.jpg
+1 on needing clear pictures taken under white light.

The fish looks thin and may have some fin damage. The larger lesion could be Uronema.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on needing clear pictures taken under white light.

The fish looks thin and may have some fin damage. The larger lesion could be Uronema.

Jay

Attachments

• 20221212_200921.jpg
    20221212_200921.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221212_200921.jpg
    20221212_200921.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 23

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures are clearer - the large spread out spot in the first pics is less visible here, so not likely Uronema.
What about the round white ball that looks raised up off the skin? That is too large to be a parasite, probably mucus. The other spots also look really large to be ich.
Is it breathing ok and eating?
Any other symptoms?
Jay

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures are clearer - the large spread out spot in the first pics is less visible here, so not likely Uronema.
What about the round white ball that looks raised up off the skin? That is too large to be a parasite, probably mucus. The other spots also look really large to be ich.
Is it breathing ok and eating?
Any other symptoms?
Jay
I believe it is eating. But it is swimming oddly. It swims kind of like its just staying in the same spot head towards the bottom of the tank about an inch or 2 below the surface. Just like the pictures show not moving from the spot

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe it is eating. But it is swimming oddly. It swims kind of like its just staying in the same spot head towards the bottom of the tank about an inch or 2 below the surface. Just like the pictures show not moving from the spot
It looks like an external infection - and possible swim bladder infection - or @Jay Hemdal s weird wrasse disease. I would treat with copper and a broad spectrum antibiotic. But - I don't want to step on other's toes. Certainly there must have been an injury with transferring from one tank to the other - if it was fine one day and sick the next - did you check the salinity in the bag water - with your tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, given the other symptoms, I think you need to start a treatment. I'm still not positive on the cause, but new fish should be given a quarantine treatment. Do you have it in a treatment tank? If so, you could start a coppersafe treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, given the other symptoms, I think you need to start a treatment. I'm still not positive on the cause, but new fish should be given a quarantine treatment. Do you have it in a treatment tank? If so, you could start a coppersafe treatment.

Jay
I appreciate all the help unfortunately I do not have a quarantine tank. I should probably start investing in one, I would have to do some research on how and what to do. But she is doing much better there are no more white spots and she is swimming around alot more. Still staying on one side of the tank bit seems to be doing alot better

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the help unfortunately I do not have a quarantine tank. I should probably start investing in one, I would have to do some research on how and what to do. But she is doing much better there are no more white spots and she is swimming around alot more. Still staying on one side of the tank bit seems to be doing alot better
Hope it continues to improve!

Here is our sticky post on quarantine:

Jay

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back