Need help solving disease

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to check out the local petco and ended up buying a bicolor and a royal gramma that day... that was less then two weeks ago and they have both passed away in the last 48 hours. Everyone else has been looking healthy, for the most part, when I added the new guys my tang got pretty stressed out at first, broke out with ich(or what I believed to be) well she has been doing a lot better after I did a few treatments with ich x on the tank, however a couple days ago I noticed my bi color hiding, I fed a bunch that night to see if she was eating or not (the gramma was hiding too but would come out for food). I found the bicolor dead on the sand bed the next morning of day 3 on ich x treatment, which isn’t copper based. So I thought at first maybe petco uses a copper product for their tanks, and I read it can take a few weeks for copper posing to show.. but then last night I noticed my gramma laying on the sand for a second, and then when I came home from work I couldn’t find her at first until I fed and just barely caught a glimpse of her moving thru the rock. Well maybe two hours later I found her dead on the sand... and in the last couple days I’ve noticed my tang less active then she was prior even after we started the treatment.. and now she has some serious spotage on her fins and her face looks like it’s peeling.. she’s breathing real heavy even thru her mouth, like blowing sand around occasionally. I haven’t notice any flashing from her whereas with the gramma I did. (Until I decided to video tape her just now!!)The bicolor I never noticed flashing either.. my tang looks really sick and I’m concerned it’s velvet or brook.. i have a sailfin tang that I took on due to someone having it in only a 30g tank.. she’s also breaking out with white spotsI’m going to upload a photo hopefully you guys can give me some answer and some advice.
I just checked my parameters
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: .5
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Haven’t checked phosphate yet but I will when I get home.
livestock include:
Pair of clowns
Diamond goby
Watchman goby
Lime damsel
Sailfin
Tomini
Cleaner shrimp
A boat load of hermits
Pink tip Haiti anemone
Rock flower anemone
Random corals
Feather duster
A couple turbo snails
Another pair of clowns in the sump
System is a 75g with a 20g sump

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 63644334021__22D04B5C-B52D-4374-A9E2-990E95EEBB12.MOV
    2 MB
  • 63644392446__1656E270-C3F1-41DB-8A8D-8C012A885D86.MOV
    769.2 KB
  • 63644402395__156FEB02-D847-4F23-B592-AA611087B9A4.MOV
    1.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, this is a real mess. My thought is that the petco fish, having died first, brought Amyloodinium into your tank. Your previous fish are now infected. It has nothing to do with copper toxicity, but rather the lack of a copper quarantine process. Ich-x won’t stop this.
I don’t have an easy solution for you - you would need to set up a treatment tank and move all of the fish over and start a copper treatment right away.

Jay

Upvote 1
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, this is a real mess. My thought is that the petco fish, having died first, brought Amyloodinium into your tank. Your previous fish are now infected. It has nothing to do with copper toxicity, but rather the lack of a copper quarantine process. Ich-x won’t stop this.
I don’t have an easy solution for you - you would need to set up a treatment tank and move all of the fish over and start a copper treatment right away.

Jay
I have never heard of Amyloodium so I will go do some research on that. Would a 40g breeder be acceptable for a qt without stressing the tangs out? The first tang I ever got contracted ich after i added my Diamond goby and the guy at the lfs told me to qt the fish but I only had a 20g at the time laying around to qt and I think that just made things worse. My tang only made it two days into treatment before I believed she just got too stressed out and I found her dead the next morning on day three. I had my clowns in there with her when it happened and they finished out qt with no issues whatsoever. I’m nervous to remove the tangs because I really really don’t want to lose them, but I don’t want to lose my whole tank either!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of Amyloodium so I will go do some research on that. Would a 40g breeder be acceptable for a qt without stressing the tangs out? The first tang I ever got contracted ich after i added my Diamond goby and the guy at the lfs told me to qt the fish but I only had a 20g at the time laying around to qt and I think that just made things worse. My tang only made it two days into treatment before I believed she just got too stressed out and I found her dead the next morning on day three. I had my clowns in there with her when it happened and they finished out qt with no issues whatsoever. I’m nervous to remove the tangs because I really really don’t want to lose them, but I don’t want to lose my whole tank either!!!!!!
Here's what you need to know...
1614823987329.png

1614824018428.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Amyloodinium, is VELVET!
Ok what do you recommend for safest copper treatment? I really don’t want to lose these guys! And how long should my dt stay without fish?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what you need to know...
1614823987329.png

1614824018428.png
Ask and you shall receive! Thank you, yeah I just looked up some pics of velvet on fish and I’m pretty certain that’s what it is. I don’t get paid until Friday, is there anything I can do to at least ease my fish till I get the medication?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound really stupid, but I’m going to ask it anyways because I don’t see anyone dumb as me to ask it... I have copper wire and copper powder in access from my girlfriends jewelry making, is there anything I could do with it to help with this until I get solution? Any diy copper teks??

Upvote 0

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound really stupid, but I’m going to ask it anyways because I don’t see anyone dumb as me to ask it... I have copper wire and copper powder in access from my girlfriends jewelry making, is there anything I could do with it to help with this until I get solution? Any diy copper teks??
That hasn't been done since the days of real copper pennies. There was a formula for pennies/gallon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys recommend quarantining my corals and inverts rather then the fish? And then running copper in my dt? All my corals are fairly new and would be a lot less of a pain to remove then destroying my whole dt trying to get the tangs and gobies out.

Upvote 0

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask and you shall receive! Thank you, yeah I just looked up some pics of velvet on fish and I’m pretty certain that’s what it is. I don’t get paid until Friday, is there anything I can do to at least ease my fish till I get the medication?

Not trying to be rude, but it's frustrating to read that you don't have a credit card or access to $6 to buy Cupramine before you get paid on Friday. Fish are animals and they shouldn't suffer because of an irresponsible owner. I'll buy it for you and you can pick it up at your lfs if need be. Pm me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude, but it's frustrating to read that you don't have a credit card or access to $6 to buy Cupramine before you get paid on Friday. Fish are animals and they shouldn't suffer because of an irresponsible owner. I'll buy it for you and you can pick it up at your lfs if need be. Pm me.
It’s the the beginning of the month man and all my bills were due I had 50 bucks to live off of for the week, I have 10 left, if it’s only 6 bucks I’ll just go ahead and get it myself, I really appreciate you offering though. And you are right, that’s why I really don’t want to lose anymore fish, I didn’t get into this hobby to slay fish. I got into it because I’m frigging amazed by them and their natural beauty. I used most of my savings to start up my tank and it has been a huge learning process, and an expensive one at that. But I’m not too broke to afford 6 bucks. appreciate your comment and concern. I really just needed help with what product people have tried and worked best for, and I was preparing for the medication to be expensive, because everything else is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a credit card by the way. And a savings account and a steady job, but I’m not a rich man. But almost all my money that I have goes into this hobby. Fyi

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stellabl3u

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the qt last night with cupramine. I lost one clown and my tomini this morning. And I can’t find my gobies anywhere! I stuck a bucket with some sand in the tank for them, is there a possibility they are buried under the sand??

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back